back to article Tesla Cybertruck gets cyberstuck during off-roading expedition

A Tesla Cybertruck owner who took his wheeled wedge off-road ended up with busted wheel fairings and self-detaching wheel covers for his trouble – and all without the thing being able to make it up a challenging hill. Ben Levin, a Cybertruck driver and owner of Tesla aftermarket services provider VoyageATX, shared his …

1. sarusa Silver badge
    FAIL

Sports Futility Vehicle

I just can't stop laughing every time I re-read 'Owner pledges to try again once software update improves performance.'

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Sports Futility Vehicle

Is this a car manufacturer we're talking about or Bethesda Softworks?!

1. Joe W Silver badge

It's a "soft roader".... :D

Ok, honest question: don't they have separate motors on each wheel? I thought at least some of the electric vehicles did that... I certainly would do that on an offroad vehicle, put a motor on every single wheel. Electronics are (despite what people say, and iff designed correctly) more sturdy and way more flexible than a mechanical solution (though I really do like ingenious mechanical devices). Then the computer can do the work of distributing power to the wheels.

1. H in The Hague

"Electronics are (despite what people say, and iff designed correctly) more sturdy and way more flexible than a mechanical solution (though I really do like ingenious mechanical devices)."

Hmm, not sure about that. One of my customers makes materials handling equipment used in demanding environments and one of their selling points is that they have fewer electronic systems than their main competitor, and rely more on hydraulic systems. Another customer is a user of extremely heavy handling equipment and they asked the manufacturer of the kit to fit fewer electronic systems to improve reliability.

1. sabroni Silver badge
            Boffin

Re: Hmm, not sure about that

Ah, the "despite what people say" bit.

2. LogicGate Silver badge

The problem with in-wheel motors is that they add a lot of mass in a place where you prefer to have little mass.

1. jmch Silver badge

True but I guess it should be possible to have a motor per wheel that is not in-wheel, ie not part of the unsprung mass

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Do you really want a hub motor to be the second point of suspension (after the tyre, and before the actual springs and shocks) when off-roading?

1. jmch Silver badge

"Do you really want a hub motor to be the second point of suspension (after the tyre, and before the actual springs and shocks) when off-roading?"

No, absolutely, I meant after both the tyre and the springs and shocks, hence "not part of the unsprung mass". What I was thinking of is that maybe you can have better control if the power to each wheel can be controlled individually. On the other hand, that was before I had read up on how a locking differential works..... one motor per wheel means that the power of that motor can't go anywhere else, so if the wheel isn't making contact with the ground, the power of that motor is lost. While if you have 1 axle motor which is double the power of the individual wheel motors (ie total power is the same), all the power can be directed to one wheel if the other isn't making contact.

In other words whether for on or offroading, 1 motor per axle plus a traditional differential (for on-road) or locking differential (for offroad) is still going to work better for the same equivalent power. Unless a motor is cheaper to produce than a differential, in which case you could spec per-wheel motors at the same power each as the per-axle motor, and not need a differential at all (allowing software control of the wheel motors to take the place of the differential)

3. jmch Silver badge
          Boffin

"don't they have separate motors on each wheel?"

I believe some early electric car designs tried that, but mostly standardised on one motor per axle, to minimise on complexity and cost. A related idea was in-wheel motors, but that fails as it adds unsprung weight to the wheel assembly. For a proper offroader I would expect a seperate motor per wheel might give some advantages... however ICE offroaders seem to manage fine with one engine and transmission/differentials pushing power to the wheels as necessary, so there's no reason (besides crappy software and/or transmission/differential hardware) that an electric car couldn't distribute power to the wheels from a per-axle motor.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I believe some early electric car designs tried that, but mostly standardised on one motor per axle, to minimise on complexity and cost.

Porsche tried this with an early hybrid off-road vehicle, which also struggled-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_II

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

For a contemporary off-road vehicle, wheeled though not electric and rear wheel drive only, this (I think) would be hard to beat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scammell_Pioneer

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer. Not just in 4x4 form, but 6x6 as well, which is a very capable machine, with 50% more traction. Locking diffs on all axles. Will climb 1:1 gradient fully laden, limited by traction/grip.

There are plenty of these around - ex-Swiss and Austrian Forces

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr-Puch_Pinzgauer

Came across a site a couple of years ago where someone was converting a Pinz with a Tesla motor - no idea what became of that

2. collinsl Bronze badge

There's some very interesting videos on YouTube (if you're into that kind of thing) showing how to recover vehicles and load tanks using a similar recovery vehicle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0Ps4UD_A4

2. Casca Silver badge

That was the Tiger P (VK 4501 P) not Tiger II

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

That was the Tiger P (VK 4501 P) not Tiger II

Yeah - the Tiger II's always seemed to stop just below the crest of the hill, with only the turret peeking over..

2. EricB123 Silver badge

I read about this very idea of a motor in every wheel in Popular Science 50 years ago. That magazine was always way ahead of it's time, and not always in a good way.

2. Spazturtle Silver badge

Bethesda at least publishes documentation on their engine and supports mods.

3. hoola Silver badge

It is a (not very well) designed computer that is in a box on wheels.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

If Alienware made a car...

2. simonlb Silver badge

So it got Cybertrucked when he tried to take it off road?

3. computing

That's what I though as I kept updating iOS on my iPhone 3GS and iPad 1. "It'll get faster with the next update"

Hey, don't laugh!!!

2. sarusa Silver badge
    Unhappy

Good lord, that was hardly even a hill

Sorry for double posting, but I finally watched the video, and wow... I've made it up worse in our Subaru Outback (Legacy) in Alaska with snow on the ground. The 'Durable and rugged enough to go anywhere' truck you paid $80,000 for, which can't even take bird poop without pitting, can't even handle a Juneau driveway our *family station wagon* can easily make it up while carrying 4 people and a full load of groceries from Freddy's.

1. jmch Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Good lord, that was hardly even a hill

To be fair, my experience with skiing videos is that slopes look much less steep on video than they are for real. So not sure a station wagon could have made it up (particularly because of the low clearance rather than necessarily the incline.

But ultimately, a subaru and Toyota costing maybe a third and a half of the tesla handled the slope with ease.

What grates isn't the crappy performance per se... It's that it's an 'in development' product but it's being sold, and the customers expected to do the beta testing. That's a shitty enough model in software, but for a car???

1. Ganso
        FAIL

Welcome to the future!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome to the Future?

and the wonderful world of subscriptions. This so called 'go anywhere' POS' will identify that you have gone off road and bill you $100 per hour for the [cough][cough] honour of using the vehicle that you have rented for $100,000 off the paved road.

Just a possibility of what/where things are going.

Stop the world, I wanna get off.

1. -maniax-
            Stop

> Stop the world, I wanna get off.

The "Stop the World" option is still in early development, please subscribe to our newsletter to be notified when it's ready for release

1. MyffyW Silver badge

I think Elon's "I want to get off" [world] tech is also still experiencing rapid unscheduled disassembly.

2. Mint Sauce
        Mushroom

"It's that it's an 'in development' product but it's being sold, and the customers expected to do the beta testing."

See Also: Boeing.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Trollface

Land Rover owners rejoicing

Cybertruck owners replacing them as the butt of Landcruiser jokes

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Land Rover owners rejoicing

Don't worry we take the pee out of most other off roaders, managed to deflate a Mitsubishi owner mentioning his bigger engine (of less power), and mines permanent 4WD.

What if there is no handy Land Rover to rescue the Jap offroader?

None of that off road course would trouble any of the proper LRs. And if you want to off road in total luxury buy a Range Rover.

One was going down a slope with a wheel in the air, Ireckon on that I would have 4 in contact with the ground.

1. Evil Scot Bronze badge

No Handy Land Rover? You get a Lada Niva.

Q: "And how much does this cost?"

A: "About the same as driving your Land Rover off the the forecourt."

Dealer: "And these cars have been known to rescue Land Rovers. See."

Customer: "That is the same car you are selling me"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And if you want to off road in total luxury buy a Range Rover

If you want to get stuck off road in total luxury you mean. Afraid those standard tyres are way too low profile to be of any use off road. Saw one nicely bogged on the beach a few weeks back - letting the tyres down wasn't going to provide any help there.

2. Porco Rosso

Regarding road whales ...

Give me the sensuality, the soft warm touch and future vision of the Range Rover design, hands down ( ooo thank you, thank you Mr. Massimo Frascella )

over that, that ... lifeless, cold, sterile, aggressive design of the Tesla Cybertruck. Just look at that windshield wiper, just look at it !!! man man ...

Frank Stephenson articulate it perfectly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPi6Cn4D5M

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My trusty Isuzu MUX has handled everything I have thrown at it. Done many outback roads. The oodnadatta, savannah way. Just come back from another 8000km road trip to QLD.

4. midwestMan

Subaru diff lockers?

Your mom in the Subaru didn't have diff lockers. Just saying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Subaru diff lockers?

"Your mom in the Subaru didn't have diff lockers. Just saying."

How do you know? Hardly the sort of thing you ask somebody else's mother.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Who can afford a specific locker for their diffs these days? I just keep them in the shed to go rusty like a sane person.

2. jmch Silver badge

Not sure about diff lockers but Subaru (while not being a very famous / acclaimed brand) has a lot of 4WD experience from their World Rally Championship racing. I'm sure any 4WD offroad vehicle from Subaru is going to be extremely capable

1. MJI Silver badge

Subaru do not make off road cars, they make cars capable of some off road usage, exept they are quite good at it.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Exactly. Subarus are road cars that are good for off-roading that's not too extreme (particularly regarding clearance, unless you have a Subaru with a significant aftermarket lift). They're not meant as hard-core off-roaders. My Volvo XC70 is similar; it has about 8" of clearance and a good AWD system with computer-controlled differentials which do a decent job of controlling slip. But it's a wagon (estate), so it's rather long for trails with very tight bends or dips.

Frankly, I think that's a good compromise. I occasionally do some off-roading with the Volvo, just as I might with a Subaru, if I had one. For more severe off-road stuff, I have a 4WD Toyota pickup truck with real high/low part-time 4WD, more clearance, and more suitable tires. But it's not nearly so nice for driving hundreds of miles on the Interstate.

The Cybertruck makes a different compromise. It's great for pretending you're a character in a video game, and rubbish for pretty much everything else.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Subarus are excellent cars for vets needing to attend to animals in a muddy field or down a farm track.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Blasted past many a Land Cruiser over the years in the companies Outback - poncing over the mush and ruts that LC's wallow in.

(Pro tip: Don't open the Subaru doors on really uneven ground, or you won't be able to close 'em until you get back on the flat.

Anyway, hardly fair putting a Muskmobile up against a Hilux or Outback. Perhaps a Morris Marina with 1 ton of old railway sleeps in the boot would be fair.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Foresters seem to be pretty handy and not too low to the ground to work as a good cross-over vehicle. Seen a few of them kicking around on the beach.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software update > Physics?

You have to hand it to the Muskovites.

Their devotion knows no bounds.

They’ll even suspend the laws of the universe if it means a greater devotion.

6. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Why would anyone continue to buy and trust a product from a company built on bullshit ?

1. alexinalnwick

Because he's heavily involved in it?

"Ben Levin, a Cybertruck driver and owner of Tesla aftermarket services provider"

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

"trust a product from a company built on bullshit ?"

What company isn't these days? And in most cases, how do you find out before it's too late?

First there was the stone age, when culture was driven by the use of stone. It worked because stone was useful.

Then there was the bronze age, when culture was driven by the use of bronze. Its advantage was that bronze was more effective for tools.

That was followed by the iron age, when culture was driven by the use of iron. Its advantage was that iron was stronger and more versatile.

Now we're in the bullshit age, and culture is driven by bovine excrement. Its advantage is that you can fool most of the people most of the time into emptying their wallets.

1. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Re: "trust a product from a company built on bullshit ?"

The problems starts with the American media, from Hollywood to tv stations. THey all praise and make gods out of corporate leadership and elevate them to the sky.

Try a few recent sitcoms or tv news broadcasts, if youa re a CEO its like god is speaking to us mortals and we must obey or respect their glorious opinion. Just take a look at the articles here, most of the quotes are from CEOs, a large concentration of all articles is about what some CEO thinks.

1. renniks

I reckon you could replace any CEO with a cavity-block, and the company would perform the same, if not better

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Can you show us on the doll where the CEO touched you?

I admit I watch few sitcoms or TV news segments, but I don't recall them fawning particularly over CEOs. In fact, all the sitcom plots I can recall which feature corporate officers make them either villains or objects of comedy.

Your dedication to grinding your axe regarding CEO quotations in the print media is admirable, or at any rate notable; but the reason why CEOs are quoted extensively in the print media is because that's how companies present public statements, and when reporting about a company a trade publication would be remiss not to at least note what the company's official public position is.

ive been watching murder mysteries....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder,_She_Wrote

Its just rediculous, dozens of episides and its always the rich person who just went to a charity event and donated lots of money who just got murdered.

rinse and repeat.

2. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

mw: Your dedication to grinding your axe regarding CEO quotations in the print media is admirable, or at any rate notable; but the reason why CEOs are quoted extensively in the print media is because that's how companies present public statements,

cow: WHy do we need these pointless fake public statements ?

mw: when reporting about a company a trade publication would be remiss not to at least note what the company's official public position is.

cow: Yet another worthless empty point. Basically all statements made by ALL ceos are completely useless and empty.

Have the recent statements by B ceo made any difference ?

Beside the bullshit does it actually change anything in terms of quality and safety at Beoing ? DOes it make the planes go faster ? Does it make the planes use less fuel ?

1. -v(o.o)v-

Current and former employees say that the Boeing CEO statements show that the company is now a shareholder value business and not an aerospace business. And that the comments are revealing how the CEO has no understanding whatsoever...

A whole day dedicated for fixing quality problems? Try 10 years.

Wow heres another example of American cultural brainwashing.

OUr riend voov just cant say the bloody obvious about the present and past ceos of B and basically all major corps. THey are nothing more than rats who try anythign and everything including killing people for a few more dollars.

3. hoola Silver badge

Marketing and brand.

A surprising number of people buy (lease) the stuff because of what it is not whether it actually fulfils the functions they need or is reliable.

7. DS999 Silver badge

Why do people keep trying to go off road in those things?

Just because Tesla claims they are "rugged enough to go anywhere"? Well they also claim (or at least their CEO does) that they will be able to drive themselves anywhere by 201 6 7 8 9 and be able to act as a self driving taxi and earn the owner over $100K per year by 2020.

Those things are obviously a toy SUV like more than a few sold in the US, that are not meant the leave the road any more than my Audi coupe is. Heck, if I had it jacked up to improve its ground clearance I'm pretty sure it would do a better job than the Tesla did in that video lol

1. tony72

Re: Why do people keep trying to go off road in those things?

As the guy in the article acknowledged himself, he's not an off-road person. There are plenty of reports from people who are that say the Cybertruck is actually a pretty good off-roader.

and given they have barely delivered a few dozen, theres absolutely no chance those opinions are not fixed.

2. druck Silver badge

Even a skilled off-road driver would fail as they aren't driving it, the computers are, and the software is unfinished crap.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

Independent suspension with no diffs and annoying nanny software stopping you from flogging the pants off it if needed? No. There is no way it's "actually a pretty good off-roader". A bit of greenlaning it'll probably do fine. Some dirt and sand is probably fine. Inclines, rocks and proper rock-crawling? Not happening in that thing.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

There are plenty of reports from people who are that say the Cybertruck is actually a pretty good off-roader.

And your source for this is what, exactly?

2. -maniax-

> Those things are obviously a toy SUV like more than a few sold in the US, that are not meant the leave the road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuguPUdYavE&t=153s

3. anonanonanonanonanon

I don't reckon most SUVs sold nowadays ever see so much as a dirt track

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

meant the leave the road any more than my Audi coupe is

Just asking - does your car have the (apparently) entirely optional turn indicators? Just that a lot of the Audis around here don't so it must be an expensive option..

1. kat_bg

I think you confuse Auds with BMWs in what regard turn signals. Audis are best know for riding right up the ass of the car in front

5. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

There are some guys on YouTube who have turned a written off Model 3 into a rock crawler with suspension and wheel mods (and some skid plates). It does a surprisingly good job.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boat

Has he tried using it as a boat yet?

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Boat

Might work best as a boat anchor.

9. Admiral Grace Hopper

No Giugiaro

I'm a fan of the 1970s folded paper school of car design, but my word, that is an ugly vehicle.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: No Giugiaro

Yeah, it's what Delorean might have built if he'd gone for a "truck" instead of a sports car :-)

1. zuckzuckgo

Re: No Giugiaro

I'll buy one when they replace the battery with the Mr Fusion power pack.

10. Neil Barnes Silver badge

"Durable and rugged enough to go anywhere"

There isn't a supermarket car park anywhere it can't conquer.

Which is probably fair enough, given the usual use of 4x4 vehicles on this side of the pond.

1. Roopee Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: "Durable and rugged enough to go anywhere"

Actually there are a great many supermarket car parks it wouldn't stand a chance in! It's hard enough parking my large estate in plenty of UK car parks, and that thing is way bigger...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Not to mention the ramps to the upper desk parking some have!

2. BartyFartsLast

I howled laughing a few years ago when some muppet couldn't work out how to reverse his H2 Hummer out of the small cul-de-sac I live on.

It was eventually driven out by a recovery truck driver.

Can't wait to see the first Cyberdreck get stuck.

11. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Wait a second...

So does the Cybertruck actually have a Locking Differential installed? Because without the hardware, no amount of software updates is going to fix that.

And IF they have a Locking Differential installed, why the hell have they not got it activated? I mean you are carrying around a not particularly light, and certainly not cheap, component that you cant use??? WTF???

Sales Droid "Hallo Sir, how can I help you?"

Customer "Yes, the new car I bought. Well, it seems to be much slower than it's supposed to be, the handling is bad, and it just seems well far too heavy."

Sales Droid "Yes sir. That would be the concrete block in the back."

Customer "Concrete block??? Why does it have a concrete block in the back."

Sales Droid "It's a provision for a future update."

Customer "A future update? What update?"

Sales Droid "The update will make the car better in all ways, Sir."

Customer "Like?"

Sales Droid "I'm afraid that's confidential at the moment."

Customer "Look can you just remove the concrete block."

Sales Droid "But then you wouldnt get any more updates, Sir."

Regular Customer "Remove the Concrete Block, NOW!!!"

Tesla Customer "Oh, ok then. Well I'll wait for the update then..."

12. Julian 8 Silver badge

Kerb

Not surprised since there was that clip / image of one struggling with a kerb

13. Zolko Silver badge

Joke ?

Sincerely, that car looks like a bad joke from some 80's cartoon. Do they really intend to mass-produce and -sell them ?

Re: Joke ?

Do they really intend to mass-produce and -sell them ?

Intend? Yes, Succeed? We'll have to wait and see (and be utterly unsurprised when the "mass" part is very, very limited. Won't stop Elmo from trump(eting) their success..)

14. Zbig
    Facepalm

So everything is software-defined now?

As iglethal put it more cleverly than I'll ever be able to: good luck waiting for your software update to magically implement a non-existent hardware feature. Don't hold your breath, mate. It's no less silly than expecting the next update to fix your busted plastic trim pieces. And no: software-triggered braking of the wheel that's lost traction doesn't amount to "locking diff".

Also, I chuckled a bit hearing an obvious fanboy calling Twitter "Twitter", repeatedly.

1. munnoch Bronze badge

Re: So everything is software-defined now?

But braking the spinning wheel is still better than nothing. My old L200/Warrior had that. It did ok in the mud although it did have a physical centre diff lock and low ratio. With a motor per axle you can definitely have a software defined centre diff.

Oddly though its the software that the car manufacturers seem to struggle with...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So everything is software-defined now?

Better than nothing, but it is reactive. You can get yourself into the shit in dodgy enough conditions before the system has a chance to react. Happened to me once when driving a water crossing and the bank collapsed in an old Isuzu. The system couldn't respond in time and left me with 2 wheels off the ground. The Hilux that pulled me out had a diff lock.

The new Isuzu range now has a diff lock.

15. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Elongated Muskrat strikes YET again

It just reminds me of Clive Sinclair and his various unfinished shite products

1. Lurko

Re: Elongated Muskrat strikes YET again

At least the C5 was only the most modest of threats to pedestrians.

16. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

self-detaching wheel covers

Isn't that a standard feature of all America cars? I saw those chase scenes on 70's TV! It wasn't a proper chase without wheel hubs coming off as the 3 ton cars wallowed around a "tight" turn leaning heavily. :-)

As for the linked video, "Hi guys, we're going REAL off roading this time, noi just the dirt tracks on my mates private land. THIS time were doing REAL off roading at a dedicated and specially designed off-roading centre" LOL, "REAL" off roading at a curated "theme park" :-)

17. BartyFartsLast

Cyberdreck

The furthest off road that fugly Wankpanzer was intended to go was the parking lot at the local Guns R 4 Tinypeens

Re: Cyberdreck

Wankpanzer

Don't recognise that tank model? Was it one that never made it into production in WW2 through someone finally coming to their senses?

18. Ahab Returns

Remind me again...

What was the point of this ugly piece of junk? I wasn't paying attention there.

19. Luiz Abdala
    Go

How about a physical differential?

A simple axle, a diff, and a solenoid actuacted locking pin on said diff.

There goes a DIY as a challenge for the mechanically inclined.

20. Randy Hudson

CT Missing features that were standard on cars 20 years ago.

Not having a locking diff is no excuse!

Even my old RWD Infiniti would use the ABS to stop the spinning wheel and transfer torque to the other side.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like