back to article STMicroelectronics slims to be lean, mean, chipmaking machine

Euro chipmaker STMicroelectronics is reorganizing into two product groups, down from three, saying it wants to boost efficiency and get closer to customers in a decision that will also cut overhead. The Swiss multinational said its new org chart will be effective February 5. As part of this move, the company is implementing a …

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Flame

ST CubeMX, ST Cube HAL

ST's software is some of the worst shite i have ever had the misfortune to have to use.

Why make a nice clean API when you can have hundreds of thousands of lines of generated boilerplate code with a buggy Java GUI as the sole configurator tool, have they heard of configuration as code? No they have not.

No wonder they are shrinking. Adding anything to the fetid bucket of rotten spaghetti that is CubeMX must be utterly soul destroying for their poor staff

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: ST CubeMX, ST Cube HAL

ST's software is some of the worst shite i have ever had the misfortune to have to use.

You probably have not used the others. Comparing to others, it's actually not too bad.

The UI may be buggy, but if you get around it, it is actually okay to use. Also these "thousands of lines" actually do something, it's not like they are throwing them out for giggles and it's actually much better to see what exactly is being done.

1. Mishak Silver badge

"these "thousands of lines" actually do something"

That is true, but it does cause a lot of pain when working to a functional safety standard that requires high levels of code coverage.

The design is also sub-optimal. For example, the TX and RX channels of a full-duplex, DMA driven SPI interface use a single lock object, which means the TX empty DMA interrupt can't be used to start another block transfer (with the RX of the first still running) as you get a "device busy" reported, you can't wait (in an interrupt) and so more complex management is required.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: "these "thousands of lines" actually do something"

I agree that SPI on the ST is generally broken. Works only for basic cases. If you want to do something more complex you are most likely better off using FPGA anyway.

2. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Envelope or envelop?

The MDRF group will envelope digital chips and microcontrollers

Presumably you mean envelop, to surround something, rather than envelope, in which one can often place a letter, but sometimes also other objects, especially when the envelope is brown. :-)

Or perhaps I'm to understand that chips and CPUs are to be stuffed in them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like