back to article Apple's easiest to replace battery is in... an iMac

The iFixit gang has rounded out their year by tearing into 2023's M3 iMac, where they found Apple's most replaceable battery yet. "The iMac battery is twice as repairable!" exclaimed iFixit before admitting that, yes, this was because there is just one battery lurking within the iPad-on a-stick. Still, once the screen and some …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"twice as repairable"

Twice of not much is still not much.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: "twice as repairable"

Hah, indeed. The reparability doubles, year on year!

0 * 2 * 2 * 2

= 0

... but to Apple's defense. At least the machines are getting thinner and thinner so they take up less space in the landfill :)

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Going out of their way

to make it non-upgradable.

No change from the fist M1 Mac then? El Fruity didn't do anything different for the iMac. Their approach to packaging stuff that has to be as near to the CPU as possible is well known now. They engineer their stuff to get their performance up. The farther RAM it is away from the CPU the slower the transfer rate. Basic Physics come into play here. Intel and AMD are doing the same with their Chiplet based packaging.

As for taking up less space in Landfill... Anyone who puts a Laptop or iMac with a metal case into Landfill should be made to dig it up. There is a lot of stuff that must be recycled.

I recently took a 2010 27in iMac to the recycling centre or what was left of it. I sold the working screen to another user. The HDD and Ram were also used on another aged iMac so there was not much left.

3. katrinab Silver badge
    Gimp

I would argue that the AirTag's battery is the most easy to replace, because you can pop off the cover, pull out the battery, and put a new one in.

Also, when the battery runs law, it gives you animated instructions on how to do that.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

I see your AirTag battery removal and raise you the CR2032 in the original AppleTV remote.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

I would say they are both about the same in terms of ease of replacement. The difference being it doesn't give you the animated instructions on how to replace it. Not important for people who read this website, but for normal people, it is likely very helpful.

4. Stuart Castle Silver badge

One thing I wish Apple would do, and I am a long term Apple fan, is an iPhone with an interchangeable battery. I'd like the opportunity to just swap my battery out when it dies. Yes, I know you can buy external battery packs, and I have, but you still need to have a USB or Lightning cable, and these are generally so crap nowadays they seem almost disposable. It would be much easier if I could just bung an extra battery in my pocket.

Failing that, provide a larger battery, or the option to have a larger battery, even if it means the phone is wider. I don't wear skinny fit jeans. I don't give a toss if my pocket bulges slightly. Either option would help minimise wear and tear on the one charging/data connection on your phone.

The same with laptops. I use a Macbook Pro M1 for work. I have it in a rucksack when it's not being used, so space isn't a concern. Yes, with the Apple Silicone, it can run for about 9-12 hours on the fully charge. Make the base twice as deep, so it can run for 12 hours without making heavy use of the power saving features, or even 24 hours with power saving. At least offer that as an option.

BTW, my comments apply to all smartphones, tablets and slimline laptops..

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

The 16" MacBook Pro has the largest battery you can legaly carry on an airplane, so they can't really make it any bigger than that. Obviously the smaller models could get larger batteries.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

the option to have a larger battery

Didn't Motorola go through a phase of doing that? (are they still doing it?) They would offer three versions of essentially the same phone; the "standard" version, the "lite" version which usually skimped on the camera and/or the storage to make the thing slightly cheaper, and the "power" version which might also skimp on the camera but had a bigger battery. Sometimes there was a "pro" version with better camera, more storage but not usually the bigger battery.

Of course, with the batteries all being non-replaceable these days (at one point I think the "standard" phones had user-replaceable batteries while the others didn't) it's still not a full answer I suppose.

M.

5. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"We shudder to think how much Apple would charge for such components; this is the company that asks £69 / €85.00 / $59 for a USB-C power adaptor."

A standard Apple USB-C power adaptor costs from £19.

I know el Reg's Apple hatred runs wide and deep, but come on; this is pathetic.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

That's a 20W adapter which will charge a phone just fine. The more expensive one is probably (no, I haven't looked) a 90W adapter for laptops. Actually - unless you are happy buying random no-brand Chinese cardboard - those prices don't seem to be hugely Apple-tax inflated. You could get a decent charger a couple of quid cheaper perhaps, and because everything-is-USBC these days, there's no problem doing that, even with Apple kit.

M.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Correct. Some Apple products are hideously overpriced (Mac Pro wheels, FineWoven “premium” cases, many Apple Watch straps) but USB-C chargers are priced in line with other equivalent quality adapters from other manufacturers.

PS the most powerful Apple USB-C adapter is 140W for $99/€99. Equivalent adapters from Belkin, Mophie, UGreen and Anker all (non-)coincidentally also cost $99/€99.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like