back to article Suffering from tab overload? Vivaldi unveils Session Panels

Vivaldi – the browser for users who just can't get enough settings – has launched version 6.5 of its software on desktop and mobile. On the desktop, the most notable new feature is the addition of the Sessions Panel. This is aimed at users who simply can't let go of all those opened tabs. According to Vivaldi: "A Session can …

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

So now we have "Nested Tabs"

The feature itself is fine. But my first thought was, of course, sarcastic.

1. shazapont
      Alert

Re: So now we have "Nested Tabs"

Trust the sarcasm…

Users aren’t great at decision-making, so as the options increase, the decisions become more random.

Session? Yeah, my non-tech friends know what those are. Just like they know what passkeys, FIDO, SSO (or was that meant to be SSL? Who knows!), SSD, SSM, SAS, SAAS, SOS, etc, are. Some of my tech friends might have a problem with many of these, too.

What a mess.

But Im sure it’s Made with heart-emoji, so that’s great.

— Shaza DuPunk —

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So now we have "Nested Tabs"

"I sense a disturbance in the sarcasm"

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

I already have a goddamned window manager on this machine

If I wanted a tabbed window manager, I would be running one.

I was able to turn it off on Firefox but I still have to fight Edge about it.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: I already have a goddamned window manager on this machine

I haven't updated Vivaldi yet to this latest version, but in general it's been pretty good about making things configurable. I have a whole host of features disabled, and many of them aren't enabled by default.

3. aerogems Silver badge

Now if only

If only they would add reply-to header support in their email app, I might finally have a viable alternative to Thunderbird.

4. xyz Silver badge

Now if only 2

On Vivaldi mobile... I could remember how to find my bookmarks, they got shot of that stupid "preview" mode, didn't reload a half completed form when I move to another app.. E. G. Email to get a bit of info the form requires and recognises that my Dragino gateway/router was not the spawn of the devil.

Apart from that it's a shite site better than Opera.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Now if only 2

Bookmarks?

If mobile, you click on the menu and click "Bookmarks".

However, it seem at one point to file them sometimes under "Mobile Bookmarks", which you find as above, but then you have to click the arrow next to the "Bookmarks" text and there it is.

I spent a fair while sorting that quirk out.

5. Steve Graham

I've been using Vivaldi as my main general-purpose browser for a while now, but it's looking as though I'm not the target audience. A previous "feature", stacks of tabs, came enabled after one update, and I had to search the internet to find out how to disable it. We'll see if this new, superfluous facility is "opt-in" or "opt-out".

At most, I might have 3 open tabs at once, and even then, I can only read one of them at a time.

1. esque

So "settings", "tabs", "tab groups" with actual pictures of how this feature looks when activated was not obvious enough for you?

2. nintendoeats Silver badge

Stacked tabs are hawt. Example, I often have two tabs that I tile side-by-side, and I can put them in one tab stack together. Works for me, but not for thee.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same here. I have one which is for my communications, outlook, skype and teams on one tiled stack (4k monitors so has the space).

Then I have that set to a workspace, so i can just swap to it in the workspace dropdown.

Have that for groups of tab stacks also, to make it easy (for some things anyway) to fined. I have far too many tabs open, as i do not always follow my rule to use specific workspaces for specific things so sometimes end up searching for the same thing again, forgetting to just do a tab search using F2 to find it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When UI changes are not OK

UI experiments are great for new browsers, but NOT OK for stable products, like Chrome.

Chrome Refresh 2023 made me panic. Firefox lost me as a user for many radical and non-intuitive UI changes.

Why or why to change a stable product. Make a new experimental one and see it it sticks, if your hands are itchy.

7. nintendoeats Silver badge

Don't quite get sessions, we already have workspaces (and I only just got used to using those).

Is Vivaldo a creaky java-based web browser wrapped around a CLI web rendering engine written in TCL?

1. teebie

Vivaldi is the browser, a vivaldo is someone who uses vivaldi. As in <shouts from a cheap car with expensive alloys> "Oi, vivaldo, how are you enjoying your 4 layers of tab nesting. Ahhhhhh"

Or it's a typo, I'm not sure which

2. nintendoeats Silver badge

Am thinking that either downvoters really like sessions, or do not get my joke.

3. vekkq

I use multiple accounts in Vivaldi to meet those needs. Having a separate browser history beats the other options imo.

Vivaldo? Java? Worse. the UI runs on node & react.

8. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

syncing history

synchronizing a user's entire browser history across all devices

I cannot imagine ever wanting to do this. The whole point of having different devices is that they are for different purposes.

1. nintendoeats Silver badge

Re: syncing history

Because sometimes you are looking at something on your phone and then later want to look at it on your desktop?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like