back to article Microsoft's relationship with OpenAI now in competition regulator's sights

The UK's competition regulator wants to know if recent changes at OpenAI and its evolving relationship with Microsoft are cause for concern. Specifically, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is asking interested parties to comment on whether the "partnership" between the two tech vendors, "including recent events" …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Completely Meaningless Agency

CMA again is grabbing headlines on meaningless stuff.

When are they going to dig into stuff that actually matters?

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: Completely Meaningless Agency

I would far rather see then be proactive rather that wait until market dominance has already been established and competition crushed at which point the CMS become a toothless tiger.

But this is largely irrelevant for UK economy.

There are more pressing issues, that actually could make a difference, but they do nothing about that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

elsergio: "When are they going to dig into stuff that actually matters?"

Like what?

And since something is bugging you, have you actually reported your concerns to the CMA, and your MP?

Things like UK stores giving platform to sellers from overseas that sell products without certifications and meeting safety norms or UK government itself removing small business from participation in the IT services market curbing competition.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Things like UK stores giving platform to sellers from overseas that sell products without certifications and meeting safety norms

Report each product you're concerned about to Trading Standards. There's an established product safety system in the UK, it will deal with any instances you report. As a rule, it's less UK stores doing this, more the online marketplaces, and that's an area of continuing work by the UK product safety regulator. Take a look at the list of national recalls and safety actions: https://www.gov.uk/product-safety-alerts-reports-recalls

or UK government itself removing small business from participation in the IT services market curbing competition.

Report that to the CMA: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/contact-the-cma

Report each product you're concerned about to Trading Standards.

Now you have a sense of humour. I guess you have never interacted with equally useless Trading Standards.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Actually I have, and I also work within the UK safety and standards system, so i understand how things should work, and how they do work.

Trading Standards do a great job, allowing the fact that they're so poorly resourced by many local authorities. It's not a blue light service so you can't expect immediacy or miracles, but the system works, and pressure is put upon online marketplaces to meet the requisite standards, and there's moves in progress to improve the regulations to better cover modern supply chains. I take it that instead of moaning, you responded to the recent consultation on the Product Safety Review?

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

CMA first, who next?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Google and Meta's lawyers have seen this and are starting work on FTC complaints as we speak. (I know Musk also has an AI company, but given his recent form I wouldn't be surprised if his legal department got fired along with half the staff of Twitter.)

Where's the "what's all this about" icon when we need it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like