back to article Nostalgia for XP sells out Microsoft's 2023 'Windows Ugly Sweater'

Microsoft has once again reminded us of a time when its operating systems only drove us three-quarters around the bend, by issuing the latest Windows Ugly Sweater that features the default Bliss wallpaper of Windows XP. We at Vulture Central are big fans of the Windows Ugly Sweater, although possibly not for the reasons …

1. MJI Silver badge

Teletubbies

They are missing.

Eh-oh

1. GlenP Silver badge

Re: Teletubbies

I was at one of the UK launch events for XP (not sure how I got an invite). It only took a few seconds from the image being displayed to the product being dubbed Tellytubby Windows.

2. b0llchit Silver badge
    Coat

Of course sold out

Have you seen the landscape presented on that sweater? You can no longer find that kind of nice landscape in the real world. No wonder everybody wants one of these sweaters. It is to enjoy once again the vision and perils of a clean relaxing environment just before it comes crashing down on you.

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Of course sold out

Had I designed the ladies' sweaters I would have put some Start buttons on the tops of those hills.

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Had I designed the ladies' sweaters.....

Ha ha ha! Because women have breasts!

Saucy but hilarious!

2. 43300 Silver badge

The grass in the Windows XP wallpaper looks like either astroturf or something which has been drenched with week killer. Definitely not a 'nice landscape'.

1. phuzz Silver badge

It's a real photograph of a hill covered in grass, which had grown since vineyards had been removed. It's that shade of green because of the weather at the time, and possibly because of the film used, but it's not been touched up or photoshopped.

These days the vines have been replanted.

1. 43300 Silver badge

That's as maybe, but as there appear to be no other plants among the grass there has clearly been some heavy herbicide use there!

2. JWLong

I happen to live on the Palouse where the original image was shot. Microsoft bought and paid for the entire field of WHEAT, then spray painted it green for effect.

1. phuzz Silver badge
            Facepalm

Why let reality get in the way of a good story eh? Still, you have to admit, it's pretty forward thinking of Microsoft, doing all that for a photo taken in 1996, before they'd even released Win98, let alone XP.

2. Johannesburgel12

> I happen to live on the Palouse where the original image was shot. Microsoft bought and paid for the entire field of WHEAT, then spray painted it green for effect.

Troll harder.

1. JWLong

> I happen to live on the Palouse where the original image was shot. Microsoft bought and paid for the entire field of WHEAT, then spray painted it green for effect.

Troll harder.

What I'm I trolling, I stated a fucking fact you moron!

Now, take your bot app back to the outhouse where it belongs.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All that homogenised well trimmed grass.

That is not a natural landscape at all.

It looks like the produce of pastoralism but that's looking with British eyes.

1. Johannesburgel12

You should go out more. Plenty of places in the world look like this. I actually took a very similar image in Bulgaria about ten years ago.

3. Rob

I'll stick to getting a Jim'll Paint It version which is a fair bit cheaper and more entertaining.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Pint

Yes got an Ainsley Harriot one, but was delayed and came through to late for the christmas party that year, which was a shame.

Wore it last year though

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Indeed.

His Teletext one was rather nice, although sold out before I got the money together for one.

3. William Towle
      Happy

> I'll stick to getting a Jim'll Paint It version which is a fair bit cheaper and more entertaining.

https://creativechair.org/wp-content/webp-express/webp-images/doc-root/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Teletubbie-1.jpg.webp possibly?

(Teletubbies rather than the desktop background, admittedly)

I'd forgotten about the former employer that went with Jim'll Paint It images for the break room wall ... Fred Dibnah vs Sauron, notably :)

4. Craig 2

Next year's Windows 8 ugly sweater will try and double between a sweater and a coat and fail at both.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Devil

If this year's was from XP, surely next year will be Vista?

I'll leave what the image should be up to your imaginations...

5. DJO Silver badge

55 percent cotton and 45 percent acrylic

So it's multi-threaded.

6. MSArm

Well done Microsoft, another winner

I would willingly sell my house, my car and all my possessions to buy one of these.

(Adaption from not the nine o'clock news)

7. MarkB

I'd rather have the Ugly T-shirt from Gibson's "Zero History"...

8. C. P. Cosgrove
    Facepalm

re: Teletubbies

I always quite liked the default XP wallpaper, technically it's a pretty good photo.

But I always felt it needed something coming over the hill even if only Indian war bonnets as per traditional horse operas. Instead, about four years ago with more time on my hands one morning than was good for me I did a pretty quick and dirty Photoshop job and, Lo ! It turns out I was a trendsetter and didn't know it ! TeleTubbies, anyone ?

I still have it in my collection of preferred wallpapers and even run it occasionally. Sad, isn't it ?

Chris Cosgrove

1. 6th

Re: re: Teletubbies

Especially sad due to the superior desktop background: Prairie Wind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like