back to article You're next, game devs. Now Microsoft to bring character, story design copilot to Xbox

Microsoft today started what it promises will be a multi-year partnership with an AI gaming startup that will let developers use generative neural networks to create characters, dialog, and adventures for Xbox games. Founded in 2021 and backed by M12, Microsoft's venture capital arm, Inworld AI has been trying to make a "fully …

1. Steven Raith

Translation service (not AI)

"We want to help make it easier for developers to realize their visions, try new things, push the boundaries of gaming today and experiment to improve gameplay, player connection and more,"

No, you don't want to pay writers, animators and voice actors. For anyone who didn't watch the video, it looks and sounds absolutely fucking terrible because, guess what, AI can't intonate properly.

"You're going ON a MISSION. here's YOUR gun" etc.

Laughable bollocks that they should get pilloried for, and rightly so.

After all, can't give those big studio heads their multi-million dollar bonuses if they have to pay artists to make art, can we?

Steven R

(I've just finished Talos Principle 2, and they managed to craft good dialogue trees, have very solid voicework, decent animation and they're a developer with about 40 staff - very much the on the small and indy side of things - and their game comes over like a AAA game. If they can do it with their limited resources, the Bethesdas and Ubisofts of the world have no excuse - but then Croteam aren't trying to make all the money, all the time, at any cost, are they now?)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong place for stories

I think you'll find these stories aren't for tech press. The first is for financial press, firm uses AI to reduce cost and increase profits by replacing humans with crap software. The other is marketing guff, best left in the shit bucket. Next year they'll produce an opposite filter so your friends can hear when you're consuming cheap industrial edible products with huge margins and insert adverts and latency in your streams until you do likewise.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Wrong place for stories

"It sounds like your friend BALLBAGBUSTER69420 is eating Roysters potato chips, the tasty baked - not fried potato snack - that's part of healthy and balanced diet - would you like to order a six pack on Amazon Prime, sponsored by Verizon Wireless?"

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Headmaster

"continue to eat while staying in conservation with others"

I do that all the time.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

The AI Revolution is Rotten to the Core - an 80 minute video which looks at "AI" in gaming, amongst other things. Fewer people will be hired and their jobs will be reduced from creating to fixing AI-generated nonsense which often means redoing it completely anyway.

5. thosrtanner

Doritos are NOT crisps. They're tortilla chips. Please have some respect for the thinly sliced deep fried root vegetable.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

They're tortilla chips.

If they have anything to do with real tortillas then I'll eat my hat (which probably has fewer ingredients than Doritos).

6. kgilvin1

*The Doritos noise cancellation feature is only available with the Doritos Ultra Deluxe Cheese DLC pack.

7. Omnipresent Bronze badge

sounds like the beginning

of a fully realized virtual simulation. The matrix is real.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like