back to article ICE faces heat after agents install thousands of personal apps, VPNs on official phones

America's immigration cops have pushed back against an official probe that concluded their lax mobile device security potentially put sensitive government information at risk of being stolen by foreign snoops. Between April 27 and August 17, the US Department of Homeland Security Office of the Inspector General conducted an …

1. elDog

The old "ask the PR department of the agency what they think"

You'll get back the standard boilerplate, sometimes changed with actual agency/corporate names in the template.

"We take your security concerns very seriously. Our customers are our most important product and we will protect their secret information as if it is our own."

Foxes guarding hen houses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I tried to search for phones that don't allow installation of any apps, except by privileged administrators. Isn't that the solution for ICE, the military, and Congress?

There are PC setups that don't allow installations (or at least make it difficult for the average user).

1. FirstTangoInParis Bronze badge

It’s called Mobile Device Management (MDM). Admins use it to control what a mobile device can and can’t do, force corporate apps and controls. Most allow a personal bit too, so you can load what you like so long as you don’t mind corporate checking the dodgyness of said apps.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Mushroom

"ICE employs a multi-tiered digital security posture to protect ICE data which includes mobile device management software to control what a device can and cannot do"

So ICE dully authorized its thugs to install all of this crap. Thanks for confirming your ineptitude.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

We've seen this in a number of instances now. Organisations whose role is security are rubbish at securing their own systems.

5. sitta_europea Silver badge

Y'know, we prevent an enormous of crime here in the UK by preventing the average Joe from having a handgun.

Isn't it about time we prevented the average Joe from shooting himself in the foot with his computer/mobile/doorbell/baby monitor/sex toy/toaster?

Of course it's different in the USA. Over there, the right to shoot yourself in the foot is enshrined in the Constitution.

1. Pete Sdev Bronze badge
      FAIL

It appears that in the USA the right to shoot *other people* in the foot or any other body part is enshrined in the US constitution.

Personally I doubt that's what the constitution authors had in mind, but then again, I'm not an expert in US constitutional law.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standards?

Don't the Feds have to adhere to NIST 802-171 and CMMC (cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification) controls? As a DOD contractor, I have not seen my customers adhere to these standards.

7. PB90210

"No evidence of nefarious activities"

Well to be honest, we weren't actually checking... so, yes, we have no evidence

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like