back to article US Commerce Dept pinky swears it won't push American spyware on world-plus-dog

The US Commerce Department has promised to stop promoting American-made commercial spyware to foreign governments. In a letter sent to US Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), the federal government dept finally provided details about the policies adopted by its International Trade Administration (ITA) intended to prevent any further …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least they don't sell anything that actually kills people to any of these regimes...

2. very angry man

WTF

the ITA concludes that any American goods could cause harm, then it's supposed to decline export promotion and assistance.

This from the worlds largest manufacturers of things that kill people, do the merkins think that the world is that stupid, ok stop laughing, the world is.......

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

Re: WTF

'Do as I say, not as I do'

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: WTF

Yes, if we can't solve every problem, we shouldn't try to solve any problems.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So no more help for Google, Microsoft and Meta then?

I believe it when I see proof. Oh, and Adobe - let's not forget the backdoor.

4. martinusher Silver badge

Spot the fine print....

The promise is not to promote commercial spyware.

As far as I know the NSA and sister agencies don't offer their products for sale.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spot the fine print....

Apart from the private efforts of their more entrepreneurial staff

5. Bebu Silver badge
    Windows

World plus dog...

To paraphrase the late Robert Morely in his Heinz Tomato "Big Red" soup advert - "World plus dog" ... Really! Señor Reg?

What was wrong with the stock "every man and his dog" or indeed "Tom, Dick and Harry?"

I cannot see that half the population jostling to be included with these undistinguished, uncritical polloi.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like