back to article Cloudflare dashboard, API service feeling poorly due to datacenter power snafu

Cloudflare is having a bad day amid reports of problems with its dashboard and API service following datacenter power issues. The web security provider said cached files served via the Cloudflare CDN and other security features at the Cloudflare Edge were unaffected, however, the dashboard and API are most definitely not well …

1. Dr Who

Who polices the policeman

Cloudflare provides reliability and continuity services to a *lot* of customers. There is nobody providing those same services to Cloudflare.

As well as these latest incidents, their distributed DNS name services (which are used as the default in a lot of data centre environments, in the same way as Google's name servers are set as defaults in may places) went tits up on the 2nd of October with intermittent fails for the same lookups. Again that was due to a reconfiguration / upgrade snafu.

2. Bitsminer Silver badge

multiple generator failures

Infected by the LackofDiesel virus I assume?

1. ChoHag Silver badge

Re: multiple generator failures

Of course not! I'm sure they test for it regularly.

1. usbac Silver badge

I've never understood this. Companies are quick to point out that they "exercise" their generators once a week. They test them by idling them for a few minutes, and then shut them down.

I would ask: When was the last time you ran them at 80% load for a solid week, at a hot time of the year? How about in subzero temperatures?

Many years ago I was shopping for a mid-sized diesel generator for agricultural use. I visited a company in a nearby state that sold and repaired generators. They took me out to the back of the building and showed me their load testing setup. It was a large, two-story metal cage with a whole bunch of very big resistors. They could load test up to 500KW continuously. They told me that once they repaired a generator, they would run it at 100% load for 24 hours before they would release it.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

If they're old generators that run as clean as a pile of burning tires, it could have been the local government telling CF to shut them off.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Workday?

Anyone know if the Workday outage is related? Workday is currently down "due to a power outage".

4. Reginald O.
    FAIL

Sure, blame the generator...

"... which triggered a rollback … which failed". I hate it when that happens. It's definitely a "bad thing".

However, trying to blame some defenseless imported generators for the more recent debacle seems un-ninja like for the CF cyber warriors.

Sounds like something I would say.

5. t245t Silver badge
    Terminator

Multiple generator failures

“there were multiple generator failures that took the facilities entirely offline.”

When was the last time anyone tested the generators. They do have a scheduled test of such?

"We have failed over to our disaster recovery facility”

Is that an accurate quote ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like