back to article Date night from hell looms for Apple as Netherlands says: 'It's not me, it's you'

Apple's amended App Store rules for dating apps in the Netherlands reportedly remain anticompetitive in the eyes of the Netherlands' Authority for Consumers & Markets (ACM), raising the possibility that further changes will be required. Bloomberg says it has seen an unreleased confidential decision from the Dutch competition …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least AI...

...means dating apps will be less boring.

At the moment, it's just fake profiles with pictures. With AI you'll be able to chat with the fake profiles and pictures.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: At least AI...

How long will it be before it will just be AI apps talking to AI apps with no human beings involved at all?

2. Justthefacts Silver badge

EU Very Large Online Platforms…..

So, perhaps the Commission could explain why their VLOP overreach isn’t being applied to the Match group as well, which includes Tinder as well as other apps making easily two-thirds of the market. Legal criteria: More than 45 million monthly users; instant messaging capability, tick; user-profiling tick; recommender system, tick; adverts, tick.

Not that it’s hard to guess.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: EU Very Large Online Platforms…..

As far as I can tell, they don't qualify for the number of users threshold. I don't have great numbers on how many users they have today, but the numbers I have* suggest that they might have about 40 million worldwide. The EU requires that they have 10% of the EU, so they might qualify if literally all of those were there, but otherwise they're likely too small to qualify as a VLOP. They can still come under other EU legislation, from competition law given their large share of the market to privacy legislation (I don't know what their privacy policies are, but I'm guessing it's bad).

* The statistics I've found online are are from a few years ago or are limited to paying users. I've extrapolated to try to guess what it might be now, but that's easy to estimate incorrectly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like