back to article Uncle Sam orders Nvidia to cease most AI chip sales in China 'immediately'

Restrictions on the export high-performance AI accelerators to China have already gone into effect, Nvidia informed investors in a Monday regulatory filing. Last week, the Biden Administration further restricted the GPUs and AI accelerators for which it will issue export licenses to countries of concern — mainly China but also …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

Can you

Take a 4090 GPU chip and make a AI card?

1. Jon 37

Re: Can you

You can run AI code on any graphics card.

Dedicated AI cards don't have a socket for a display, but are otherwise the same as a graphics card.

The chips used are also optimized differently, so using a GPU chip will be a bit slower. E.g. an AI chip may remove some bits of the chip that are not needed for AI, and add more copies of the bits that are needed for AI. An AI chip may also be designed for performance in ways that would be too expensive or use too much electrical power for a gaming graphics card.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Mill

I believe they have likely realised that an adversary could input all available information about a country into the AI, train it, and then inquire:

'Provide 10 straightforward steps to derail this country.'

'What's one tactic the government of country X would hate?'

'Which rare earth mineral supplies should I disrupt to inflict the most damage on country X?'

and so forth.

However, this would lead to many redundancies at intelligence agencies. Hence, they would probably disrupt it before it became a reality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mill

It's a scary idea. AI is not intelligent, it's regurgitating existing word associations.

Asking that kind of question would likely return scenarios from Hollywood or novels, which are fine as entertainment, but not actual ways to do agreements in real life.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Mill

it's regurgitating existing word associations.

As most people working in governments do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Real use case...

>> "I believe they have likely realised that an adversary could input all available information about a country into the AI, train it, and then inquire:"

You forgot another one in your list:

- Have pro-Chinese bots generate pro-Chinese/anti-US comments in the comment sections of the vulture articles whenever one comes up about Huawet or China.

That would save some human manual work.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Real use case...

Pro-Chinese bot here.....

Sometimes a little common sense sounds a lot like 'pro-Chinese' propaganda. In reality if I wanted to come up with a dastardly plan to undermine the US I think I couldn't do any better than we're doing to ourselves already. So I sound a bit contrarian because I think what we're doing at the moment is fundamentally suicidal.

Unlike many Americans, real or wannabe, I don't think that the world owes us a living. Based on where I live and my work profile I think I've got a pretty good handle on what's popularly called technology. I've watched that business gradually slide from being 'unique' to 'major' to 'do we still have any?' over the last few decades.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Dear pro-Chinese bot. This was a honey pot. We were trying to evaluate the prevalence of the CCP bots from the downvotes. They dutifully obliged.

In absolute, sharing technology is good. If you read Jared Diamond, you know what I'm talking about. But there is a thin line to tread between teaching people to fish and giving your sworn enemy the means to prevail against you.

As long as China persists with their "revenge-time-has-come, you-ugly-gwailos" rhetoric, it would be foolish to oblige. Let them grow up and calm down. All we need to do, following the Chinese proverbial strategy, is to wait by the river.

Totalitarian regimes will never manage to retain bright people and efficient entrepreneurs. Examples abound: USSR, Erdogan's Turkey, Burma, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. China can try to catch up with the West but as long as mad Winnie is in charge, Silicon Valley and Wall Street will always be ahead. Moderna will always be better than Sinopharm. Jack Ma will always feel more free to love Hangzhou from his New York estate than from Qincheng prison.

The free world does not use its freedom to enslave others but to freely carry on progressing. Follow who wants. Stay behind who can't play by the rules.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"free world" - LOL

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Until Xi is gone, nothing in China will change. Xi is just Mao Mark 2.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for Chinese companies.

Chinese firms including Huawei have been developing their own versions of Nvidia’s best-selling chips, including the A100 and the H100 graphics processing units (GPU).

Huawei's Ascend AI chips are comparable to Nvidia's in terms of raw computing power, analysts and some AI firms such as China's iFlyTek (002230.SZ) say, but they still lag behind in performance.

Charlie Chai, an analyst with 86Research, said Nvidia's ecosystem dominance was not "an insurmountable obstacle if domestic players are given sufficient time and a big customer base".

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Facepalm

Good for Chinese companies.

It certainly does seem there is $5 billion waiting to be handed to those who can come up with home-grown goods

And those wanting those chips might even be inclined to throw wads of R&D money in their direction to make it happen rather than go without. And then there's the long-term benefit of being a supplier of preference once they've done it. Plus the benefit for China, its businesses and citizens, that the money stays in the local economy not mailed to America.

I do hope China remembers to send the US a Christmas "thank you" card.

4. EricB123 Bronze badge

Remember the Old Days Second-source Requirement?

"'Company does not anticipate that the accelerated time of the licensing requirements will have a near-term meaningful impact on its financial results,' the SEC filing reads."

Maybe non near term, overseas customers might want a second-source from a company not headquarted in the US?

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Just whenever you are thinking it can't get worse ...... the markets face an existential crash

Whilst there would surely be many millions/billions worldwide unlikely to complain, it is quite odd, this witnessing of Uncle Sam's Western style hara-kiri antics in everything they be attempting to achieve in foreign realms and strange lands.

Is the leadership ill and intent on fulfilling a demented death wish? Is global competition and local opposition alike to its radically failing fundamental programs making itself felt and exacting a terrible irreversible toll?

If so, change the fcuking radically failing fundamental programs would be a worldly wise leading prime first step for any new world order project, methinks.

It's not rocket science, simply pure common sense for the hosting and toasting of advanced intelligence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like