back to article DC elections agency warns entire voting roll may have been stolen

The US Capital's election agency says a ransomware crew may have stolen its entire voter roll, which includes the personal information of all registered voters in the District of Columbia. The DC Board of Elections (DCBOE) first became aware of the intrusion on October 5, when a criminal gang called RansomVC claimed to have …

1. abend0c4

A ransomware crew might have stolen its entire voter roll

It's rather less ambitious than attempting to steal an entire election.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Actually, Florida sells this

They sell CDs with everything except SSN.

It's not exactly the voter role, it's the list of everyone with a driver's license, but that's not much different.

They warn you if you email a state agency, your email address becomes public record, and is available for sale.

I am not joking.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Actually, Florida sells this

It's quite pragmatic. They operate under the assumption that data will be stolen and sold regardless, so why not preempt the thieves?

2. elip

Re: Actually, Florida sells this

Yes, *most* states do. Check the fine prints the next time you renew your driver's license.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Response

The elections agency says it will now contact all registered voters

And do what? Give people new identities, addresses, jobs and whatnot?

I mean, you can't unsteal someone's identity.

1. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Response

Hopefully they didn't got any biometric data:

- Hi Doctor, I would like to change my fingerprint and Iris

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Response

No problem, just touch this red-hot ball and look into this laser...

4. martinusher Silver badge

Wrong Headline

Voter registration information is public domain** so the headline shouldn't be "Ransomware gang steals voter roll" so much as "Voter roll not backed up properly".

(**Obviously some information -- SSN, driver's license, signature images and so on wouldn't be part of the public facing part.)

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

Re: Wrong Headline

>>> SSN, driver's license, signature images and so on wouldn't be part of the public facing part.)

Oh sweet and innocent youth....

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Wrong Headline

Voter registration information is public domain

It sort of is here too - except you can tick a box that keeps your information off the public Electoral Roll..

5. LogicGate Silver badge

Voting in DC?

I thought the good people living in Washington DC did not get to have a vote?

There must be some downside to not paying taxes, since, taxation without representation would be tyranny.

1. blackcat Silver badge

Re: Voting in DC?

They do get a vote but as DC is not considered a state it has no senators and the rep in the house has less powers than those from proper states.

1. LogicGate Silver badge

Re: Voting in DC?

Thus they do not need these data in the first place :P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like