back to article Biden has brought the ban hammer down on US export of AI chips to China

With the latest round of trade restrictions on AI chips, the Biden Administration is poised to all but cut off the Chinese market from high-end GPUs and accelerators - not just in the datacenter, but at home as well. The rules, announced this week, seek to prevent US persons or companies from furthering the People's Republic …

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Good write-up

Thanks

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What a Lemon ...... when the Future is Orange says AI?

According to the BIS filing, the agency is seeking public comment and "input from [infrastructure-as-a-service] providers on the feasibility for them in complying with additional regulations in this area, how they would identify whether a customer is 'developing' or 'producing' a dual-use AI foundation model, and what actions would be needed to address this national security concern while minimizing business process changes that would be required to comply with these regulations.”

That situation for publishing and the giving of thanks is akin to turkeys voting for Xmas ...... and it is not one ever destined to be successful and a root and route for progress and support and reward whenever so clearly constrictive and perversely intended to invariably only temporarily render an inequitable advantage for misuse and abuse which will be directed by intellectually challenged stakeholders and zombie ponzi partners alike at others.

Do you see it not being so ..... rather than impossible to deny and therefore more likely than not the abiding future fate of all such filings? Be honest now, don’t deceive yourself, for it will be you suffering the consequences of such misactions/slings and arrows of great misfortune ‽

Time for an expansive rewrite, El Reg, of Rise of the Machines: How computers took over the stock market. Things most definitely aint what they used to be when everything is constantly rapidly changing and there’s no going back to the way things were, for is not IT and AI and Mass Main Stream and Alternative Media Machinery now leading what Humanity is following?

3. J.G.Harston Silver badge

At least these are objectively physical measurements, and not the previous subjective "could be used for military purposes" crap. A PENCIL "could" be used for military purposes.

But, yes, all it means is that manufacturers will make XKC4799 versions that will be under the XKC4800 limit. Could be as simple as a small delay line on the the clock input, or even just document the device as "2.4GHz" instead of "2.5GHz". How can they stop the end-user overclocking a part after they've bought it? I got my 25MHz ARM3 running at 33MHz perfectly happily for 20+ years.

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

Once again no matter what the restrictions the US announce, it won't stop the Chinese government getting hold of whatever AI accelerators they want through the grey/black market. So this is just another way of claiming they are stopping them being used for military use but its more about trying to stop Chinese companies catching up or getting ahead in AI.

After all the US can't stop the tonnes of illegal drug and weapons flowing across its border every year what makes them think they can stop high end GPUs getting smuggled out?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Several confusions in your comment.

- The fact that laws against importing "illegal drug and weapons" are [partially] enforced has the effect of reducing the available volumes of these trafficked goods. It is reasonable to assume that these restrictions have some of the intended effect. The fact that there are cases of tax evasion does not mean that taxes should be abolished.

- GPUs are not "smuggled out". They are legally exported to most countries. If you had read the articles, what is now the object of the new regulations are chips that were deliberately designed to "" skirt under the [previous] Commerce Department's restrictions". So we are talking about direct sales from US producers to "sensitive countries" buyers.

But maybe you would like to advocate that restrictions are useless. So why don't we sell F35s to the PLA, while we're at it?

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Global Programming Goes Haywire - Prepare to be Bombarded with the Unexpected and Unrecognisable

After all the US can't stop the tonnes of illegal drug and weapons flowing across its border every year what makes them think they can stop high end GPUs getting smuggled out?.....mark l 2

There be no easy prizes for answering that simple question with anything suggesting hubris and arrogance born of ignorance and a self-delusional decline into the comfort of madness and loneliness accompanying an abiding deficit of inclusive beneficial greater good universal reasoning which at times of unpleasant crises are all too apparent for worlds to see? ........ https://www.youtube.com/live/I4zJQbFoQA8?si=faSjFt-Zuk5-F7Lm&t=790

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Global Programming Goes Haywire - Prepare to be Bombarded with the Unexpected and Unrecognisable

I'd guess that the answer to the 'high end GPUs" question is simply that "they're not made in one place / they're just vector processors who's design principles have been known for decades / etc". Same with neural networks. They're definitely not some kind of magic technology that only we know how to use and as we've noticed, it can be a somewhat flawed technology.)

As for Biden trying to do the fireside chat thing it just shows how out of touch he -- or rather the people driving/advising him -- are. I really wish he hadn't done that because at best he's just going to keep our mass delusion going for a while longer, at worst he's dragged the credibility of our government into the muck.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Global Programming Goes Haywire - Prepare to be Bombarded with the Unexpected and Unrecognisable

Can you share the source of that random word-stringing engine you're using in this forum?

Are you using wonderwords by any chance?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Can you share source and are you using “wonderwords"?

Yes, and no.

Whether though source/sources will be shared is quite another different matter and another question clearly enough answered to be not misunderstood.

It is long understood that Loose Lips Sink Ships especially so in certain areas of great interest and regions of vast concern, and thus gravely to be regarded and, at any and all cost, to be both avoided and prevented.

Obviously the future may present an altogether different picture resulting in an alternate decision/solution for reply to those selfsame questions.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Meanwhile ......

....until such an approaching time and fundamentally altered times, can there be much to like and admire and aspire to experience and experiment in life and Live Operational Virtual Environments with, and which may or may not have a vital virile and virulent viral essence of a New York Groove in ITs AIdDevelopment and Fearsomeless Ubiquitous Deployment Makeup for Marketing and Markup much more inclusive of and representative and reflective of Beijing Pings and SinoSoviet Stylised Bling.

I Kid U Not.

6. Tron Silver badge

Excellent news...

... for companies that print very small sticky labels and accept Alipay.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

I ran into an ITAR/EAR restriction a while back, getting hold of a server chip for a low power folding b0xen.

Turns out that the E3 I'd selected was on a US embargo list despite being over a decade old and long obsolete.

The exact reason was that it had an ECC controller which made it an "industrial" chip so had to source it from a UK seller.

Fun fact, that chip won't work on ECC unless the motherboard also has the appropriate controller.

It did however do some pretty extensive folding at 45W TDP before I finally sold it on, probably to some UK person who with

any luck used it for its intended purpose.

Some GPUs are already on "The List" notably even consumer grade decade old cards.

Interesting aside here, my research actually got some interest from a TLA in the US (!) who emailed back to ask exactly

what my intentions were regarding the quantum sensing device.

It works, but no idea what to use such a thing for and as such not clear if I can patent it due to the component parts being

long obsolete and impossible to obtain unless you have a pile of them from when Tek closed down.

AC because.. (insert tinfoil hat symbol)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like