back to article Developers build AI to read ancient scroll burnt in Mount Vesuvius eruption

Computer scientists trained AI models to decipher words from parts of an ancient scroll preserved in thick layers of volcanic mud, where they laid for thousands of years after Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD. The charred script known as the Herculaneum scrolls was reportedly excavated in the 1700s, and is too fragile to handle …

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

A dirty scroll for uncle Tiberius perhaps?

Or, or possibly it's Lurkio's shopping list...

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: A dirty scroll for uncle Tiberius perhaps?

A collection of odes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSt7M8FrYw

2. Phones Sheridan Silver badge
  3. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I watched the Uni of Kentucky livestream and it's astounding what they've achieved. The process will only accelerate.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that it, so far, seems to indicate that the villa owner was mostly into Epicurean philosophers. I would have loved to see missing parts of the Satyricon - or a copy of Claudius' works on the Etruscans. Oh well, it's still amazing.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Seems like there's a joke here about Epicureanism and being satisfied with what's actually available on the scroll, but I couldn't come up with a concise formulation. Where are all the philosopher-comedians today?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ohhh yeeees.

100% Agree on the lost history of Etruscans by Claudius (and his giant Etruscan of a wife one can assume)

4. Denarius Silver badge

Finally a Good Use for AI for once

Great news of the scroll reading attempts. Perhaps some of the lost woks will be recovered.

Other very recent good news of AI detecting supernovas noted

5. Denarius Silver badge

traffic lights more efficient ?

Odd. In Oz the timing goal seems to be to enhance inconvenience. Lights wont change until they can stop someone getting a clear run is normal performance. Sydney used to have a good system I am told. Run bespoke code on a VAX. (I know, showing my age) Then some genius said "Windows is the future" and the inevitable decay started. Naturally when the summer blackouts come the system will crash as the data center UPS might work, but the lights in streets wont.

1. Santa from Exeter

Re: traffic lights more efficient ?

Exactly the same here in Exeter. Instead of a 'Green Wave' on major routes we get the Red Jams. Prioroty given to side roads, even when there's no traffic whatsoever emerging from them.

When combined with a piss-poor implementation of the '15 minute City' idea I'm half convinced the County Council is trying to poison the residents!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like