back to article NASA reschedules Boeing's first crewed Starliner flight for mid-April 2024

NASA announced on Thursday that the first-ever crewed test flight of Boeing's much-delayed Starliner spacecraft will launch no earlier than mid-April, 2024. The mission – dubbed Crew Flight Test (CFT) – will see test pilots Butch Wilmore and Suni William travel to the International Space Station (ISS) and back to try out …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Normal

Both firms struggled with multiple setbacks that delayed their first crewed test flights for years.

If a project doesn't experience setbacks and delays, then is probably a project not worth doing.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Normal

Indeed. SpaceX was actually developing an entire launch stack, including engines though. Boeing is using mostly existing COTS components and only developing a capsule and service module. Their lack of progress and continuing problems is absolutely baffling even for a shit tier company like Boeing is nowadays.

2. KittenHuffer Silver badge
    Coat

Come on ....

.... it's not like it's brain surgery!

3. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

Intriguing....

>>engineers will have to cover up the remainder with another material in areas where it is too difficult to remove

I am finding it hard to imagine somewhere that the flammable tape is too difficult to remove yet possible to effectively cover up... but then I am not a brian scientist nor a rocket surgeon.

1. nematoad
      Happy

Re: Intriguing....

"but then I am not a brian scientist..."

Is that a scientist of the Blessed variety?

1. John Robson Silver badge

He's not blessed, he's a very naughty scientist.

2. Atomic Duetto

Brian Blessed would just sort it right out, Prince Vultan style (or by punching a polar bear, whichever was at hand)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Starliner's alive? [At 100dB, obviously]

2. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

GORDON'S ALIVE!!!

4. Spamfast
    FAIL

Cutting corners?

Such basic errors as using flammable tape and designing a parachute coupling that breaks under representative load fill me with confidence.

I appreciate that hindsight is always 20-20 but I do have to wonder what other bad choices are waiting to surface in Boing's (let's hope that at worst it goes 'boing') design. Has anyone checked the computer-assisted flight controls yet?

Something goes wrong at SpaceX they say "oh dear, but we can learn from that." The parachutes fail to open and Boeing says "It's fine. Nothing to see here. Move along."

I might get into a Crew Dragon. I certainly wouldn't get into a Starliner.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: Cutting corners?

"Such basic errors as using flammable tape"

Not sure I'd describe it as such, iirc, the particular tape involved has been used across the industry, without any problems previously being identified. They discovered, while testing the fire extinguishing system, that the glue could ignite if it came into direct contact with an uninsulated (e.g. damaged) electric wire.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

That's a concerning result for tape used to secure the wiring.

2. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Something goes wrong at SpaceX ...

That' why they are so good. They've adopted the build it, test it, fix it approach, like you do with software development. Lots of hardware means lots of real-world experience. Their first launch of Starship, widely reported as a failure, was far from it. It gave them lots of data about how such a monstrous vehicle performs in reality. That's how they learn. That's how they are so fast.

I take my hat off to them.

Oh sorry, we were talking about Boeing.

3. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

but Elon wont get into his own rockets what does tht tell you ?

5. Yorick Hunt Silver badge
    Boffin

Stick Boeing's CEO and CFO in the capsule for the maiden flight - that way you'll be sure that it'll stay in one piece (and if it doesn't, you'll know just how much those two have pissed off the engineering team).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Flame

I’d put them in it, and launch it now. That way Boeing have a chance of getting competent new leadership, a sanguine example of the dangers of "value engineering" and cam build the next capsule properly. If they launch on November 5th, we can all get free fireworks too…

1. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

The cult of the personality in USA strikes again.

The truth is nobody needs talking heads that make a presentation with powerpoint of makes a social media sound byte...

Sad that people cant see this, it woild appear the American media to brainwash the public about how valuable leadership is strikes again.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Was the crewselection by drawing straws?

7. GBE

Still pretending

It's nice that people are still pretending that "Boeing's first crewed Starliner flight" is a real thing that might actually happen. Otherwise there would be lots of unemployed Boingers. And I bet a lot of them have children.

"wont somebody think of the children..."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I get that a complex project like this will have delays, but to make basic mistakes such as using flammable tape or a parachute system that isn't up to the job implies a level of incompetency to me that is astonishing.

I imagine the astronauts assigned to fly boeing are feeling they got the shortest of short straws !!!

9. spold Silver badge

Very reliable

This Flatliner is a lovely runner, little old lady used to take it out on Sundays...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like