back to article Google's third-party cookie culling to begin in Q1 2024 ... for 1% of Chrome users

Google has decided to kick third-party cookies out of its Chrome browser for one percent of users in early 2024, and to banish the web trackers entirely from Q3 of the same year. Third-party cookies being the cookies that, when visiting one website, are created on your device and accessed by another website. The clever part is …

1. Flak
    Coffee/keyboard

This is not about providing privacy...

... but maintaining an effective monopoly!

Says it all: "Privacy Sandbox removes the ability of website owners, agencies and marketers to target and measure their campaigns using their own combination of technologies in favor of a Google-provided solution."

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: This is not about providing privacy...

It's always been that way. It means that it's basically going to be impossible to set up new tracking providers - everything will now sit in the big players' walled gardens and the competition can go to hell.

2. DS999 Silver badge

Re: This is not about providing privacy...

Privacy Sandbox removes the ability of website owners, agencies and marketers to target and measure their campaigns

So it IS about privacy after all - Google wants privacy for the results of ad campaigns so their customers don't have any way to tell if their ads are working - they just have to trust Google when they say "they are working great, you get even better results if you doubled your spending!"

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Mushroom

allowing ads and other services to be tailored to your interests.

Is there a place to put 'no adverts at all, and no tracking either, and while you're at it, restrict yourself to first party scripts, thank you very much'?

There needs to be a better way. I don't object to paying for content; I do object to paying ten or twenty bucks a month to each and every service that might have something that interests me.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: allowing ads and other services to be tailored to your interests.

There needs to be a better way. I don't object to paying for content; I do object to paying ten or twenty bucks a month to each and every service that might have something that interests me.

There should be plenty of better ways, it's just AlphaGoo doesn't care. It's the biggest brain on the planet, and it knows best. From the article-

One main component of the sandbox is an API called Topics: with this, websites can ask Chrome for a list of things the visitor is interested in

Crazy idea. Don't ask Chrome, ask the user. At the moment AlphaGoo is going through an anti-adblocker phase on YT, telling me it's against it's terms of service and would I kindly give it money for YT 'premium', or it'll smash my eyeballs. Or allow adverts. So basic extortion. It doesn't offer a survey or feedback form to state why I run adblockers, but then it probably already knows and doesn't care. People hate ads, especially when despite all AlphaGoo's attempts to profile us, it really doesn't seem to have a clue what our actual interests are. So for YT at least, there's a double whammy of irrelevant ads wrapped around irrelevant content that it's 'Recommendations' system pushes at me.

If I could actuall interface with Topics and chose my own, that may actually improve things. But I doubt that. Then it'd just be dealing with advertisers who do stuff like making their ads as loud and obnoxious as possible to 'grab our attention'.. Which is another good reason for adblockers. We now interrupt your ASMR video to SELL YOU A TWIX!. BUY IT NOW!.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Yes, I too have been splattered with the YT antiblocker. It was a shock to see what sort of adverts they show, presumably based on my viewing habits: as far as I can tell I am a cellar-dweller with a mobile phone and not in fact of pensionable age with a wide range of indoor and outdoor interests. So for the time being, YT is not on my agenda until the nice guys at Ubo sort it out.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

...until the nice guys at Ubo sort it out.

Bin Dun! Sort of. It's a bit like playing whack-a-mole at the moment as AlphaGoo tests the patience of it's users. But see-

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/173jmog/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_09_2023/

Or Brave browser might be worth a look.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

I turned off third party cookies on Chrome over a year ago. But saying that I use Firefox as my main browser and Chrome is just a backup for those badly written websites that refuse to work properly in FF.

4. Tim 11

safari?

Since safari has blocked third party cookies for several years now (albeit with an "advanced settings" opt out), I imagine most people who need this functionality have figured a way round it by now.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

One step ahead

I've blocked 3rd party cookies since browsers offered that option ~20 years ago. Now it's deleting all Chromium fork browsers that migh eventually have Topics and Privacy Sandbox permanently on.

6. IGotOut Silver badge

Ahhh Chrome.

Probably the only Chromium browser that doesn't block by default.

Wonder why?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like