back to article Astronomers spot collision between two exoplanets, both feared vaporized

Evidence of a collision between planets outside our solar system was published for the first time today. Data on infrared radiation and the dimming of the host star's light led researchers to conclude they may have witnessed planets between the size of Earth and Neptune smashing into each other while circling the distant …

1. UCAP Silver badge

<deity> scratches head: "I'm sure I put a couple of planets down somewhere around here ..."

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

<deities brother> Did you look behind the fridge, it's always behind the fridge.

2. rg287

<older brother deity to little sister deity> "Don't put your marbles on my model space-time! Oh now it's rolled into that solar system and broken one of the planets. That was the best one as well - I got a prize at the science fair for the fjords. Muuum! She's breaking my planets! Muuuuuuuuuum!"

2. DJV Silver badge

Did they exchange insurance information at the time of the crash?

1. TheTut
      Meh

Hold on there chief!

Actually it is customary to exchange insurance information after the crash...

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Unfortunately they were only insured for third party, fire and brimstone

3. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Pint

Planetary collisions

" it seems plausible that collisions between mature planets are much more common than was previously thought"

I though that one current theory of how the Earth-Moon system formed was that a 'Mars-sized' body collided with the proto-Earth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant-impact_hypothesis .

There are other ideas though https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/how-did-the-moon-form.html

Maybe now we are getting instruments, such as the JWST that are sensitive enough to detect these collisions like Neowise.

Pint for the boffins to celebrate the discovery.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Stop

Yeah but wait a minute

This is the first publication of a detected collision.

Okay, one is infinitely more than nothing, but it's still just one.

Let's not go assuming that the entire Universe is playing planetary pinball just yet.

4. redpawn

feared vaporized

As if any occupants of the planets moons would know the difference.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Re: feared vaporized

Maybe, maybe not.

1. Dizzy Dwarf

Obviously faked. I mean: just look at that shadow.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Mushroom

Marvin the Martian?

I wanted an earth-shattering kaboom!

6. alain williams Silver badge

Nah ... it just had an encounter

with one of these

1. Ghostman

Re: Nah ... it just had an encounter

An Illudium Q-36 Explosive space Modulator?

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Old news

You earthlings are only finding out now?

1. Lurko

Re: Old news

Since the event happened circa 1,800 light years away, I'd say a couple of years lag between data and conclusions is a modest overhead.

8. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Stop

Use your indicators before you change orbits.

I initially misread that as the dude was leading a search team. Give it up, they'll all be dead by the time you arrive.

Anyway, there's so much empty space in a solar system and still these things manage to collide?

9. Kerfufflinator

10^33 joules? What kind of unit is that? I would like to know how many tonnes of oats I need to ingest to obtain the same calorific value. You know, to put things in perspective.

P.S. Somebody here told me it's useful if you want to monitor horsepower years.

1. UCAP Silver badge

10^33 joules? What kind of unit is that?

A lot. To put it in perspective, its a bit over 2x10^17 megatonnes, or about 4x10^15 times the size of the Tsar Bomba.

2. Spherical Cow Silver badge
      Pint

"10^33 joules? What kind of unit is that? I would like to know how many tonnes of oats I need to ingest to obtain the same calorific value. You know, to put things in perspective."

The force of the explosion was equivalent to at least seven vindaloos.

10. Dronius

Somehow Gag Halfrunt & Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz have got to be involved in this.

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Intergalactic Bar Billiards

We apologise for the malfunction the the Intergalactic Bar Billiards, we hope to have the ball smashing issue fixed real soon

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Intergalactic Bar Billiards

Remember that at one point, between billiard balls being made out of ivory and modern plastic ones, the balls were made out of nitrocellulose, aka guncotton. If the player put enough force into a shot the collision could do a lot more damage than simply smashing the balls.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like