back to article Two Project Kuiper prototype satellites finally reach orbit

The first two satellites for Amazon's Project Kuiper constellation have finally left Earth, riding a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V to orbit. The launch from the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station Launch Complex 41 took place on October 6 at 14:06 EDT. The prototype satellites were dropped off into orbit less than 20 …

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Launch, test, destroy

Amazon plans to actively de-orbit both satellites when this test mission is complete. I hope all their future sats will also be deorbitable (is that a word?).

1. Marty McFly Silver badge
      Go

Re: Launch, test, destroy

Some interesting launch statistics on satellite constellations: https://planet4589.org/index.html

Looking at the data, it does appear Starlink is being a good steward and deorbiting dead birds. https://planet4589.org/space/con/star/stats.html

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Launch, test, destroy

"I hope all their future sats will also be deorbitable"

That is a license requirement these days. De-orbit or move to a "graveyard" orbit if it's a high flyer. This applies to most sat launches, Russia and China possibly excepted since they tend to ignore "inconvenient" rules. Certainly anyone requiring FCC licenses due to launching from the USA or having a presence in the USA and I'd be surprised if most other launches didn't abide by the same rules or be required to by the host country they launch from.

2. s. pam Silver badge
    Flame

Can we get Musky's space junk deoribited too?

I'm sick and tired of Starlink obscuring my telescope hours with spacetrails in my viewing and want their junk deorbited too!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can we get Musky's space junk deoribited too?

So how are you getting Internet? Are you out in the middle of nowhere using Starlink, or do you live near a metro area with wired Internet? Assuming you are not using Starlink you are near a metro area and already have plenty of light pollution impacting your star gazing.

That is the double edged sword for serious astronomers. To get far enough away from cities and other light sources, they have to go places where Starlink is the only option.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Can we get Musky's space junk deoribited too?

Astronomers on their remote mountain eyries have managed for many years without Starlink :-)

A truck goes out with blank data tapes every few months, collects the full ones and checks they haven't eaten each other yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like