back to article Beethoven and Brahms move audience members to synchronization symphony

Researchers in Germany have found that classical music audience members synchronize their heart rate and breathing during the performance. Electrical conductivity of skin, which can suggest a the level of excitement, was also among the biological signs the scientists found were coordinated during the string quintet's rendition …

1. sitta_europea Silver badge

Make your mind up...

"The study found synchronization between audience members for movement, heart rate, breathing, and the electrical conductivity of skin, although the greatest level was seen in the breathing rate."

"In a paper published in Nature Scientific Reports this week, Tschacher said: "Clear evidence was found of physiological synchrony (heart rate, respiration rate ...)

... whereas breathing behavior was not synchronized."

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Make your mind up...

Having not read the paper, I wonder if "respiration rate" and "breathing behavior" refer to different things. For example, the speed of breathing was synchronized, but how deep the breaths were was not, which would make some sense if people were breathing at the same rate even though their lung capacity varied. I don't know that for sure, but that would be my assumption until I read the details.

2. Rikki Tikki

"20th century Australian composer Brett Dean"

Brett Dean is still alive, so not just a 20th century composer.

1. abend0c4 Silver badge

The piece they used was from 2010, indeed.

2. Baximelter

Brett Dean was born in 1961. He is a 20th century composer <u>and</u> a 21st century composer.

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

Other sharing

Brahms and Liszt seem to cause a shared abandonment of coherent perception.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Other sharing

Needs an icon

4. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

A silly use of the word "synchronize". We react to music in a similar way, and that is all there is to it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have seen similar at football matches

Definitely body movement, especially the head, and even vocal synchrony … though this is usually referred to as ‘singing’ or ‘chanting’ …..

6. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Dancing

It is surely unsurprising that music stimulates synchronised behaviour, as lots of people dance to music, which means synchronisation of body movements, often breathing and, in some cases, trying not to tread on your partner's toes.

7. T. F. M. Reader
    Coat

Skin conductance?

So play Brahms and/or Beethoven to fool lie detectors?

8. DJO Silver badge

Carefully now

Future headline:

Tragedy strikes on heart to music synchronisation experiment when all 184 experimental subjects died of heart failure when John Cage's 4:33 was played.

9. Evil Scot Bronze badge
    Joke

Press F to show your respects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqbk9cDX0l0

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like