back to article NASA taking its time unboxing asteroid sample because it grabbed too much stuff

NASA is running late in its efforts to share 4.5-billion-year-old dust samples with researchers, blaming the delay on its OSIRIS-REx spacecraft returning more material than expected.  Launched in 2016, the probe was the space agency's first-ever mission to fetch ancient rocks from an asteroid. OSIRIS-REx came equipped with a …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Headmaster

“made it possible for you to read this very story”

True, but I’m betting my first grade teacher Mrs Walton might disagree.

2. Dr Who

Too much material my ar*e. In a moment of almost infinite improbability, the cannister turned out to contain an alien time capsule revealing the secrets of an engine enabling instantaneous space travel over any distance. They're just trying to think of a name for it.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Quagaar?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Dirty deed, done in deep space"

One of your best.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: "Dirty deed, done in deep space"

They are on the highway to hell for that one!

2. SonofRojBlake

Re: "Dirty deed, done in deep space"

It's good... but go here: https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/18/opinion_column/

They deliver TEN paragraphs of story about BMW charging for use of fitted seat warmers and worrying that if drivers let that happen they may start doing the same for air conditioning, then deliver this sentence: "It's more than the 20 bucks a month that jars. As everyone with an ounce of forethought readily realizes:..."

I don't want to spoil the punchline - just go and read it, and if it doesn't make you want to stand up and respectfully applaud, we can't be friends.

4. RockBurner

Flashbacks...

I hope they've all watched "The Andromeda Strain", and none of them have epilepsy...

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Why waste all that money?

If scientists are so desperate to get access to billion year-old dust - all they needed to do was ask. It would have saved all that time, money and bother. I've got several cupboards in this office - that are absolutely full of billion year-old dust - they can come over and knock themselves out. Might be a problem if they're scared of spiders...

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge

Re: Why waste all that money?

You beat me to it.

Although I only have myself to blame as no-one else is allowed in my office with the soundproof door.

6. Roger Kynaston

Hactar?

I hope the dust isn't part of the shattered remains of a super computer that designed a hperspatial bomb that will destroy the universe in toto!

Kudos to the scientists though for a seriously cool project.

7. MrAptronym

Really excited about this return, when I was still an academic I had friends that studied meteorite falls, and they would have killed for pristine material like this.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I hope they're not in the "bringing organic materials to seed life" group. If they are William of Occam might recommend that they read up on Miller and Urey and that they have a closer shave.

8. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

They are doing it right.

Haste at the wrong moment can ruin so much. See those many Who Me and On Call stories. And see how many Astronauts have died due to too much haste.

1. Blofeld's Cat

Re: They are doing it right.

"... Who Me and On Call ..."

Unfortunately in their excitement, nobody had mentioned the capsule to the cleaners, and during the night ...

9. Potemkine! Silver badge

This is a proof that observing a celestial body is not enough, we have to touch it to really realize how it is made and how consistent it is.

10. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C
    Trollface

Unboxing video

If they're making a video that's anything like most youtube offerings then they won't have got past the "thanks for tuning in, this is who I am, please subscribe to my channel, yada yada yada"

11. Sleep deprived
    Happy

Time to call Bruce Willis

With lots of brains, but not enough muscle, those scientists have a hard time unscrewing the lid given all the dirt in the threads, let alone those cumbersome gloves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like