back to article Red Planet roommates have been stuck on 'Mars' together for 100 days

NASA has celebrated its 65th birthday by marking 100 days of its first attempt to simulate a yearlong mission Mars mission. The four-person crew entered the CHAPEA (Crew Health and Performance Exploration Analog) habitat at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston on June 25 to begin a 378-day Mars surface simulation. October 3 …

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Unfortunate mental image

Other activities performed include trips into a sandbox

I immediately thought of pets kept indoors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unfortunate mental image

Such as yourself?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People downvoting clearly aren’t get the username reference, surely? Why else?

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge
        Happy

Such as yourself?

Nah, I'm free range.

2. Snowy Silver badge
      Joke

Falling down into a sand box?

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Thumb Up

HI SEAS

I'm glad to see the reference included to the Hawaii experiment. For some light drama, there is also a podcast about it called The Habitat, which makes for entertaining listening.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor buggers

Must be like being stuck in a loop of the TV "reality" show Big Brother.

"Day 92: Dwayne is in the lounge area. His daily schedule is picking his nose, breakfast, cleaning the shared latrines, and filling out an exercise diary. Last nights attempt to get intimate with Shania was unsuccessful and has ruffled feathers amongst the basemates - just like the previous 91 nights....."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NASA

Beat Elon to Mars and set up a missile launcher to keep him away for good.

Thanks in advance.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: NASA

X marks the target.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: NASA

Beat Elon to Mars and set up a missile launcher to keep him away for good.

WTF would we want to stop Musk going to Mars? It's coming back that would be the problem.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like a wet holiday in Bognor Regis

Only better food.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Like a wet holiday in Bognor Regis

“Day 47: Briefing from Ted on relative cow size. I still don’t fully understand it. I put the kettle on again.”

6. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I hope they are all attractive, to each other. What else would one do in a situation like that?

I predict a lot of action on Mars.

1. Kaltern

I wonder what effect Mars' gravity would have on conception and birth... Would the child forever be stuck on Mars? Would it's body change to adapt to Mars gravity? Could it handle Earth gravity?

7. G R Goslin

It doesn' look.....

...look ike the sort of structure that would hold the near vacuum that is the atmosphere of Mars, at around 0.1psi. Or even the 4psi 100% oxygen atmosphere that the human body would require as an absolute minimum. Of course, they could get a reasonable simulation at Earth normal pressure, by allowing the test subjects to take one breath every fifteen minutes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like