back to article Supermicro CEO predicts 20 percent of datacenters will adopt liquid cooling

Supermicro's founder, president and CEO Charles Liang has suggested a fifth of datacenters – maybe more – will need to adopt liquid cooling in coming years. Liang shared that opinion in an open letter posted on Thursday, US time, that celebrates Supermicro's 30th birthday on November 1, 2023. "Thirty years ago, Supermicro …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"I decided that [we] should design high efficiency [PSUs,] systems and datacenters"

And that is what happens when you are CEO of a multi-billion dollar company that you founded.

There is no Board telling him what to do. There are no "activist investors" clamoring for layoffs to line their pockets.

He is in control, he decides and the company executes. And the decisions he makes are carefully considered to grow his company, not his investor's portfolio.

An example to follow, apparently.

1. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Re: "I decided that [we] should design high efficiency [PSUs,] systems and datacenters"

So you believe in a democracy where only FOUNDERS, and CEOs have a voice ?

Not that far from the old times when only KINGs and LORDs had a voice...

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: "I decided that [we] should design high efficiency [PSUs,] systems and datacenters"

As opposed to one where people literally get to buy their votes? Because that’s how most big companies work.

2. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

I really dont undertand why so many down vote me in support of thereg and the media in giving voices to only ceos making announcement. I dont understand why so many reg readers think this sort of journalism is correct.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I really don't understand how ownership of an entity and its leadership work. <- Here, fixed that for you.

On a more serious note, it's simple: if you own a stake in a company, you get something to say. Don't mix that up with political systems, being it feudalism or whatever.

> On a more serious note, it's simple: if you own a stake in a company, you get something to say

You fail to see the problem that the media only gives time to company owners.

> Don't mix that up with political systems, being it feudalism or whatever.

You better tell that to the Republican party, because they understand the importance of controlling the media with their agenda.

Just look at you, you cant appreciate how important a balanced free media is.

Dont forget to say thank you the next time the orange one is voted in because the idiots who voted for him, listened to company owners telling bullshit stories that they need to lower workers rights and wages because they are poor.

2. Lurko

"There is no Board telling him what to do. There are no "activist investors" clamoring for layoffs to line their pockets. He is in control, he decides and the company executes. And the decisions he makes are carefully considered to grow his company, not his investor's portfolio."

Well, he's taken investors money because it is a listed company, perhaps they SHOULD have a say? If I invest in a company, or a financial institution does it on my behalf, I want to know that a business has proper governance. That means I will miss out on mercurial genius and risky growth, but HOPEFULLY* it'll be a professionally run operation with a modicum of internal challenge. If it's essentially a one man band, that's a big gamble.

* Big listed collapses noted.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

So only invest in companies that are already managed the way you want them to be.

Most investors are investing in the 'existing' structure because it's working, the maxim being followed is 'if it isn't broke...'

2. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Its getting to a state that only CEOs are allowed to make statements to the media.

1. veti Silver badge

That's pretty much always been the case. Sometimes they may delegate the job to a highly paid PR drone whom they trust to say exactly the right thing, but usually when you see a "statement" like this, it's attributed the boss.

Ordinary employees? Never been allowed to talk to media, at least not in their capacity as employees. I think my very first employment contract actually had a specific clause to that effect.

How is this different to the censorship of dictators ?

In both cases only the high and mighty are allowed to speak ?

1. veti Silver badge

You're speaking right now, I don't see anyone censoring you. Or me, for that matter.

But I also don't see how our views are likely to change any part of the world, beyond maybe our own households and immediate associates, and therefore they're not of much interest to most people out there.

If you don't like the way the media works, then by all means start a news service of your own. Good luck with that. I mean that sincerely, if you can make a go in that business you might just do some good. And when you've done that for a few months, maybe you'll understand a little more about how the world works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like