back to article Call me an Apple fan, says Huawei founder and chief exec

An Apple fanboi has emerged in the most unlikely of places – Ren Zhengfei, founder and CEO at Huawei, the China HQ'd giant whose latest flagship handset is going head to head at home with its US rival. The 78-year-old exec and former engineer in the Chinese army, told university students and academics attending the Huawei- …

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

>>>politicians struggled got understand how, despite years of sanctions, Huawei was able to overcome<<<

My guess, A little bit of the 'Hold my beer' mentality that underpins many successful engineering companies.

and a helpful government...

1. MiguelC Silver badge

I, for one, am not surprised

politicians struggle to understand how shoelaces can be tied....

1. aerogems Silver badge

Re: I, for one, am not surprised

I don't think it's so much they don't understand the shoe tying, it's that they're intentionally playing dumb because they think it works in their favor somehow. One thing you can say about fascist dictatorships, when someone doesn't have to worry about the next election it does free them from all pretenses.

2. spold Silver badge

Always a fan....

When I worked for IBM and went to Huawei central in Shenzhen for a project, there was a particular engineering building on the campus... when a new iThingy came out they would pull it apart - they were not so much interested in the functionality as in the springs and cogs - who had made the parts, how they were put together, how much had the assembly cost... basically looking for lessons that could be learned.

I spoke to one of the VPs in the consumer business he said "we don't want to copy the Apple product, we want to make one that is better at lower cost".

Interesting stuff. BTW there were 25 IBM consultants working with them at the time - everything from product development processes to the finance office - the US does not like to admit how much of a hand it has had in creating the company.

(p.s. and please no gratuitous downvotes for discussing Huawei or China).

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Always a fan....

(p.s. and please no gratuitous downvotes for discussing Huawei or China).

Huawei to criticize

3. aerogems Silver badge

Lessons are fine

But the more or less shameless copying they've done of Apple's iPhone and iOS is a whole other story. You want to buy a device and disassemble it to see if you can improve your own manufacturing process, that's fine. Making your device look and act exactly the same, or at least as close as you can reasonably get Android to mimic iOS, that's something else entirely.

1. spold Silver badge

Re: Lessons are fine

That's done with a "skin" software layer on top of the hardware and Android called EMUI (previously Emotion UI). The differences between UIs are becoming less and less anyway, yes it makes it easier for your customers to decant to another supplier, but also easier for them to decant to yours - the limitations only being the App set you use being supported. However if you have opted into the whole iHead world you are not likely to step outside the box anyway.

2. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Lessons are fine

Examining competing products is a routine part of product engineering.

As for UI look and feel that evolved. Most people aren't aware that the iPhone wasn't the first smarthphone, just the first one that achieved mass market acceptance. Apple had a good base to work from with its iTunes ecosystem and existing iPod look and feel, Alternatives -- and earlier attempts at building these devices -- were hampered by them being rooted in the entire PDA / Windows ecosystem.

(So the thing that needed copying wasn't the UI but the application store -- there wasn't a viable alternative to Apple until Google's Play Store was created.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like