back to article Fedora and Asahi Linux pals revamp installation process

The forthcoming Asahi/Fedora distro for Arm64 Macs will use the Calamares installer – but the mainstream Fedora 39 might get a new, simpler installation program too. According to a Mastodon post from one of the project leads, Hector Martin, the Asahi project's upcoming Fedora-based release for Apple Silicon Macs will use the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry -- GUI not preferred -- four terminal commands and we're done here at Linux Mansions

No.....I really don't want to know about some other option for a "bare metal" install. Lots of Fedora 38/XFCE/ext4 machines here.

Here at Linux Mansions, we've been using the ONLINE UPGRADE process since F24:

(1) $ sudo dnf upgrade --refresh

(2) $ sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade

(3) $ sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=39

(4) $ sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

Note: No physical media, no ISO downloads, no thumb drives.......

Note: No GUI

Note: 100% IN PLACE REFRESH

Note: Maximum of 45 minutes to upgrade with everything in the same place as it was 45 minutes ago!!!

....what's not to like?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Sorry -- GUI not preferred -- four terminal commands and we're done here at Linux Mansions

Upgrade != install

2. Proton_badger

I really want to buy a used/refurb Macbook Air M1 now, the Asahi folks have come far. I've enjoyed watching Asahi Lina write the GPU driver in Rust, which turned out to be a complete triumph for Rust drivers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You mean Hector "Marcan". Lina is just his vtuber alt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like