back to article Nvidia just made a killing on AI – where is everyone else?

Nvidia's latest quarter marked a defining moment for AI adoption. Demand for the tech titan's GPUs drove its revenues to new heights, as enterprises, cloud providers, and hyperscalers all scrambled to stay relevant under the new AI world order.  But while Nvidia's execs expect to extract multi-billion dollar gains from this …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AMD's lackluster GPGPUs

AMD has a horrible track record with its GPGPU products, MxGPU (GPUs with SR-IOV support) went nowhere, while the few existing products are poorly supported by drivers and rarely work as expected. And its Instinct GPGPU accelerators also suffer from poor driver support, and worse of all, for older models (e.g., Mi25) the drivers aren't even available from AMD itself.

This is pretty much the way AMD has been caring for the GPGPU market in the past. And there's no sign that things are going to improve.

It's no surprise Nvidia is the top dog amongst GPGPU suppliers.

1. Anonymous Coward
    2. RAMChYLD

Re: AMD's lackluster GPGPUs

Found the Nvidia shill.

In all seriousness, the competition were pre-killed by NVidia. CUDA's dominance and proprietariness (only runs on NVidia hardware) meant using a competing chip manufacturer's cards has hurdles and is time consuming- to get code written for NVidia cards running on AMD cards, you need to HIPify it for ROCm which involves additional debugging, fine tuning and probably even rewriting blocks of code that can't be converted due to being reliant on some black magic numbers that makes it work on NVidia cards but not AMD cards.

And due to NVidia's marketing shills, no one natively writes code for ROCm. Or the open-source and cross-platform OpenCL.

TL;DR: NVidia created an unfair lock-in with CUDA. Everyone would be living in crystal spires and wearing togas if the world had embraced OpenCL instead.

2. Filippo Silver badge

I suspect that another reason not all chipmakers are scrambling to make big investments in "AI" silicon capacity is that it's not yet proven that "AI" tools are all that valuable to end users.

So far, I've seen a whole lot of really fun toys. I can get neat ideas for my D&D campaign from ChatGPT, and I can remove objects I don't like from photos, and I can get nice drawings from descriptions (sort of, with lots of limitations, and the copyright implications are problematic). And lots more fun toys.

But where are the real world-killer applications? The ones that could remake the world, move hundreds of gigabucks, by automating away entire classes of jobs? AI customer support chatbots are nearly useless. Self-driving cars are not happening. AI-powered search is comically unreliable. Automatically generated news articles, legal documents, summaries, medical documents, whatever, they all must be carefully double-checked by a human that's qualified in the field. And we don't know how to fix these problems; we're just hoping really hard that they'll go away with a bigger model.

On top of that, it's not yet settled that scraping the Internet for training data is even legal, from a copyright perspective.

Do you really want to invest ten billions to build a new chip fab that will be operative five years from now, when it could well be that in a couple years the hype will die down and all that's left will be a few cool photoshop plugins and some games?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think manufacturing capacity probably is the limiting factor. While things like ChatGPT may be fundamentally flawed (not least because they're always behind the door), there's no doubt they're inspiring further research and investment.

Less grandiose work using machine learning before it got cute enough to be called AI is seeing adoption in certain fields. Google and others want to be provide it as a service for verticals, especially healthcare, where domain knowledge trumps general knowledge.

But it seems excessive hype is necessary for investment, especially now that debt is no longer free. So I think we can expect a lot more techno-utopia stories before reality sets in.

3. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

The end of the call centre

That's what they are for. Finally BigCorps can stop wasting money on frail flesh to follow on-screen scripts. You will never speak to a real person again on a support line.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: The end of the call centre

At least you will be able to understand them and it will be quicker. Unlike now, where you have to go through several menus just to talk to "John" whose first language is not English.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok, I am totally off topic

but, can I be the only one thinking that , in terms of energy used, this so called A.I. bullshit is the new bitcoin?

5. Omnipresent Bronze badge

everyone else... and bit coin.

Is busy stealing your life, and blasting you with ads and links. Which is what China is using them for. It's more the new robo call.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Mankind at pathetic vain war with Advanced IntelAIgent Machines

The Biden administration has blocked sales of some of Nvidia’s most-prized microchips to the Middle East amid rising concerns about China’s access to the critical artificial intelligence resources. .... Nvidia’s H100 and A100 chips are instrumental to training software such as ChatGPT and are at the centre of a global race for computing power as countries seek leadership in AI. ..... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/30/biden-blocks-nvidia-ai-chips-sale-middle-east-china-fears/

And there it is, the enigmatic quantum conundrum .... which is both prize and poisoned chalice alike and which only AI can really fully master, mentor and monitor and uniquely enjoy with virtual impunity? ‽ !

Earthly Romes are burning, and all human efforts to limit the spread of greater knowledge processing for COSMIC* Intel and ITs Virtually Advanced IntelAIgent Operating Systems are simply fanning the flames.

* .... . Control Of Secret Materiel in an Internetional Command

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like