back to article Cost of gallium goes up after Chinese export restrictions land

The price of gallium is said to have hit a 10-month high following export restrictions from China, which kicked in at the beginning of August in response to Western sanctions on sales of advanced technology to the country. Beijing announced back in early July that it was imposing export controls on gallium and germanium, plus …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Trade War!

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing!

Say it again.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Trade War!

It's reducing single points of failure, so it's not all that bad. The early days of COVID uncovered some really bad ones.

One can hope that countries do a better job of leaving each other alone when resources are better distributed. The downside is that international competition is needed keep manufacturers from getting too lazy.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Retaliation

Of course it is retaliation.

In the very arena you would expect responsible, level-headed people to operate, it's all being handled by a bunch of kindergardeners who only know how to throw the toys out of the pram.

And after that, we are the ones who have to pay, get blamed and tighten our belts.

Politics should not be left to the charming idiots who can win elections only to fuck everything up after. It's a job. There should be a proper entrance exam, ongoing evaluations and, if the candidate is not doing the job properly, a swift exit, regardless of whether or not the mandate has run its course.

We can no longer afford to wait for the next election before getting rid of the crazy nincompoop that is ruining everything for everyone else.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Retaliation

We can no longer afford to wait for the next election before getting rid of the crazy nincompoop that is ruining everything for everyone else.

And in many countries of note, they don't even get that opportunity to vote.

2. Zolko Silver badge

Politics [...] It's a job

I disagree: it should NOT be a job, it should be a public occupation beside a real job. The proof that it's not a real job with real knowledge can be seen through all the various posts that politicians fill during their career : from minister of defense to agriculture, through economy and digitalisation ... nobody does have all these competences together.

To the contrary: politics should be a public and part-time occupation of many people, not a money-making coruption-suspected "job" of inexpugnable poseurs who explain for years why their cunning plans are actually failing but it's not their fault.

3. Crypto Monad Silver badge

In the very arena you would expect responsible, level-headed people to operate, it's all being handled by a bunch of kindergardeners who only know how to throw the toys out of the pram.

True: but better a trade war than a real war.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

I have some Gallium, a clear tube of it. I keep it on my desk as a curio because it turns to liquid on warm days. What a waste!

1. Spoobistle

waste

I'm sure it's a mere drop in the ocean, compared to the amount lost in lost cycle lights, forgotten garden decorations and other sundry LED equipped broken trash cluttering up the environment!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like