back to article Digital Realty: We hear you like your racks dense, how does 70kW sound?

Digital Realty has announced support for high-density deployments of up to 70 kilowatts per rack in a bid to capitalize on growing demand for AI and  high-performance computing (HPC) workloads. While high-density deployments are not new among colo providers, they're far from the norm. A typical datacenter rack might support …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

250kW per rack

And the average UK home allegedly uses 10,000kWh per year for heating, so just over 1kWh per hour. So that's maybe a hundred houses heated per rack, with lots of space left over for peak loads; sounds like a match made in heaven.

Didn't I readsomewhere that people were being offered servers in their houses to use the waste heat?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. DS999 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: 250kW per rack

Didn't I readsomewhere that people were being offered servers in their houses to use the waste heat?

I'd sign up for that so long as they only expect their servers to operate about four months of the year!

3. the hatter

Can't say I've heard a credible offering to host servers at home, sounds like a logistics nightmare not worth the potential cost savings. But there are several, I'd go as far as saying many, projects where waste DC heat is channeled into local civil use, either directly supplying warm water to consumers (simple heat exchange to make it a reliable 50-70degC output from the DC) for heating or general use, or output to generator turbines, where the water starts much hotter than mains supply, so needs less external energy (fossil, biomass, etc) to convert to steam.

4. John Robson Silver badge

Yes - but it's hot water, not heating.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The warmth of AI

Silicon Valley is having an unusually cool summer while the rest of the world bakes. AI datacenters are here to fix that.

3. MTimC

Cooling systems will also need an upgrade at this power input level

At this power input rate, you need a backup cooling system as, even if the power is cut instantaneously when the first cooling circuit fails, components in the rack will melt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like