back to article Think tank calls for monitoring of Chinese AI-enabled products

Chinese made AI-enabled products should spark similar concerns to Middle Kingdom sourced 5G equipment and therefore be regulated, said think tank Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) on Thursday. Government bodies across the west have rated Chinese made 5G equipment in national systems as a security risk since at least …

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

> Chinese made AI-enabled products should spark similar concerns to Middle Kingdom sourced 5G equipment

Like rampant paranoia.

> AI-enabled products present perhaps an even greater risk than 5G which is also more difficult to mitigate ... AI is embarking on a point where it will touch all aspects of human life in a manner that humans will grow accustomed to ... lurking in the background while potentially shaping the way societies think by influencing behavior online, enacted in ways that gatekeep jobs and credit, and also implemented in systems like traffic grids, maritime operations or rail systems - it will be impossible to control.

All of the concerns apply equally to the stuff already coming out of OpenAI et al!

> AI-enabled products and services from authoritarian countries are likely to be overlooked

What? Why?

Oh, because they'll get past the regulations - the same way that crap Chinese kettle leads get past the regulations (and inevitably catch fire)? You mean because the Western buyers demanded cheap, got shoddy and sold that on to us? Whilst those who took care got perfectly serviceable wares from China.

On the other hand, if the only way to get regulators off their arses and willing to pay to have people figure out some *real* controls over *all* of the ways these beasts are deployed, then maybe paranoia is the only way to go.

There can't be any downsides to this approach, can there.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

I wouldn't say

its paranoia. Just look at the way Xi is currently behaving you and can see he's up for starting a war. All within tolerated him, thinking he was a moderate. Then he got into power and it turns out he's just as bad and maybe even worse, than Mao Zedong. I feel sorry for the Chinese people that are being fucked by an arsehole that looks like Winnie The Pooh so then banned anyone from mentioning Winnie the Pooh.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: I wouldn't say

Does he eat babies too?

2. Snowy Silver badge
        Coat

They do not need to start a war Russia is doing quite well messing with the "west"

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

China only wants to start wars over it's "sovereign territory"...which means when this shit in Ukraine ends, Russia better watch it's ass...because China might decide on a special operation in the area of Russia that was originally Chinese...you know, that large tract of land from Vladivostok to Khabarovsk...it's already weakened over that way with Putin moving troops and defenses away from the area...

The only reason I can think of that China hasn't already tried to take it back off Russia is they thought Russia was a lot more powerful than it now appears to be...if China wanted that area back, it could take it now and rename Vladivostok back to Hai Shen Wai.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great Firewall of the West

There are western politicians hell bent on covertly turning the internet into a walled garden that allows their citizens to see and do only what they want them to.

All the while, decrying the Great Firewall of China as some sort of evil control by dictatorial rulers.

Yet the west becomes more of an open prison with each passing day.

Re: Great Firewall of the West

There are good guys

There are bad guys

And then there are the idiots who believe any of this crap to be true

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monitor Chinese made AI-enabled products tomorrow

Swiftly becomes monitor everything and everyone else the day after.

The spirit of Cardinal Richelieu is alive and well: If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

4. Dr Fidget

Who are ASPI?

"ASPI is an independent, non-partisan think tank that produces expert and timely advice for Australia’s strategic and defence leaders." - at least that's what they say about themselves.

Based in Canberra and Washington DC - Hmm.

Re: Who are ASPI?

Think tank == Pressure group

2. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: Who are ASPI?

ASPI - Snort! Snigger!

5. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Scheme-tank

TFTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you mean "wank bank"...because they come up with ideas that arouse authoritarians.

6. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Scheme-tank should go get a job and be useful

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like