back to article Fancy tinkering with the atmosphere? The Derecho supercomputer can advise

In hopes of mitigating the effects of climate change, scientists working in collaboration with the United States National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) are using supercomputers to explore the risks and benefits of seeding the atmosphere with aerosols that would block sunlight and lower global temperatures. The idea is …

1. jmch Silver badge
    Boffin

The map is not the territory...

...and the model is just a model, not reality, so by necessity leaves bits out. Of course scientists can have an idea of which are the more important parts to model, and the model might give new insights BUT if we try this aerosol-seeding malarkey, it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be unforeseen outcomes and unintended consequences.

Proceed with extreme caution!!

2. Sir Sham Cad

I've seen this before

Morpheus: "We do know that it was us that scorched the sky"

Also the plot of Highlander II, I recall. 2024 was the date that was set so we're almost there.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: I've seen this before

>>Also the plot of Highlander II,

It was indeed. Have a pint for remembering that excerable film...

2. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Re: I've seen this before

Superman 3 comes to mind immediately.

3. robert lindsay
    Mushroom

in case anyone is curiius why DoE has so much better supers than NOAA, its because DoE runs abomb simulations, and has cycles to spare, since the people who sign their checks tend to add a couple of zeros just in case. Also supers need lots of power and elec, and Doe happens to run nuke plants ideally suited for the power and water needs.

4. I miss PL/1

Don't forget

Snow Piercer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like