back to article Cisco buys SamKnows to give ThousandEyes a look at millions of endpoints

On the heels of Cisco’s Accedian acquisition last week, the network giant has snapped up SamKnows to extend its ThousandEyes network performance monitoring (NPM) stack to remote and hybrid workers. UK-based SamKnows is an internet performance monitoring platform that runs on home routers and mobile devices. Its telemetry …

1. Kapsalon

″'I am glad that you are here with me,' said Fr.. Cisco

Cisco has build up quite a big Fellowship.

More seriously: Cisco is spending big bucks in this area. They are trying to copy RIPE Atlas (https://atlas.ripe.net/).

As everything moves to the cloud it becomes more and more important to measure the performance and (mis)routing of the Internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ″'I am glad that you are here with me,' said Fr.. Cisco

What will Cisco do when it finds the NSA backdoors in their own software?

1. tip pc Silver badge

Re: ″'I am glad that you are here with me,' said Fr.. Cisco

the ones they put there?

2. Anonymous IV

Will this be the end of the Sam Knows "white box"?

Over very many years, many people in the UK have cheerfully donated desk space and electricity to host a Sam Knows "white box" router, interposed between their ordinary router and the rest of their home network. All they have received in return is the ability to look up online all those useful network stats mentioned in the article.

Are people likely to continue with this now that Cisco has taken over Sam Knows?

Will Cisco provide any form of adequate compensation, if they want to continue the same arrangement?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will this be the end of the Sam Knows "white box"?

I "hosted" a SamKnows whitebox device for a few years. A few times I was able to get into the reports and use those reports with my ISP to show that something was wrong with their network. That data point helped so much to prove the ISP network was bad and get me past the "did you power cycle your modem?" or the "well I can see your modem so everything must be OK."

The TP-link device's 100 Mbps FE interface became obsolete when my internet connection increased. I applied for a newer box and never got a response. I'd do it again if I had the chance.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The TP-link device's 100 Mbps FE interface became obsolete when my internet connection increased. I applied for a newer box and never got a response. I'd do it again if I had the chance."

Similar here. They didn't want the box back. So I got a USB to RS232 adaptor which attached to the RS232 header on the router board[*} and flashed it with DDWRT and it's been my wireless access point ever since on a separate VLAN.

[*] SamKnows monitoring routers arrive pre-flashed with their custom firmware and you can't get into it through the web interface, telnet, ssh etc., they are very well locked down.

2. Marty McFly Silver badge
      Flame

I have been submitting telemetry via a Sam Knows white box for years. This was for the overt purpose to hold my ISP accountable toward their advertised performance. Not that it made much difference, my wired-line ISP has never improved their service.

Thanks for the note, Reg. I am not going to be a stooge for Cisco's telemetry, goodness knows what sort of 'updates' they would deploy to profile & monitor my traffic, snoop my network, etc. The White Box port on my switch is now disabled, and next time I am tinkering in the server rack it will be unplugged & trashed.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Shame. I got one to encourage Vermin Media to up their game in our area. It seemed to work. However, I suspect the results are now gamed, as it misses the 1-2 minute outages I get occasionally.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"and next time I am tinkering in the server rack it will be unplugged & trashed."

You should email them first and tell them you no longer wish to participate. They may want the box back. Depends when they last sent you a new one, but best to cover yourself. In my case, a good few years ago, they offered to send me a pre-paid Jiffy-bag to return or I could keep/dispose of it myself. I chose the latter and flashed the firmware to give it a new lease of life.

3. ZaphodHarkonnen

The NZ Commerce Commission contracts with SamKnows to do this as well. I'm hosting one in my place right now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like