back to article Meta threatens to pull all news from California rather than pay El Reg a penny

Here we go again: Meta has threatened to block journalism content for California users after the US state's legislature read a bill that would require it, and other large internet organizations, to pay publishers for using their work.  The proposed California Journalism Preservation Act (CJPA), like similar bills before it, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is news on Facebook? Who knew.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Who knew"?

I have family members who seem to rely on facebook feeds for news and current affairs. They also use the phrase "who knew" quite frequently. I resist the urge to say "everybody but you" on a regular basis.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: "Who knew"?

"I resist the urge to say "everybody but you" on a regular basis."

Indulge yourself once in a while. How else will they learn?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Devil

What kind of news? Uncle Donny, help me out here... Fake News! Or so twisted out of proportion the original story is lost to antiquity.

2. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

Leading the pack (at least in 2019)

Use of Social Media Platforms (In General and as News Sources) by American Adults in 2019

Social media platform / Percent who use platform / Percent who get news or news headlines on platform

Facebook / 71% / 52%

3. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Do people really only use Facebook?

Isn't the point of having a web site to bring in visitors? If you want, IDK, the San Francisco Chronicle can somebody not visit that web site directly? Are people really just Facebook users?

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Do people really only use Facebook?

Why would you pay to read it on the Chronicle website if you could get it from Facebook for free?

1. Craig 2

"Why would you pay to read it on the Chronicle website if you could get it from Facebook for free?"

Who would know about some random news website if they didn't see it on Facebook?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Anyone that knows what a search engine does...

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Happy

> Anyone that knows what a search engine does...

FYI there is a astonishingly large part of the population (mostly 50+) for whom "Internet" is a very vague notion mostly encompassing Google (the Entry, where you enter "www.somesite.com" to go to that site!) and Facebook/YouTube. Yes, they usually have noticed there are lots of other sites to be found, but they prefer to stay on mapped territories, "there be dragons" and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Don't forget that many of these were indoctrinated into believing that IE (As in Internet Explorer) was the whole Internet.

Ok, those who didn't use AOL would have believed a slightly different story.\

Now.? Google is their home page and that's it as far as they are concerned.

Me? google.com is marked as 'untrusted' in all my browsers.

2. iron Silver badge

From what I've seen there is a large part of the population (mostly < 30) who have no idea how to use a search engine.

Instead they post the same questions on the same subreddits every other day.

2. katrinab Silver badge

Search engines are good if you know what you are looking for. They don't generally help you discover things you don't know about.

1. Adrian 4

IME they producer many, many results which are not what I was looking for. And that's not even the promoted stuff.

2. FatGerman

That's not how most people "consume" news. They - and I have a lot of sympathy with this - want one App they can look at, not multiple websites. News aggregators are nothing new, I've used various programs for doing that for years and years. Facebook is like an automated version of that - it figures out what your interests are and shows you items from the profiles of news publishers who "align" with those. Which is both a blessing and a curse. I don't use it as a primary source iof news but I certainly do see a lot of news articles I'd never have read otherwise.

1. MJI Silver badge

I LIKE news aggregation, main use for Google I find.

It enables you to skim a few sources to see which is more trustable on a subject.

Aggregating is not the end place but a search to other sites of interest.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Better to read it on an aggregator than to be sent to some Reach site.

2. Adrian 4

> It enables you to skim a few sources to see which is more trustable on a subject.

But then you have to trust the aggregator. Which is unlikely, for anything from Meta.

1. MJI Silver badge

That is why I use a search engine aggregrator such as google

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

one of the reasons the Rohinga genocide was that in Myanmar, Facebook IS the internet, preloaded onto phones usually. They released facebook in a language that had no moderators and were surprised by the result.

How many people use Google for everything. It's their home page, they do all their searches, get news, even buy bloody plane tickets now from it?

Personally I think the tech firms have had it too good. They get to steal other peoples content, republish it, layer their adverts on top of it, strip out the ad content that pays for the staff that actually DID the job and get away with it.

Facebook, Youtube, Insta etc should ALSO be labelled as publishers. No more getting away with, "well just because someone on our platform live streamed a Mosque or Synagogue shooting incident and we gave them ALL the technology they needed to do it AND we made money from the advertising on it; doesn't make us bad people" excuses.

1. Orv Silver badge

Upvoted because, while your suggestion would inevitably mean the end of social media websites with user-provided content, I'm no longer convinced that would be a bad thing.

4. Orv Silver badge

Given how slanted Facebook's choice of news stories to feature tended to be, we might be better off with them not providing any news at all.

5. Martin-73 Silver badge

META? the 'look its 2001 again thing?

Seriously VR failed in 2001, also it didn't have an unconvincing android as as its ceo, or the head of a failed social media experiment... wait, same thing

6. jake Silver badge

As a Californian ...

... quite frankly, I wouldn't give a fuck if metaface went TITSUP[0] permanently.

[0] Today It Totally Stops User Processes

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: As a Californian ...

As another Californian the only reason I can think for caring about Facebook is that it is -- or rather, was -- a major employer in the Bay area. Apart from that (and the taxes it pays) its irrelevant. If it disappeared tomorrow all that would happen is that I'd cease to be updated daily about a friends Wordle score (just something to delete in my inbox).

1. jake Silver badge

If it went away tomorrow, the cost of housing would plummet in the Bay Area.

"If it went away tomorrow, the cost of housing would plummet in the Bay Area."

The cost of housing and office space has been falling. It's at the point now where the mayor is considering hiring back the police they got rid of and putting money back into the fund for the police. Funny how much people miss not having the police show up when they call when they don't. I suppose they could get rid of paying for all of the free crack pipes, syringes and Narcan.

1. jake Silver badge

"It's at the point now where the mayor is considering"

The mayor of what? There is no mayor of the Bay Area.

"There is no mayor of the Bay Area."

San Francisco. Sorry. The surrounding towns are very similar to SF and often just follow along with anything that SF is doing.

I see the same thing in the city I live in. They copy/paste codes and regulations from other towns and the codes turn into 8th gen Xeroxed forms where nobody knows what they mean anymore since there had been no discussion or supporting material. I had a company that represented movie locations and the city where I live has regulations surrounding the use of 'tents'. When I asked the city what the definition was for what constituted a tent, they had no clue. They wouldn't/couldn't say if a shade canopy was a tent or not. I did find another city where they did have some definitions and what they were interested in were circus marquees. The odd thing was a marquee set up for dining off-camera wasn't an issue with getting the film permit. The same went for things like a 'practical oven/hob' or smoking. The whole crew could be puffing away all day long but if they filmed anybody smoking, they were required to have the fire brigade standing by and a line of certain types of fire extinguishers handy. The same for those ovens unless they were just being used to make lunch.

TL:DR The Mayor of SF can be considered the Mayor of the "Bay Area" as they mostly march in lock step.

1. jake Silver badge
                Pint

"The Mayor of SF can be considered the Mayor of the "Bay Area" as they mostly march in lock step."

Wow. I have never seen a more "not even wrong" statement in my entire life. Congrats! Beer?

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

We have unity across eight time zones.

7. hayzoos

A penny!

How many El Reg readers use Facebook? Not this one. From my vague memory analysis of commentards' opinions of Facebook (or your favorite derogatory variation) or Meta or the fearless leader MZ, I would say very few.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: A penny!

I believe most El Reg commentards use Facebook.....as a warning.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook should just do it.

Most media companies get FREE traffic from facebook, so they would only hurt themselves by insisting on payment from FB.

1. FatGerman

Media companies do all the work of research and writing the article, which Facebook then take a lot of the revenue from. How would you feel if somebody else was profiting from your work and not paying you while you watched your income plummet?

I'm not honestly sure Facebook is the villain here, people just expect to get news for free these days and there are plenty of places where they can do that. Facebook I think is just a big wealthy target that can afford to share, so why shouldn't they?

1. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Presumably those sites already have the ability to enforce their copyright, i.e. they can simply say "don't copy/publish our articles?"

I remember there was some legal disagreement around whether headlines were protected by copyright, but I don't think there is any ambiguity around ownership of article contents.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Facebook would probably be ok if they just showed the headline and a very short précis, all clickable to the source. From experience, quite a few people would still treat Facebook as the entire news source because the have such a short attention span they can barely get past even that much text before moving on to the next item, buy it would generate a lot more links to original article. On the other hand, I know people with very warped views of the world of new because they rarely, if ever, read beyond the first paragraph and as we all know, headlines + first paragraph is 99% clickbait that often implies the opposite of what you find when you read the full article. That plus Facebooks algorithms only showing what it thinks or wants you to see is still a recipe for a distorted world view.

1. MJI Silver badge

Just work like google news, provide 4 or 5 sources on the subject, witha headline and very short sumamry

2. schultzter

Copyright!

Funny you should mention copyright, that's specifically the problem with Canadian version of the law and it had carve out a "fair use" exemption to avoid contradicting our copyright law. If instead we had updated our copyright law to recognise copying has evolved then we wouldn't have needed a law requiring FB et al. to become the masters of our news industry.

2. Snake Silver badge

RE: why not?

Because Faceplant could just stop being both so f&cking lazy and selfish, and publish a preview of the article then [properly and legally] link to the full article for the full read. But no, Faceplant thinks that it gets to stake claim on anything and everything it wants to (all your personal data, your browsing history, your purchase history via cooperative business links, and now journalism) simply because they can.

It's someone else's work and property. You need to ask permission if you intend to use it for your own purposes.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Facebook needs other companies more than other companies need Facebook. After all, how many companies make a a profit advertising in the school yard?

9. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Given Facebook pays no tax, and the destruction of housing market near their offices, it would actually be a good thing if they left California for the vast majority of people there.

Facebook hasnt done much if any good for the local nobody in SF, so why would they care, they would actually be happy.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a promise or a threat?

I'm confused.

11. EricB123 Bronze badge

It's All About the Priorities

Refuse to pay the New York Times? So what.

Refuse to pay The Washington Post? Yawn.

Refuse to pay El Reg? Redrum!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: It's All About the Priorities

"Refuse to pay El Reg? Redrum!"

oooooh, that takes me back! :-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cry me a river

of fake zuck tears.

What? They don't exist? No matter. Never even seen a facebook login page (or any other mainstream social media platforms either) and I''m not going to start now as I near my 8th decade on this planet.

13. Mike 137 Silver badge

"we will be forced to remove news from Facebook and Instagram"

<sarc>Oh my, these are the only news outlets on the planet! We'll never be able to find out what's happening in the world now!!</sarc>

14. prh99

I can't blame them, it doesn't even pay for local journalism, it's a hand out for some of the wealthiest news orgs in the business. I am sure Condé Nast, LA Times, Fox, and NYT are falling over themselves to write glowing articles in support.

1. disgruntled yank

local journalism

From the eastern US, the LA Times looks a lot like local journalism.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: local journalism

The LA Times looks a lot like local journalism from Pasadena.

15. schultzter

These laws make FB the owner of our news

The Australian, Canadian, etc politicians love to beat their chests and claim to have protected their national culture against US internet tech giants.

But follow the money, if FB is bankrolling the news then it's controlling the news. The Australian law is quite explicit: only pay if you link, so who do you think FB is going to choose to link to? In Canada, most small independent news publishers, who would benefit most, aren't even eligible to claim compensation under the news law.

Do you really think the politicians are going to admit they screwed up and actually handed the keys to their country to a foreign corporation?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: These laws make FB the owner of our news

"Do you really think the politicians are going to admit they screwed up and actually handed the keys to their country to a foreign corporation?"

Follow the money, then tell me "screwed up".

16. jvf

Tabloid quality

I clicked on the Edge icon the other day out of curiosity. Its default is MSN.com (naturally). What a hoot! It’s like the National Enquirer of the digital age (my favorite headline from them years past was "woman cuts off nose to spite face"). Other than an occasional article from a reputable sports feed it’s splashed with fluffy, empty, non news items from dozens of ??? “news” sources. Quite entertaining for a few minutes, actually.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Tabloid quality

"It’s like the National Enquirer of the digital age"

Along with twitter, facebook, youtube and etc., presumably.

17. tiggity Silver badge

No social media here

Though I do find getting news more of a PITA than it used to be.

Way back I had a whole lot of RSS feeds configured in my RSS reader app, and then would inspect the "summary" and click through to read those of interest.

These days many sites have scrapped their RSS feeds (El Reg is one of the few that has retained them) and so this is getting less useful and most days tend to skip teh RSS app and just visit a few "favourite" web sites & get news that way, Shame RSS feeds have declined - I probably miss out on some potentially interesting news these days & probably shoudl sort out a (non social media related) news aggregator.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like