back to article When it comes to liquid and immersion cooling, Nvidia asks: Why not both?

Nvidia's vision for datacenter cooling asks the question: given the choice between liquid and immersion cooling, why should you have to choose? This concept, which involves a combination of direct liquid cooling (DLC) to the silicon and immersion cooling for the rest of the components, is the subject of a $5 million grant from …

1. bernmeister
    Pint

Cashcoin Liquid

I was involved in helping a cryptocurrency mining company setup liquid cooling for their server PSUs. They had a relatively simple solution where the PSU racks were immersed in dielectric fluid. Fans had to be removed and heatsink paste cleaned off before immersion. Certain components also needed to be replaced with immersion compatible types. The modifications were small and well within the capabilities of the customer. The result was successful.

Making other parts of the system compatible with liquid immersion was not attempted. I dont think anybody had the nerve to dump a working server into a tank of coolant. Perhaps with SSDs in the servers they may get that far. They werent spending millions on R&D, they were making millions. The mine was setup right next to a hydroelectric source to keep power costs down.They had a lot in their favour.

2. druck Silver badge

Not sure I wan't to...

...turn nice clean computers in to some sort of bubbling dripping mess of unpleasant fluids.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like