back to article Twitter Spaces groans under weight of Ron DeSantis and Elon Musk's egos

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis's plan to hold an "historic" US presidential campaign launch on a Twitter Spaces stream went about as well as you'd expect on a platform slowly collapsing under the weight of its former CEO's hubris. Twitter Spaces, an audio-only streaming service, melted in the face of DeSantis-drawn crowds, with …

1. YetAnotherXyzzy
    Pint

I just want to say how much I enjoy the first sentence of this article.

1. Vincent van Gopher

Agreed YAX - I read that with the voice of comedian Tommy Campbell on YT in my head. Roger Stone (spit, choke) and the talking Trump doll is hilarious, a gift that keeps on giving :)

(Tip - search 'mtg feet' on YT to understand Alex in the bunker sketch.)

2. Someone Else Silver badge

From the article:

One of the suggestions that Twitch may have for Twitter is to not fire more than 80 percent of your staff and cut your engineering team to a mere 550 people who are worried they won't be able to maintain the service.

Duh!

Perhaps if Elon weren't so busy licking right-wing ass, he might have the wherewithal to develop the infrastructure in his toy to allow him to keep licking right-wing ass.

Also, there was this:

We asked Twitter for an explanation of its performance yesterday, but in lieu of a helpful response only received the poop emoji.

Actually this is an accurate, low-bandwidth response. He is unambiguously stating that the performance was shit.

And stated in a way that will probably not "melt the servers".

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

We asked Twitter for an explanation

Don't turn blue! Don't hold your breath! You might get a response from Apple before Twatter replies to Reg.com about the short comings... And I doubt all of the viewers were there because they support Ron De-sanitary napkin... Some were there with popcorn enjoying Twatter implode! I'm sure some of those viewers will post here with their experience!

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Coat

Re: We asked Twitter for an explanation

Don't turn blue!

Of course not! The reply made all look brown. It even colours the candidates appropriately and also makes them smell as they behave.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We asked Twitter for an explanation of its performance yesterday, but in lieu of a helpful response only received the poop emoji."

I can't think of a better response. Maybe it wasn't all that bad of an idea to fire all those PR people.

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

What's worse...

...a single-emoji useless/unhelpful response (Twit), or no response at all (Apple)?

Depends on what you're going for. Both an emoji or silence (which can be truly golden) beat the profanity-laden tirade both company's CEOs probably desire to direct toward El Reg.

To reframe it as "what's the worst possible response to an inquiry?" I pick the silence. Knowing in advance that a poop emoji awaits reduces the shock of such a response and is more bearable than the anxiousness of no reply at all (there is still some anxiousness, even when you expect no response).

2. MiguelC Silver badge
      Coat

They should ask what Twitter thinks about it's own service quality. I'm sure they'll answer honestly.

5. that one in the corner Silver badge

What amazing technology

> stream reached a peak of 600,000 people

All trying to listen to the same audio-only stream. Why, that is over one tenth the audience for The Archers, who only manage 13 minutes per evening, not even every evening in the week!

What an amazing time to be alive, to be able to witness such a feat! What genius, to be able to bring us these marvels of the modern age!

(/s ooobbviously)

1. Bebu Silver badge

Re: What amazing technology

The Archers stlll going? I remember Morse used to listen at least to a Saturday(?) evening synopsis but I would have both were long dead and buried.

For a broadcast only event 600,000 listeners is more typically crystal set generation. How many hundreds of millions watched the recent costumed poncing about in the Abbey?

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Saturday is the only day of the week on which The Archers is not broadcast (12 minute episode at 19:03 Sunday - Friday, omnibus repeat 10:00 Sunday morning).

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Yes it's still going, but they are Grime collective now, and Ambridge has a Starbucks.

6. DS999 Silver badge

Pretty sad

Audio only streaming of voices is very low bandwidth, so for it to fall over with barely half a million listeners is some really piss poor infrastructure. ESPN+ sees audience levels higher than that watching full HD video streams of live events, and Netflix/Disney/Apple/Amazon/etc. may not be doing live events (much) but they support many millions of simultaneous streams. I think Amazon exceeded 10 million viewers for some of its live Thursday NFL games last fall, with many of them watching a 4K stream!

Musk is finding out the hard way you can't bully and fire your way to decent infrastructure, but the good news for him is that as people flee Twitter the infrastructure will have to support fewer and fewer simultaneous users.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So much for Musk the tech genius...

His cozying up to MAGA and the rest of the Right Wing in the USA will not end well. There are even calls for him to be fired from Tesla.

The skills needed to run Twatter and Tesla are very different.

Something has gotta give... and soon.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: So much for Musk the tech genius...

Making himself a polarizing figure will be a disaster for Tesla, especially given that the people who have been buying electric cars are almost all on the left since the right wing in the US is still denying global warming is a thing. He won't be selling many of those goofy looking trucks to Trump voters in rural America, that's for sure!

It probably already is - supposedly Tesla's long order backlog evaporated in a matter of months, and they did a half dozen price cuts until recently bringing prices back up, to rebalance supply and demand lest they end up having to cut production. They certainly won't be building all those factories all over the world he was talking about, the demand - especially outside the US - will simply not materialize as he had predicted and he has no one to blame but himself.

There's nothing wrong with a CEO or a company having political views and expressing them, but they have to be prepared for the consequences. This thing with Musk seems to have come out of left field, he had been pretty apolitical over the years. Not sure why he decided to tell everyone who he is, and I'll bet a lot of Tesla shareholders wish they'd had advance notice so they could have sold their shares.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

This doesn't help either

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/02/climate-change-denialism-flooding-twitter-scientists

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/5/23494220/elon-musk-twitter-climate-misinformation-rise-analysis

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/14/climate-crisis-deniers-target-scientists-abuse-musk-twitter

2. Orv Silver badge

Those calls won't go anywhere because the Tesla board is composed of friends and family loyal to him.

7. Howard Sway Silver badge

A launch as successful as his recent rocket missions

They've just shown some of it on the news. What an embarrassment, hearing Musk giving it all the "is it still working?" stuff was priceless.

It may well have been a clusterfuck because he'd sacked so many staff, but I'm guessing that a lot more are going to be fired after this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, but keep something in mind..

This is a blatant right winger who has bought a communication platform with a reach that Murdoch's setup can only dream about. Now Musk has clearly come out as as raw right wing as you can get away with without being locked up 18 years for seditious conspiracy he will attract all the nutters - and the money from the gazillionaires still sponsoring these wack jobs. That is the only way I can see him get *any* return for the $44bn that he and Twitter are on the hook for in loan and interest charges.

Basically, the clear and present danger to the US has jumped from Trump to Musk, who (a) has a much larger fan base who by now are already indoctrinated enough to overlook deficiencies and who (b) is smart enoigh to only go for President by proxy so he can continue to avoid scrutiny (but finally maybe get a proxy to lose the babysitting of his Tesla tweets).

Do not underestmate this - Musk is converting Twitter into truth social, f=but for the people HE wants to wi the election. And as far as I can tell, that is no longer Trump, probably because Trump will be spending too much time in court..

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: OK, but keep something in mind..

The sad thing underlying this is 150-600K people wanted to listen in to this and actually think RDS is a credible Presidential Candidate ….. rather than a particularly nasty right wing piece of shit.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Makes sense for Musk though. When DeSantis gets rid of all the books in the country, people will be more inclined to read Twitter.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Indeed, he switched abruptly from IQ45 to Rhonda which could also be because Rhonda is as unbalanced as Paedo Leon.

9. alain williams Silver badge
    1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Re: Twitter chief engineer falls on sword

From that BBC article:

> However, Mr Dabiri said: "Working with @elonmusk has been highly educational, and it was enlightening to see how his principles and vision are shaping the future of this company."

Now, that is a carefully worded reply (and who can blame him - he quit rather than be pushed, Musk is probably outraged that Elon[1] didn't get the chance to defenestrate and would set his rabid legal ferrets onto any more informative statement).

[1] Come on, you know Musk refers to himself in the third party as any good mook character does; although he imagines himself as poor misunderstood Galactus, big space ships, Silver herald (albeit with broken windows) and all, when we see "Musk smash".

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

> Silver herald[2] ... and all

[2] Ha! He wishes he had a Herald, now that would be a Triumph![3]

[3] Curses, missed the edit window by - *that* much. Come along, 99.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Priceless, it's in the vein of "I'd like to say it was lovely working with you all."

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"I'd like to say it was lovely working with you all."

I hadn't heard that one before. Pure genius, but I hope I don't ever need to use it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Radio Elon

It’ll be white on the night!

11. Sanguma

There's a story in the Mediterranean/Middle East/Central Asia area,about someone variously called the Mullah Nasrudin or Goha/Juha/Hoja/Giuffa, who had a donkey, and a distressing lack of finances. So he cut back on his donkey's feed day by day, until it fell over and died of starvation. "Now that's a pity," he was heard to remark. "I could've got it living on nothing at all!"

Meanwhile i expect Elon Musk'll keep pushing at his gaskrankinstation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4topF9qZSjs&ab_channel=FlyingNunRecords

but I think it's mostly dead by now.

12. Ashto5

Mouse wars

When you pitch your future as fighting with a mouse then you deserve everything you get.

Florida where careers go to die.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mouse wars

The Mouse always wins.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like