back to article Amazon to shutter its Chinese Appstore – the one used by hardly anyone, anywhere

Amazon.com has pulled the plug on the Chinese outpost of its Appstore. Readers could be forgiven for not knowing Amazon operates an Appstore anywhere – the e-tail colossus bundles it with "Fire" tablets, which run a modified version of Android and sell around 16 million units year around the world. That's just under ten …

1. Captain Scarlet
    Coat

Does anyone even use Appstores on smart devices anymore?

I must admit when I got my first android I brought loads of apps (Accuweather and Sound Hound were my first and still have them installed. Back then I found the smartphone couldn't do what my previous handset could do, I still prefer to buy apps instead of using adware supported apps), but then I am not normal. I do wonder who still uses the app stores and buys anything anymore.

I've not purchased any apps or installed any free apps for years, I find them all boring and I use my personal PC for gaming (Even then my most recent purchase Company of Heroes 3 I refunded based on feeling ripped off compared to COH 1 and 2)

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

Re: Does anyone even use Appstores on smart devices anymore?

At the moment, my banking app is probably the easiest way, and might soon be almost the only way, to pay my bills. Some banks require two devices to authenticate yourself, so unless you want to use two different PCs you rather have to download their app. The app from the national train company is also the simplest way by far to buy a ticket. The app from the national topography service is very useful when hiking (much better than the one coming with the phone).

Maybe you don't use app stores anymore, but I can say with confidence you are in a very small minority.

1. Captain Scarlet

Must admit I did forget about the banking app (Although 4 years ago so I don't class that as recent), I am lucky I can just swipe my card through train turnstiles as near enough to London (Obviously I always whinge about price).

I always find apps to pay for things like travel/parking/cinema etc... to be more trouble than they are worth so I'll just use a machine (Rather than spend 15 minutes signing up for an account to find I need to call their customer services).

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Yes, I still use appstores (both Play and APKPure for geoblocked stuff). I have bought very few apps - mainly OSMand which is certainly worth it. But I also recently bought a years's subscription to Windy (outside the store no 30% for Google), which is unbeatable for doing anything outdoor.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Can't remember the last app I bought, but I do install the usual suspects of free ones. Have not used the Amazon appstore since I ditched my daughters Kindle Fire many years ago.

4. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Unless they are only using it for web browsing and email, then yes?

I'm guessing banking apps will be quite a popular choice, though because not everyone uses the same bank, none of the individual banks apps will generally make it to the top charts.

Apps for various video streaming services do tend to make it to the top charts, along with some social media apps and games.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Windows 11 Android subsystem

Does that help anyone whose only device is an Android phone or phablet?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like