back to article Rigorous dev courageously lied about exec's NSFW printouts – and survived long enough to quit with dignity

Wait? What? Is it Monday already? Not to fear, gentle readerfolk, for Uncle Reg is here with another instalment of Who, Me? – tales of readers having a much worse day than you. Enjoy the schadenfreude. This week meet a programmer we'll Regomize as "Ron" who was hand-picked for his job at a family-run company. The CFO of the …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    Joke

...including money laundering...

Yes, because they already sullied printer paper. That is definitely not far from having to clean paper money accidentally entering the printer queue.

1. Blazde Silver badge

Presumably the CFO didn't notice any financial irregularities due to his advancing blindness

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
        FAIL

Never had good luck working for family owned businesses

“Nepotism is the lowest and least imaginative form of corruption.” - Daniel Alarcón

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: Never had good luck working for family owned businesses

If you work for the first generation creator, it's not bad. If you work for the second generation pretender, it's not good.

1. eionmac

"Clogs to Clogs in 3 generations", they say up north.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

"Rags to rags...." where I grew up in Manchester. And I knew more than a few families like that. Grandparents had worked hard, cleverly ( and sometimes crookedly). Gen 2 had kept the business ticking over- having worked in it since they were old enough to drop out of school- maybe evengrown it. Gen 3, many being ones I grew up with, pretty much all seemed to think that either a) the business owed them a living, as a right or b) that they were natural business geniuses because they'd inherited acumen along with the premises and stock or c) both. Respectively draining the business dry while refusing to invest anything back and trying to scam the customers to increase margins or going off into all sorts of business tangents that lost money hand over fist. Commonly paying every family member as a "director" and then sitting in the office for a while every day chatting, sending staff out to collect takeaways paid for by the business until it was time for golf or drinks or whatever it wast they went off to do. Several such businesses folded when the VAT dept came after them. Or the suppliers stopped supplying. My dad worked for one such as a QA manager, with very specific requirements from the client- but they used to produce a lot of substandard stuff to save money, that dad had to reject, then at night the bosses'd sneak the rejected stuff into the bottom of the bundles for despatch, because they thought they were clever and the client wouldn't ever think of checking that. Then they'd go into a rage when the entire delivery was rejected by the client. And they did this more than once. And they only had one signifiant client (Marks and Spencer) - who just got sick of them and ended the contract. And the company folded within days. Which was when staff found the NI hadn't been paid to the government either..

One school mate of mine was the heir to a couple of busy but small shoe shops that his grandparents has started and his father had opened the second shop years before.. When we were doing exams he'd be sitting in "his" branch while a manager did all the work. We'd see him in there doing bugger all when we went past, even though there were people waiting. At some point he must have inherited or something, but he'd been running the business, briefly.. When I got back from uni both branches had closed down because they hadn't paid the suppliers and couldn't get the stock anymore.

I have a few other such stories, but they all follow the same pattern. Some about my school crowd, some from my dad's work

2. Ignazio

Royal families everywhere want to have a chinwag

2. ecofeco Silver badge

...his advancing blindness...

LOL! Well played. Well played.

1. Random Commenter

The CFO obviously needed to get a grip on things...

2. Diogenes

clogs to clogs

Lets see how this pans out...

Gen 1 Keith Murdoch,

Gen 2 Rupert Murdoch,

Gen 3 Lachlan , James, Elisabeth Murdoch

It worked that way for the Packers, for the non antipodeans, James (Gen 3) is otherwise known for being engaged for a time to Mariah Carey.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: clogs to clogs

Lachlan is even nastier than Rupert and has been running the business side of things for a while

If you're counting on a crash'n'burn under his watch than you'll need regulators to get involved :(

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same in South Africa but quicker

We have one conglomerate here that was started by a gentleman of Afrikaner extraction who used to hobnob with the government bigwigs during the apartheid years to get contracts and then hobnobbed with the new government once the old one was sent packing. He gave control of some of its divisions to his sons (one of whom was rumoured to have a problem with Colombian marching powder). Once the inevitable happened, the old man asked the two to kindly go onto to do their own things, they'll get their share when he finally kicks off........The lesson here being that in South Africa you can eff up a dynasty in just two generations.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Same in South Africa but quicker

Was his name Musk, by any chance?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Go

X-Rated Regomiser?

Ron and Jeremy. Nice choice for a pr0n related Who Me?

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: X-Rated Regomiser?

Indeed.

I also noted that Jeremy was a bit of a Playboy and had an office in the Penthouse. Well played.

2. Jedit Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: X-Rated Regomiser?

I'd upvote this post, but it's currently at 69 and I can't bring myself to do it.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Anti-ANC South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: It's always the boss

Lovely trip down memory lane.

Thanks.

4. David 132 Silver badge
    Happy

"Ron" definitely missed a trick, I fear. When summoned by "Jeremy" to the C-suite, I'd probably have replied with a cheery and innocent: "No problem, we just accidentally got one of your printouts sent down here to the pool, the printer logs confirm it's yours, $FemaleEmployeeName has brought it to me, we'll bring it back up to you immediately."

And watch him squirm.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Surefire way of getting ignominiously sacked for something stupid and drag things out over a long time. Probably better to play dumb and get out like Ron did.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Art of War

Deception is the basis of all warfare. If you have decided to leave *because of the boss's character*, keep those cards close to your chest.

1. cob2018
          Headmaster

Re: Art of War

Well, to be precise, I have never left a job *because of the boss's character*, however, *the boss's LACK of character* is a very different situation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice idea but in small companies it's your word against theirs and they can engineer anything to make you look bad. Better option, keep schtum and get out with your reputation and dignity intact, no issues getting your next job, unless it's something illegal then never burn bridges as you leave. The IT industry, at least here in the UK, has a very odd habit of being very, very small indeed! I've been able to pinpoint some people simply by their habits when described by others, surprising how easy it is to find people through the IT industry grapevine!

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Boffin

I certainly would've taken the printouts with me and walked into his office declaring "I've diagnosed the problem - your default printer is set to the wrong one. Here's your wayward printouts and if you'll give me 30 seconds on your computer I'll correct the printer setup"

You don't need to discuss the contents. Chances are the boss will remember you kindly for not making it embarrassing for him.

(icon: PPE required whenever entering that office in future)

1. John Sager

Then he knows that you know, which will go either of two ways.

1) he is very nice and tries to bribe you to keep schtum. If you don't accept, it goes to (2), which might be the direct path one anyway.

2) you are now a target for anything from bad reports all the way up to murder.

Better to make out you knew nothing, which the 'accidentally deleted job' excuse covers nicely.

1. Orv Silver badge

This is the kind of thing you keep to yourself, but quietly file away the evidence in case you need leverage later.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

It's the kind of evidence which if found on the premises can get YOU sacked, so treading carefully is the order of the day

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Chances are"

With a boss like that, I wouldn't want to leave anything to chance.

3. Jedit Silver badge
        Stop

"You don't need to discuss the contents. Chances are the boss will remember you kindly."

This is exactly what Ron tried to do when he said the job was "missing", and his boss was far from kindly about it.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The C-Suite is protected from anything apart from legal action, and, even then there's usually a lot of leeway.

5. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Not Thinking it Through

Your proposed actions would probably get $FemaleEmployeeName unjustifiedly fired. Shooting the messenger(s), and all that.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

No no no no... so much trouble...

Tell him the printer was displaying "Load French Letter" and not printing anything, so the pool staff asked Ron to get it turned on.

Then the boss doesn't know you know, but he's afraid.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

That sort of boss doesn't squirm, and such an act could have been literally suicidal

1. jake Silver badge

"That sort of boss doesn't squirm, and such an act could have been literally suicidal"

Oh, I don't know ... Back in my 9-5 career, I very much enjoyed thwacking manglement over the head (individually or collectively) with large piles of wet-ink paper-trail.

Until I discovered that I could make a lot more money doing the exact same thing as a consultant, with absolutely no danger of getting fired.

It's amazing how heavy even a signed post-it can feel when wielded appropriately.

1. Flightmode

> Until I discovered that I could make a lot more money doing the exact same thing...

I thought this sentence was going to end differently; mentioning things like blackmail, bitcoin and threats of public humiliation.

1. jake Silver badge

Perhaps I should have added "and without risk of going to jail here in the real world"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I concur.

I was outsourced to a government department and suddenly someone high up decided we should record all network traffic. That would have been a massive headache and in those days it wasn't easy to do either, so we did a quick recce on what traffic flew past*, recording it for analysis so we could work out what exactly we'd be facing.

Let's just say that what we identified resulted in a reminder of the OSA, a supervised delete of that recording and that project being withdrawn at a speed rarely seen in civil service :).

* Before you draw the wrong conclusion, we actually knew beforehand that one division was about to do an investigation of such material so it was more a BOFH matter of timing than actual questionable activity. Sometimes the Universe is on your side :).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OSA? Google just shows up Obstructive Sleep Apnoea

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Official Secrets Act. At least, that’s what it means in World War 2 murder mysteries.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

That's what it's still called today, and it has a couple of ugly gotchas (like all laws that seek to protect government information), the main one being that the Official Secrets Act applies to all. It doesn't magically show up if you approach a government building or function, you are subject to it by merely being in the UK or by dealing with UK issues (I think - someone who is an actual lawyer can probably clarify what happens if you are abroad).

That many government departments make you sign something about the OSA is only to give them evidence that they have reminded of its existence, not that you have just signed your life away: that happened already..

1. Ptol
                Megaphone

From my understanding, the official secrets act is a UK law, that applies to everyone. However, there are sections that either escalate an offence in severity and/or specifically only apply to people who have signed the official secrets act.

The act of signing is definitely used as evidence that you should have been aware that you are breaking the official secrets act, if you are later found to have breached the law.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, but ignorance of the law is never an excuse. That said, judging by some ministerial activity, general ignorance apparently is..

2. TimMaher Silver badge
                  Coat

Section 10

Just saying.

2. Anonymous Anti-ANC South African Coward Bronze badge
      Unhappy

Sometimes it is better to take the blame and be employable still, than trying to force justice and be unemployable...

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Absolutely. It's all about wining the war and loosing the odd battle.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
          Mushroom

If there's another war where I live I will be 'wining' as well ..... on top of a hill watching the rockets come in!

-------> Last thing I'm likely to see. Hopefully just after I finish the wine!

6. trevorde Silver badge

Shared printers

Worked at a company many years ago where the sysadmin had a very 'liberal' policy with regard to what we were allowed to browse ie no restrictions *at all*. He eventually had to have a conversation with one of the senior devs (grandfather of two and a real pr0n hound). It went along the lines of: "[name redacted], you know I don't monitor your browsing and I don't really care what you look at but if you do print it out, ferrchrissake, TAKE IT OFF THE PRINTER!"

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Shared printers

What boggles my mind is why anybody would print it out in the first place. Makes no sense.

Not being a pr0n aficionado, I'm probably missing something ...

1. FIA Silver badge

If you don't print it out how else is it going to get distributed to the local hedgerows?

2. Plest Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Keeping keyboards and screens clean of "material" is harder than when compared to just throwing pieces of paper into the bin?! *shudder*

3. WonkoTheSane

Back in prehistoric times, you couldn't take your screen into the restroom (or so I'm told).

4. Mark 65

What boggles my mind is why anybody would print it out in the first place. Makes no sense.

They wanted a hard copy?

7. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Upstairs, in the penthouse, the executives and sales people had their own printers

I this story's context, Penthouse seems appropriate

1. jake Silver badge

Well, yes. Of course.

Where do you think the magazine got the name?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Otherwise occupied

I used to work at a place where one of the office admins walked into a director's office and found him "otherwise occupied" with his pants round his ankles - he looked up and said "be with you shortly"!

It took ages for IT to clean up and purge all the evidence from the backup rotations.

9. jollyboyspecial

Odd thing to do

I don't understand why you'd respond by hiding the hard copy (oooerrr, obviously)

In that situation there is surely only one thing to do. March up to the CFOs office with the printouts and dump them on his desk with a cheery "here are your printouts". I suspect that might have resulted in a pay rise.

1. Roopee Bronze badge

Re: Odd thing to do

Jeremy was clearly an impulsive hot-head and non too bright with it, so a P45 was more likely, followed by an interesting constructive dismissal case...

2. Orv Silver badge

Re: Odd thing to do

You only do that if you're ready to be fired immediately. If you're not, you save it in case your hand gets forced.

10. Bebu Silver badge

Bit puzzled for a moment

For some unfathomable reason I thought this was back in the days of line printers or otherwise text only printers - it was probably the Unix print system :)

I was bemused by how much imagination would be required to extract anything vaguely NSFW from ascii art - a banner page with a particularly offensive word might do it. I vaguely recall an ascii art poster, I think, of a reclining Raquel Welch.

Clearly this was at a somewhat later period with photo quality printing.

Having a quick sqiz at asciiart.eu for the old Raquel image I could see some of the "art" is a bit naughty but more puerile than prurient.

I suspect the ladies in the basement were more concerned that someone in the firm was sending this material to them, the creepiness of which worried them far more than the actual content. I could imagine the laughter If they were certain of what had actually happened, namely some Rupert upstairs was so engrossed in having his moment that he sent his stimulatory images to the wrong printer.

Money laundering eh - suppose some of the Rupert's banknotes could be a bit sticky.

1. SonofRojBlake

Re: Bit puzzled for a moment

"I vaguely recall an ascii art poster, I think, of a reclining Raquel Welch."

I remember that! I first saw that no later than 1978, when I was at primary school... cheers for the Proustian rush...

1. Benegesserict Cumbersomberbatch Silver badge

Must have been Michael Palin

(site of proposed joke about taxation)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was that the hi-res ascii one using new fangled lowercase chars, or the older lo-res baudot one from the teleprinters?

I well remember the little rolls of punch tape in the toolbox pour tittilating les femmes telegraphique

3. MarthaFarqhar

Has memories of being an undergrad with a 24 hour lab. Went to pick up a listing, and a job was hogging the listing printer. lpq showed who owned it, and he went beetroot red after a few of us were shouting his name. Turns out he was using gif2ascii *pron.gif | lpr -P labprinter

He was later found using the operators room printer as it was colour. That was the end of a budding Paul Raymond

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

Most of those were by Mike Jittlov and were of his roomate (Meriday Beth Komor)

Names are given so you can look them up, they're both well known

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

A young lady in the altogether, perched on a 4-legged stool, was the image of choice at my secondary school. I may still have the card deck somewhere...

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
        Coat

Can I ask which way up the stool was? Cos the joke I remember was about 4 ladies of negotiable affection on a single bar stool!

--------> Mine's the dirty mac!

2. jake Silver badge

Here's a few old men doing important historical research at the Computer History Museum. No, I am not in this video, but I may have contributed to the delinquency ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlrITxB5qg

3. Richard Pennington 1
        Coat

And you came THAT close to inventing Braille pornography ...

That jacket needs a dry-clean ...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Coat

"Urggg thats gone all over my coat that 'as, ........what am I gonna tell the woman at Sketchleys then?....... tell 'er I keep pigeons I suppose!"

Paraphrased from Jim Davisons Cornish Pub Joke - Look it up for yourselves NSFW.

2. jake Silver badge

From Wiki:

"The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) has published a braille edition of Playboy since 1970.[99] The braille version includes all the written words in the non-braille magazine, but no pictorial representations. Congress cut off funding for the braille magazine translation in 1985, but U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Hogan reversed the decision on First Amendment grounds.[100]"

[99] Not my footnote.

[100] ANMF

1. Diogenes

I have seen 3d prints of photographs for the blind. A teacher I used to known created them for the photographer who was blind from birth.

2. Jedit Silver badge
            Trollface

"... but no pictorial representations"

So there really is someone who just reads Playboy for the articles?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "... but no pictorial representations"

I used to access playboy.com from $orkplace ... using lynx.

I was honestly only reading it for the rather well written technical articles.

I still use Lynx regularly ... roughly 99.9% of everything useful online is text.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I was bemused by how much imagination would be required to extract anything vaguely NSFW from ascii art

Not necessarily visual art, there were many, umm, entertaining stories floating around some usenet groups, they just needed some imagination.

4. jake Silver badge

"back in the days of line printers or otherwise text only printers"

These are still those days ... I use line printers, dot matrix and daisy wheel printers near daily.

Horses for courses & all that.

5. jake Silver badge

"I was bemused by how much imagination would be required to extract anything vaguely NSFW from ascii art"

The current crop of hand-wringers and namby-pambys seemingly find offense everywhere they look.

Prudery runs in waves. This too shall pass. And return. And pass ...

11. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Years back, I did tech support for a studio (already mentioned it once today).

However, one day, I was clearing up said studio after a lecture. One of the video recorders had a tape left in it. I played it to see if I could work out who to return the tape to. Up popped one of our lecturers. I was just about to eject the tape and ask him to come pick it up (lecturers weren't required on campus unless they needed to speak to students, so I couldn't just pop it to his office), when I noticed something.

On screen, he was walking away from the camera, but that wasn't what he noticed. What I noticed is that he was wearing nothing on his bottom half. While I only saw him from the back, so didn't see the front bit, it's still an image I took a long time to recover from..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite a hairy moment?

:)

12. Sparkus

A CFO who has personal ties to EMC

In the mid-90s, around Boston, it was common for EMC to take CFOs, CEOs, just about anyone who wasn't in IT, on excursions and trips. Lavish stuff.

Then we found that our CFO had inked a really large purchase deal with EMC with no involvement from IT. None at all. Of course at the time, EMC has no connectivity to Novell or the very standard SCSI-2 ports that 3d and 3d generation RS/6000/AIX boxen used. Even their mainframe connectivity used non-standard channel adapters which required patches to the IBM source including modifying block-device byte counts.

Gear was delivered. And sat on the dock for six months (paid for of course) because of this 'problem'. Started looking for the door when in their death throws, the Pyramid Unix sales guy started buying large screen TV sets for people.

My last act going out the door was to out the CFO to the board of directors.

Company was absorbed into a smaller competitor (!!) a few months later and remained a Novell shop until Y2K and an AIX shop until around 2015. As far as I could tell, the EMC gear was never put into production.

13. aerogems Silver badge
    WTF?

Endgame?

Kind of wondering what the endgame was for the CFO, because they didn't seem to think things through very well. Assuming for the sake of argument that the CFO had actually sent the documents to the correct printer and there was indeed an issue with said printer... When our hero fixed the problem, wouldn't you expect the queued up documents to immediately start printing, and for the hero to be present to witness the, er, fruits of their labor? Either way, this seemed destined to, ahem, blow up in the CFO's face. (Maybe I should change the icon to I'll get my coat)

1. Sparkus

Re: Endgame?

Arrogant Entitlement doesn't require a cogent 'endgame'......

14. ecofeco Silver badge

Somewhat similar situation?

Yeah, too many times. Did the same thing: planned my exits with much haste.

People don't seem to realize IT sees EVERYTHING.

1. G.Y.

Re: Somewhat similar situation?

" IT sees EVERYTHING." -- ask that junior air national guard guy who posted interesting stuff on an open group

15. Kirkaiya

Sounds a lot like a company in Portland, OR that I used to work for!

This company sounds a lot like one I worked for, for about 20 months, in the Portland, Oregon area. That company - also in the news in the past few years for financial crimes including becoming a Ponzi scheme - had even more hypocrisy, since they billed themselves as a company run on "Christian values" (as a non-religious person, perhaps I should have seen that as a red flag). The CEO and CFO have been banned from running any company in that same industry, as a result. I'm glad I got out just before they got raided!

16. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Holmes

A Flock Of Seagulls

I worked fro a time in a electronics factory on the East Devon coast...

We had one individual who I shall best describe as a Mr Bean type (The only difference is you don't get the lack of hygiene with Mr Bean on a screen).

The stories I have of this person are many, but the one that is relevant to todays "Who Me!" is this.

Jules was lazy, tight & as previously described, he had his car* stolen in Bristol, though it was recovered fairly quickly, he still decided to put in a claim. Now Jules being Jules didn't want to eat into his lunchtime, making a call from the public payphone in full view & earshot of the female wiring & assembly operators (Including the Ex Mrs Oncoming Scorn), so he made the call15 mins before the shop floor would be devoid of personnel.

The conversation ran along the lines you might expect..

Good Afternoon, thank you for calling Norwich Onion Claims Department, my name is Mandy, how can I help you today?

Errrmmm....my car was stolen over the weekend.

Ohh dear, lets have some details

(The personal information bit then follows).

Thank you for that, now you said your car was stolen?

Yeshhh in Bristol.

Did you inform the police?

Yessshh

& whats been done so far

Theysh found it, I want to make a claim against stolen items.

I see & what exactly was stolen.

My entire collection of porn magazines (& tapes)!

*The stories of his car could fill small book by themselves, the briefest one I can relate was it had a Mohawk hairstyle, right along the centre of the roof, shaped by him driving & about 4" high of seagull shit (Parked car in parents barn, that had seagulls in residence,the car generally looked like a flock of Albatrosses had relieved themselves).

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presential printing thingamabob.

My company decided that people forgetting they had any document printed was waste of resources, so now you had to login on a printer - any printer - to make your printer queue show up and you could select any document from it.

That turned out to be a godsend, because printers break down, but the network way less often than those. So I could print my stuff anywhere, including any other printer that belonged to any other building.

Turning windows print queue upside down is genius, in my opinion.

18. Mike Friedman

Clueless users

My favorite version of this story was finding emails from the co-owner of the business that was my client (a gymnastics school). He was sending emails USING HIS WORK ACCOUNT to Craig's List personals for escorts.

This was the week after I'd heard his wife's diatribe about how she had caught her 16 year old son looking at porn. DUH. He's sixteen and he's male. Of course he looks at porn. She ranted that all porn ALL PORN is exploitation of women. Um. Sure. OK.

The other was walking into my boss' office, during work hours, at a large University to find him looking at porn on his work computer. DUDE. REALLY? At least turn the screen away from the frickin door!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like