back to article One of the world's most prominent blockchain apps looks like being binned

The Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) has signalled it will abandon plans to rebuild its core platforms on blockchain technology. In 2017 the ASX decided to replace its core app, named CHESS, with a system based on blockchain and Digital Asset Modelling Language (DAML). The Exchange hoped to allow market participants to run …

1. DS999 Silver badge
    Terminator

Because now it is going to be built on generative AI!

Gotta follow the buzzword of the moment, after all!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because now it is going to be built on generative AI!

Crypto was only ever going to be a filler buzzword between Web3.0 and AI

1. Rafael #872397
        Devil

How sad it is that NFTs are already forgotten!

2. LionelB Silver badge

Oh, right - you thought crypto had gone away? (Not that that's what the article was about.)

1. DS999 Silver badge

No the "blockchain is the solution to every problem" idiocy has gone away.

1. LionelB Silver badge

Agreed - but not what AC said.

So still a solution in search of a problem.

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

... deprive the world of one of the most visible and demanding applications for which it was ever mistakenly considered suitable.

Fixed that for you...

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Absolutely, you beat me to it.

Given that they failed over many years to define what exactly its benefit would be and how to deliver it I'd say the word "suitable" seems to be a bit of an overstatement.

2. iron Silver badge

The sentence worked perfectly without your superflous adjective.

3. trevorde Silver badge

Blockchain not at fault

They just didn't believe in it enough

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Blockchain not at fault

Clap your hands if you believe in blockchain.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Always remember. Every time you don't believe in blockchain, a blockchain fairy dies.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Always remember. Every time you don't believe in blockchain...

... a blockchain application dies.

(I wish)

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Hmmm. Not believing in one imaginary thing means another imaginary thing dies - sweet.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Thumb Up

While I can understand the attractiveness of a chain in a discrete transaction – say a shipment – I never saw the point of either endless chains or distributed ledgers, except as memes to feed techno utopians.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

There are certainly many good applications for Merkle graphs in general, such as some types of filesystems, git,1 some database systems, and so on. And there are applications which are of theoretical interest even if they're not practical, such as hash-based signature schemes.

But blockchain is just a dumbed-down, degenerate Merkle graph, and I've yet to see a good use case for it. The one where it supposedly provides something useful – as an append-only ledger in a Byzantine environment – fails all over the place in practice (e.g. partitioning attacks) while consuming egregious amounts of resources.

1Well, git is a popular application of a Merkle tree. I'll leave the question of whether it's a good one to the side.

3. BOFH in Training

Blockchain is not at fault in this case.

The fault lies on the idiots who decided to chase the latest buzzword without investigating if it's actually suitable for their needs. I must admit blockchain sounds interesting, but I don't think it will be of use in most places. Maybe in some very specific niches it will find a role.

Just cos you hear how great a hammer is, it does not mean it fits every role you may throw at it.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I must admit blockchain sounds interesting, but I don't think it will be of use in most places.

The USP of blockchain is that it gives an untamperable(*) record in an environment where absolutely nobody can be trusted. There are only two situations where that applies – cut throat criminal circles of the worst sort and paranoid fantasies. Many crypto bros seem to exist mentally in the latter, and nobody in their right mind would want to get involved in the former. For all sane uses a trusted third party ledger is more efficient than blockchain.

(*) Sort of, presuming no implementation errors and no chance of anybody getting a 51% concentration of compute power.

1. breakfast Silver badge

Honestly the former is the major USP for cryptocurrency now, just as it was before the big bubble. Aside from the ideologues and the sunk cost desperadoes you're pretty much down to criminals and money launderers.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You've never dealt with copyright claims on artwork then!

When you've had people take your images, start making money and you don't see a penny despite you selling your images yourself, then you have to spend 3 months fighting to get their shop stopped in one place only to have it pop up somewhere else, all the time the websites and marketplaces make you jump through hoops to prove you own something all the time watching money your owed trickle away. Blockchain is not a miracle cure but lodging your images and artwork in an untamperable "record" somewhere sounds promising, you can just point at it say "There's my proof I own XYZ artwork.".

Sadly they won't let we photographers and artists cut the goolies of art thieves...yet!!

1. Ace2 Silver badge

And then I could start up my own blockchain, record all of your artwork in it under my own wallet (or whatever), and get rich!

We’d have twice as much ‘proof.’ It would be great.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Blockchain is not a miracle cure but lodging your images and artwork in an untamperable "record" somewhere sounds promising, you can just point at it say "There's my proof I own XYZ artwork.".

You seem to have missed my point that a trusted third party is more efficient than blockchain. I'm not saying blockchain technology can't be used, just that I've seen no convincing argument that it's any better than conventional techniques. "sounds promising" doesn't hack it and there really is a need for protection for creators like you.

Sadly they won't let we photographers and artists cut the goolies of art thieves...yet!!

:-)

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
            Stop

I've seen copyright assertion by the image big boys like Getty who helped write current legislation. The answer every time is: pay now before it gets worse.

Oh, you're a small time artist? Well, hard luck because the laws weren't written for you. Assign your copyright to one of the big boys and, for a fee, they'll be more than happy to pursue the matter.

That aside, how on earth can something as dumb as blockchain ever be expected to enforce copyright? Minimal changes to anything digital would immediately invalidate any kind of hash upon which a chain could be built.

4. Ropewash

You would need to actually host the image on-chain. Which is beyond expensive for anything bigger than a pixelpunk.

What the current system does is attach a receipt to a link to your image. Your buyer doesn't own the image (it's on someone else's server), they don't own the link (it's pointing at someone else's server), they only own the receipt which doesn't stop anyone from copying the image, hosting it on a different server, minting it on a different chain and calling it their own with all the same digital 'proof of ownership' as your buyer can produce.

5. Munchausen's proxy
            Flame

You might own the artwork, but the ownership class owns the law. Good luck.

6. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I vaguely remember something like that does indeed already exist, or I have at least come across it.

7. LybsterRoy Silver badge

<<you can just point at it say "There's my proof I own XYZ artwork.".>>

How exactly does this stop someone unlawfully selling your artwork. The best it can do is increase the churn on the "shops" they use.

8. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

There are plenty of tamper-proof ledger schemes. Blockchain offers nothing novel for your use case. It's simply popular.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I would like to say that you missed "stock markets and other exchanges" off your list of situations. But I'd be wrong, wouldn't I...

4. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

We all know leadership loves bonuses, can someone please penalise or sue them for wasting money. In this case can somone sue the CTO of ASX for the cost of the project x100.

5. Alan Bourke

Today you could just search\replace 'blockchain' in this

with 'AI'

1. Gerhard den Hollander

Re: Today you could just search\replace 'blockchain' in this

remember, you cannot type blockchain without typing AI

6. Howard Sway Silver badge

This was billed as a modern way to run an exchange, instead of an old-fashioned central platform

Textbook example of an organisation being lured onto the rocks of money-wasting pointlessness by foolishly succumbing to the sirens of a stupidly overhyped tech fashion that's a solution in search of a problem.

For an industry that's meant to be analytical and have a keen insight into productive uses of new ideas, it has an overabundance of people who do little more than act like youngsters chasing after the latest hip new thing, encouraged of course by too many influential "thought leaders" keen to jump on any opportunity to profit from the silliness. If only all this noise could be ignored, and more attention paid to things that have proven themselves in practice, we'd all be better off in the end.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: This was billed as a modern way to run an exchange, instead of an old-fashioned central platform

Given the premise: The Exchange hoped to allow market participants to run their own nodes of a blockchain that would record their transactions, before rippling out over the blockchain so that all other stakeholders would also have a record of the transaction.”

It should have been obvious from the outset blockchain wasn’t an appropriate technology.

Basic maths says a block chain solution would add significant transaction overhead and latency compared to the current system, plus given the number of transactions a significant storage overhead on all other stakeholders.

Interestingly, from what has been written about blockchain logs, I suspect “other stakeholders” would develop tools to analysis the blockchain metadata to better understand their competition and trade accordingly.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: This was billed as a modern way to run an exchange, instead of an old-fashioned central platform

A big advantage is that it puts "off market" transactions "on market". So it's not all "low latency". And by distributing the market and the record, it makes both the market and the record more robust.

But actually, latency is a plus for market operators like the ASX. Low-latency trading is where the money is, but it destroys the value of the marketplace, so there has to be the balance. Hence the other markets with guaranteed latency. (Or attempted guarantee)

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

--it makes both the market and the record more robust.--

How?

2. Filippo Silver badge

Agree. A lot of people should get in their heads that "it's modern" is not, by itself, a motivation to make a technical choice.

3. LybsterRoy Silver badge

--For an industry that's meant to be analytical and have a keen insight into productive uses of new ideas--

Never observed the follow the herd mentality of the "masters of the universe" (ie stockbrokers etc) then.

4. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Also, I don't think the ASX appreciated something fundamental: in the best possible outcome (i.e. it actually worked), it would have made the ASX redundant.

What were they actually trying to achieve? For example, did they want people to make faster local trades? Then set up little outreach branches of the ASX, have them broker local trades, and send them back to a central ledger for permanent notarisation.

7. imanidiot Silver badge

Blockchain

The solution forever in search of a problem it can actually solve without causing even bigger problems.

8. lotus49

Snake Oil

I am the CISO of a large UK company and I've been interested in crypto for decades. Earlier in my career, PKI was the "next big thing" and I narrowly avoided nailing my career colours to that mast. It quickly became apparent that clever and interesting are not the same as practical and useful. It never lived up to the wild claims of some crypto enthusiasts.

Decades later, along came blockchain. Again it was clever and interesting and again, it was not practical or useful. Numerous vendors tried to persuade me that we needed blockchain this, that or the other. Working in cybersecurity you develop a good nose for snake oil and wildly optimistic claims from vendors. It was immediately clear to me that blockchain is largely snake oil. Yes, it works but its usefulness is limited to some quite narrow situations.

ASX has finally come to its senses. I hope whichever idiot kicked this off isn't still working (either at ASX or anywhere else).

1. Plest Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Snake Oil

35 years in IT and we're still using SFTP or file copy utils, the stores might be filesystems or they might objects on cloud stores, it's the same stuff I was coding 35 years ago when i started my career! Nothing changes, lots of interesting ideas have come and gone ( anyone still using webdav?! ) and we're still doing the same stuff.

Let's all sing the mantra, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

9. breakfast Silver badge
    Boffin

The simple approach

There's a pretty simple approach to a novel technology like this, and a project of this type, which is to invest a little bit of cash into putting a small dev team onto building a working prototype and testing how viable it is. Organisations seem oddly reluctant to take this kind of experimental approach even when the alternative is a huge, overhyped, mess like we see here.

It won't satisfy the true believers, but "we tried it and it didn't work" is a pretty good answer to "why aren't you using technology X?"

"We have to have something to announce" is an approach that does not seem well correlated to success in any field I have seen it applied.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: The simple approach

Blockchain looks like it might be one of those things that's easy on a toy scale, and exponentially more difficult as it scales up. Here at $bigcorp it's often the case the prototype works (more or less), passes UAT (or close enough given the schedule overrun). When they flip the switch on production it instantly falls over. That's when they realize the same resources that served a few testers cannot serve even hundreds of simultaneous actual keyboarders, when in fact there should be a thousand. Different novel, same old plot.

10. JimmyPage Silver badge

Blockchain, Brexit ... what is it with the letter "B"

for things which are ridiculously overhyped and were never going to work ?

I'll pay £ to anyone who manages to get Farage or one of his dancing bears to go on the record as saying that what we need to solve Brexit is blockchain.

11. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Put a CAP on it

As was first mentioned here about 8 months ago, blockchain is about a ledger, which is a type of log, which trivially and reversibly transforms into a database, to which the CAP theorem applies.

Since every form of usable blockchain requires CP, A is flying in the wind.

Choose your potential projects accordingly.

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Re: Put a CAP on it

Thanks, learned something today

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Great news

The ASX should leave well alone.

13. djnapkin

I used to work in a firm that runs back-end processing connecting to the current ASX system, and it is well designed and engineered. Not sure what the goal was in this redesign.

Hey, the ASX only had to write off $250 million of investment, and as for another estimated $100 million spent by participants building to this scrapped model, well ...

All seems rather deja vu. Was working in a London software firm in the 90s when the Bank of England scrapped its stock exchange project, I think we lost a million quid on that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like