back to article Baidu boss says good luck talking AI to Beijing if you don't understand censorship

Chinese web and AI giant Baidu has suggested its long experience of working with local regulators means it, unlike others, is ideally positioned to bring artificial intelligence services to the Middle Kingdom. Speaking on the conglomerate's Q1 earnings call, CEO and co-founder Robin Li told investors the recently-released …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Wasn't there a film about an AI which couldn't get its head around being lied to and went a bit loopy?

In this case with LLMs, they just as easily switch between truth and nonsense and have no concept of either, so how would a LLM be able to defend the party line?

1. Catkin Silver badge

Re: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

HAL went insane because he was ordered to, in general, report information with complete accuracy and, for that mission, withhold the true purpose. Logically, a dead crew can never find out the mission purpose and can't be lied to either.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

"how would a LLM be able to defend the party line?"

The clue is in the article.

"the principles of content review or generative AI are quite similar to those applied to search"

Apply the same post-processing filter to LLM output as they currently use for search output.

2. Whitter
    Devil

"Does not hallucinate"

Perhaps more likely "Hallucinates in the approved manner"

3. martinusher Silver badge

Ernie?

Interesting name. Surely no associating with mid-20th century hardware for picking Premium Bond winners?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like