back to article An important system on project [REDACTED] was all [REDACTED] up

Welcome once again to the horrors of Monday, dear reader. But fear not – The Register is here to cushion the blow of the working week's resumption with a instalment of Who, Me?, our reader-contributed stories of tech gone awry. This week meet a reader we'll Regomize as "Red" – short for [REDACTED]. A decade or so back (we can' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security not

Red/black network communications was controlled by a secure router. Only a limited set of commands for configuration, only a limited number of protocols allowed through (and could be tightened by command) and even such things as 'data diodes'. The UI was as tight as tight and would explain at length why it would not allow you to do what you were trying to do, and if possible, how you might achieve it by another method.

Supplier of said router was taken over by a VC group and new manglement brought in.

The new router that would be supplied in place of the super secure one came from a different section of the company, located on the same physical site where manglement presided. i.e. they had the ear!

New router was Linux based, requiring root access to the command line to manually modify text configuration files.

Supplier wondered why the [security conscious] customers left for a competitor. Plus all the engineers responsible for supporting the super secure router would have nothing to do with the new system and left.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Go

Re: Security not

"Supplier of said router was taken over by a VC"

Were you working there? If not -> name and shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fairly sure it is the same Aerospace and Defense board manufacturer who converted all the equipment in Nitrogen storage for long term support of 30 year contracts into 2" squares (think dongles and Windows 3.1 PCs, to more modern. Chips were in another store.) And then converted the room into an Executive Office, at about the same time as the Router debarkle!

Many of us commentards are ex-employees of said company, both in the US and over the pond, but I certainly wouldn't to go on record giving the name.

I believe all of the customers who needed to know about the router change found out very quickly from a TLA.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The same conglomerate made PLC's and other controllers in a different division - this is prior to the Venture Capitalists buying the OP's area a decade or more ago. Their Achilles Heel was that at least a decade after they should have been baking it into their development processes, they didn't know anything about Penetration Testing.

[See what I did there with Achilles?]

Large organisations think that Engineers do not talk to each other, whereas we will often help each other, even across divisions. (That's how I know these stories are from the same organisation.) It's just a shame that it's only management and sales get to go to the networking events, otherwise experience could be shared much more.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Trollface

Crashed alien UFO's use Windows 95? You heard it here first folks.

1. hayzoos

Why do you think they crashed?

2. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Angel

it was not already in "Independence Day" ?

2. Spanners Silver badge
      Big Brother

taken over by a VC group

If this is a Vietnam era recollection, this would not be very secure!

3. Electric Panda

Sounds like the usual mess of people who think that "security" is a case of locking something down so hard that it barely works.

Firstly, that's just lazy. Security is supposed to be a supporter and an enabler, so you design the policy fine-grained for the task at hand and those who need to use the system. Simply blocking everything is dumb.

Secondly, it can force people into desperate unapproved workarounds just to do their job. That circumvents all of your "hard work" and arguably just makes things worse.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Yeah, something as simple as the "You must change password every x weeks and no repeats" can create havoc. Especially if a reset has to be done by a named person or an IT dept.

As when someone comes back from their holidays and needs to get working,. Or best of all, when school staff get in at 7:30 or 8AM after a school holiday, on an INSET day especially, and everyone needs to get their machine up and running immediately (else why get in early). Every single password has expired and IT don't start work until 9:00 ( read 9:30 by the time they answer the phones). At which moment every teacher and TA in every single school all want to bring back corporal, or even capital, punishment, just for IT staff.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Facepalm

If you have work starting at 07:30, and not IT support before 09:00, then it is management that needs to be quartered, not IT (and add the bean-counters just to ensure you don't forget any culprit)

2. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

"To add to the fun, the access control software demanded ten percent of the drive be free in order for it to create its temp files – which is madness."

Madness that Microsoft copied for Exchange? Hit a fault where incoming emails were bouncing, turns out if you have less then 10% free space on the boot drive, some versions of Exchange refuses to accept incoming emails, regardless of how much space is free on the drive/partition where Exchange itself is installed.

1. Terje

Reminds me of one of the first versions of internet explorer for solaris (yes there was such a thing) that could only set the cache in % disk space and minimum of 1% which on a quota based unix system was not such a good idea when 1% was way more disk then you had quota for... It was promptly banned...

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

I remember that. IE 4 for Unix I believe it was branded.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Outlook had an interesting feature that when the PST file filled a drive, or reached a maximum (2gb?) size it managed to corrupt itself.

1. BenDwire Silver badge

It was 2GB, and we hit that limit on one of the Sales computers. Of course no emails could be deleted for 'traceability' reasons, so a migration to Thunderbird became our only affordable option. That has worked fine ever since.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Facepalm

I have seen some PST's well in excess of that 2Gb, sometimes they worked on copying across to replacement devices, sometimes they didn't & the only option was to tell the client to clean out or create supplimentary PST's to spread the load.

There's 2 versions of the pst file. The early version (limit 2Gb) and the later versions that can go larger.

A couple of versions of outlook would ask which format you wanted if you manually made a new PST.

This is how you end up with 50GB psts, and really want to slap the person who's storing that much email in one file.

3. Electric Panda

So if the boot device was 1TB, Exchange would start bouncing messages if you had "only" 100GB left on there?

Wow.

Yes. The more common size at the time though would be 100/150GB to boot. The server I saw this on a lot with a client had 100GB to boot, so if it dipped under 10GB you got the refusal to accept messages. At which point you nuked the IIS logs, the CBS old logs, and the temp files, and normally end up around 35GB free.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

To add to the fun exchange 2013 (yes I know it is now a month out of support) logs a cryptic error message in the windows event log, so you have to deduce this is the problem. In my.case the lack of spare disk (for exchange) was caused by another VM faulting and consuming the spare physical disk (dumps and log files…) the exchange virtual disks were mapped to…

3. Caver_Dave Silver badge
    Boffin

Support of such systems was a nightmare

[Site] your board is doing something strange

[Me] can you swap it for another board?

[Site] it's only coming out of the bunker in 2" squares

[Me] can you tell me what it is doing strange?

[Site] no!

[Me] can you give me a clue?

[Site] NO!!!

[Me] if I test my system doing A might it show the issue?

[Site] no

(I had a long list of companies bidding for contracts, and those who won it (if it had got to that stage and was announced), so I did have a bit of an idea about what the customer might be trying to do.)

[Me] if I test my system doing H might it show the issue?

[Site] partially

[Me] if I test my system doing H and M might it show the issue?

[Site] maybe

Add to this, [Site] is in a different time zone, so I have done a day at work, I have been contacted at home just before my bed time and this is now 4 a.m. Code is something approaching 6 million lines with approaching 90 concurrent (and to some extent interacting) threads if all the options are in use.

[Site Manager] this is costing us 1 million an hour when will you have it fixed?

[Me] did you trial this before today?

[Site Manager] do you think I'm "£$%^ (= no, of course we did not)

How I loved working on those issues!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Support of such systems was a nightmare

I had this once when [Site Manager] was "Rear Admiral in charge of Pacific Fleet".

Squeaky bum time!

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: Support of such systems was a nightmare

Sounds to me like on-site (Hawaii) support is what's required here!

// no aloha shirt icon?

4. b0llchit Silver badge
    Boffin

Not exactly what you'd call a permanent solution,...

There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.

1. Phil E Succour
      1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Is there a topic Randal hasn't got an appropriate cartoon for?

1. stiine Silver badge
          1. C R Mudgeon Bronze badge

Give him time. He'll get to it.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Me: Hey Bob, what does this server do?

Bob: I'm not so sure, was a project Mike was working on before they canned him.

Me: Mike's been gone for 3 years!

Bob: No bruh, Mike's been gone 5 years, you must be getting old...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

This is just temporary..... unless it works

3. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Except for a temporary tax hike.

5. DougMac

Security Systems look ancient when you install them out of the box, let alone how long they keep them running.

The one that controls my floor has a software interface looks like it was written in TurboPascal, and I know it was installed 25 years ago...

I'm shocked the drive hasn't fried itself yet.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You'd be happier if it updated itself to whatever the latest fashion was?

How do I cancel the fire alarm?

It used to be finger pinch the hamburger menu for 3seconds, now you swipe anticlockwise on the middle third of the screen

1. stiine Silver badge

Didnt that (counterclockwise wipe) just reset the clock to a time before the alarm was triggered?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Coat

What Is This Install You Speak Of?

Every fule knows, you don't install them, they are eventually found down in the cellar (When they finally fail), with a flashlight, avoiding the missing stairs, in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard’.

Then you tiptoe away very carefully (If still working, if not find some other idiot to take on the task of fixing it).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, this suspend the alarm for 3.1415923 hours, you were thinking of the anti-counterclockwise swipe in the bottom 3rd corner on the left...

6. ITMA Silver badge
    Devil

[REDACTED} Phooyee!

There is a great scene in the film "Hidden Figures" (the story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program) about dealing with [REDACTED].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJWtAMnAlA

The answer - hold it up to the light.

The security "fix" to prevent this.... Use darker ink!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: [REDACTED} Phooyee!

In my opinion in many ways a truly spectacular film. Worth watching, also because it shows the lunacy of the racism in those days (something that we sadly still seem to have a problem with, and not just in the US).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I was at an interview at an access control system company, the interviewer told me about a problem at a military base that had a problem with their system. Their solution was to blow the bloody doors off!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Mushroom

So longs it was only the bloody doors. You know the military like their big(ger) bangs :-)

2. VerySlowData
      Mushroom

The Italian Job

Shades of Micheal Caine...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The Italian Job

He wasn't wearing any?

No, wait..

:)

2. Contrex

Is that an Irish relative of the actor Michael Caine?

1. Contrex

Or Steve Coogan/Rob Brydon?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like