back to article Apple finally pro giving Pro iPads these Pro apps

Apple has finally seen fit to bring Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to its iPad range. In a surprise announcement a month ahead of the iGiant's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC), Apple announced it was bringing those two Pro apps to its tablets, eight years and six generations after it launched the iPad Pro. Both of the …

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

The only problem is that Final Cut Pro became Final Cut Amateur a few years ago, as most of the "pro" features mysteriously vanished.

It's not been worth $300 for years.

That said, it probably is worth $4.99 for a month - as long as you can buy just one month at a time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...Final Cut Pro became Final Cut Amateur..."

That was my first thought in part since Apple had already made FCP "mobile" ready and it's been waiting for this transition for many years. But, does this mobile version have even less features?

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'll

stick to DaVinci Resolve. Definitely pro – used to sell for something like $100K now free for the sort of people who might be thinking of forking out $4.99 a month for a video editor.

2. weirdbeardmt

Media

Unless you’re using the iPad as the camera, or sync via iCloud, how are they expecting users to get the required media/assets on to the device? Video professionals will have a workflow that starts with import and organisation of assets, which will typically involve hard drives attached to a … Mac.

IOW what does the iPad version give over the desktop version that justifies the extra effort of then eg attaching a hard drive?

Unless this really is meant for hacking together quick vids… which doesn’t sound all that ‘Pro’.

Also wonder how they will treat those who already have the full desktop version (and in future vice versa) but the answer to that seems pretty obvious.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Media

You can buy an iPad Pro with as much as 2 TB, which obviously isn't nearly enough to edit feature films but it is plenty for people doing say 30 second ad spots, music videos, or other short subjects.

This isn't intended to replace all uses of a Mac/PC, just some of them. Even if you are working on a longer project that is way bigger than 2 TB, if you loaded in a short segment you could work on that while you're on a train or sitting in the airport or somewhere else that you maybe don't want to drag out the 16" laptop that contains the entire thing.

You might as well say "why are these products supported on a laptop, if you are doing <insert whatever you consider 'real work' here> you need a beefy desktop machine with an attached storage array!" Apple is not claiming this will replace all uses of a Macbook Pro or Mac Pro with a tablet, so stop whining that it can't.

1. The Sprocket

Yes—fine for short subjects that may also be now and again frequency. Not sure how happy I'd be paying a monthly subscription for what could end up being 'occasional use'. As a professional career Designer, I dumped Adobe for Affinity (Serif) for that very reason (although none of it is being used on my iPad Pro). Super happy I did too!

1. DS999 Silver badge

Not sure how happy I'd be paying a monthly subscription for what could end up being 'occasional use'

It sounds like you do bigger projects, but I have to imagine there are plenty of people doing this work who never work on films or other large projects. Plus people who have to do this sort of thing on the side as part of their real job, like a wedding photographer/videographer who might need to edit short snippets of video like walking down the aisle, saying 'I do', first dance etc. into an "our special day" video like the one produced by the person who did my friends' recent wedding.

Anyway it is only $50/year, so if you only use it a few times a year it might still be worth it to some.

3. springsmarty

What does Pro mean to you?

I should probably not be surprised that online personalities who edit media constantly equate “Pro” with “media editing.” It is as if they honestly believe that media editors are the only professionals using computing hardware.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: What does Pro mean to you?

Maybe it's short for Pron. "Final Cut Pro", wink wink, nudge nudge.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like