back to article Irony alert: Major airport to be interrupted for two hours to replace UPS

The replacement of an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) at the air traffic management center in a major airport in the Philippines will result in the entire country's airspace being shut down for two hours on May 17. The corrective action at Ninoy Aquino International Airport was originally scheduled to suspend operations for …

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Gatport Airwick - Drones

The pair made a side trip to meet with Global Infrastructure Partners – the company behind Gatwick Airport's exceptional infrastructure

Exceptional Infrastructure - apart from may be detecting drones in the vicinity

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/15/ex_drone_vp_gatwick_hysteria_comments/

https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/15/gatwick_drone_couple_payout/

Gatport Airwick - As referred to by BBC Radio 2 DJ Ray Moore (RIP) when reading travel news on his early morning show

2. Mishak Silver badge

What could possibly go wrong?

Do they have a "fall back" strategy in place?

1. RM Myers
      Coat

Re: Do they have a "fall back" strategy in place?

They don't have time. This is a crash project.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

BUPS fun

Do not get me started on how many places I've been where the BUPS has NEVER checked until I did so.

Of course they ALL needed to be replaced. And of course, there was no budget for it.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: BUPS fun

Back Up Management Power Service (BUMPS)???

4. hayzoos

Y2K memories

I am reminded of my company's final Y2K meeting. All manner of suggestions were being made as to how to approach the "event". One in particular was a shutdown everything just in case all hell broke loose, then restart after everything blew over. I played devil's advocate and asked how many of the machines had ever been shut down, would they properly restart? That idea was scrapped, but it did trigger a to do list item to verify that in the event an unplanned shutdown occurred, that machines could reliably restart.

5. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

the company behind Gatwick Airport's exceptional infrastructure

Asking without snark: is that ElReg sarcasm or is Gatwick indeed considered a model of modern airport and ATC infrastructure?

If so, why? Anybody able to provide info?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: the company behind Gatwick Airport's exceptional infrastructure

It's still there, seems to be all you can ask of it

6. PeterM42
    Trollface

Oh! The IRONY!

Close down to replace a UPS?!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like