back to article Russia tops national leagues in open source downloads

Russia tops the global table for downloads of open source software over the last quarter, according to a survey tracking around 2,000 FOSS projects. Research by open source monitoring organization Scarf showed the biggest proliferation of downloads took place in the pariah state, where they grew 320 percent. Russia, which was …

1. alain williams Silver badge

Little point in restricting downloads to Russia

Someone would just set up distribution servers (ie mirrors) within Russia; so a minor inconvenience at most.

1. jgarbo

Re: Little point in restricting downloads to Russia

Pariah state? NO, the US is a Fascist state.

2. 3arn0wl

As much as I loathe what Russia is doing

This is the moment to put beyond all doubt, the erroneous idea that somehow open source software isn't up to the job.

It's also pleasing to read that the take up of open source software elsewhere continues to rise.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: As much as I loathe what Russia is doing

It's a bit of a mixed blessing. While indeed many managers have grown up with open source and have no fear of it being used, there's still the potential maintenance gap. But, perhaps an even bigger threat: SaaS is eating everyones's lunch and it seems that, once companies get on "the cloud" they have fewer options to get off. So, while a few researchers may indeed be running open source stacks, the company is increasingly dependent upon a decreasing number of providers.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
        Windows

"All I'm hearing is that startups using open source on prem are going to eat cloud-based dinosaurs alive" - some vulture capitalist somewhere, probably.

*sigh*. Where's the world weary cynicism icon? This'll have to do ->

2. jgarbo

Yes, killing Nazis is bad form. Support the Fascists.

3. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
    Black Helicopters

Pariah State?

"the biggest proliferation of downloads took place in the pariah state"

87% of the world refuses to enforce sanctions to Russia, and are still trading with them.

EU is buying Russian oil ( via India ) - spending more money.

Only wishful thinking of USA/UK that sanctions are working.

Oh, Russian economy and inflation numbers are better than USA.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Pariah State?

>Oh, Russian economy and inflation numbers are better than USA.

Not to mention that everyone in the UK has been told to accept the fact they're a lot poorer now than they were (kind of obvious....). There's nothing like taking a few billion out of an economy (plus spending a boat load on 'tradition') to underscore just what the lords and masters think of the plebs.

(....and if you think this is something new a bit of reading of old literature -- not stuff like "Das Kapital" but everyday stores from Dickens, de Querx and many others.....its always been like this.....)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Russian economy and inflation numbers are better than USA.

That's pretty easy if you don't allow trade.

The inflation in YAANC bucks is 0% because nobody trades in YAANC bucks and I set the official value. In fact since I set the official exchange rate at $1M USD to 1 YAANC buck my GDP is doing very well

1. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
          Black Helicopters

Russia is trading witth everyone ( also with the sanctioners, but indirectly )

Your theory is invalid.

But they aren't paying in Rubles

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
            Mushroom

Re: Russia is trading witth everyone

They sort of have form with that.

When the USSR fell, I went in with some other brits to open a sales office. We found hundreds of US made computers waiting for spare parts.

They will get whatever they need by hook or by crook.

That said, some of that hardware will be used by Putin for his war effort (drones and missiles) which will be returned with vengeance.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

90% of statistics are made up.

3. Casca Silver badge

You really are a russian lapdog...

4. martinusher Silver badge

We keep doing Russians favors

One of the first actions after the "SMO" started was US fast food corporations pulling their wares out of Russia. Common sense -- and nutritionists -- would suggest that the way to undermine Russia would be to systematically cut prices there, get 'em all on a McDiet. Taking Microsoft and other proprietary software out of Russia does them a favor as well since Windows has always been a fertile ground for malware. (Its improved a whole lot with 'the latest' but as we all know the actual commercial upgrade cycle is always years behind 'the latest'.)

So we keep doing them these favors. It suggests that we've got a hubris problem.

Re: We keep doing Russians favors

So the best plan would have been to get SAP deeply embedded in the Russian military-industrial complex and then NOT impose sanctions?

1. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

Somewhat tangentially Oracle have (had?) a substantial part of their R&D in St Petersburg. Although my experience of submitting bug reports to Oracle, even with suggested fixes for some where the source is available, was that a developer in that city would close the ticket since there's no money for Larry in fixing bugs...

2. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

Russia doesn't need the help of fast food restaurants to destroy the health of its population. The drinking problem in Russia is so severe that it's the primary cause of Russian's appalling life expectancy.

>it's the primary cause of Russian's appalling life expectancy.

Cue Putin, 'I have a cunning plan'

1. Sanguma

'So cunning you could put a weasel on it and call it a tail!' queue in canned laughter ...

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

¿Que?, or perhaps, I mean Cue!

I fear the words in your quotation are not quite queued up in the right order, cueing up incomprehension, rather than quixotic jocularity.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's uploads

We should worry about :-/

6. bofh1961

General Motors is a non-tech company?

As in, anything outside of the IT sector is non-tech?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: General Motors is a non-tech company?

I think they mean that they categorize businesses by the primary product they're known for. Software and computers are one category, cars are another. Even though both have computers involved in the products, they're still distinct types of businesses.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: General Motors is a non-tech company?

Another way of looking at it ... In the early days, large companies rolled their own IT ... Boeing's internal network was larger than the fledgling "Internet" until roughly 1986; IBM's internal network was larger until roughly 1989. Ford's internal network was larger until roughly 1991, GMs roughly 1992.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FOSS projects are doing the right thing

For example, Red Hat implemented a rule of “don’t ask, don’t tell” for nationality, country of origin and country of residence to ensure that anyone can contribute to and use Fedora. This change came after the project banned someone for being from Iran, when it could have avoided doing so if they hadn’t known their nationality in the first place.

Big Tech could and should implement similar measures, perhaps not for paid developers, but at least for users. They could do this by opting to use a range of neutral third party payment processors, by refusing to implement regional pricing and by selling one worldwide SKU of their products which can be used anywhere. This would have the beneficial effect of preventing dictatorial regimes from implementing onerous censorship requirements while also preventing economic sanctions from crippling the functioning of already-purchased products and services.

Alas, we can only wish!

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: FOSS projects are doing the right thing

That would be interpreted by the US Treasury Department as attempted sanctions busting and they'd start arresting, jailing and fining people. (It doesn't matter that the people involved have nothing to do with the US, note.)

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Windows are for falling out of

in Russia.

That's why people don't want to open them for work.

Ok, I'll get me coat

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like