back to article Google Cloud slips over in Europe amid water leak, fire

Google Cloud stopped operating in Paris early on Wednesday morning local time due to "water intrusion," said the off-prem biz, which a day earlier reported profitability for the first time. Coincidentally, the Paris metro area experienced light rain today. Google declined to clarify whether the "water intrusion" was related to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Resilience?

Isn't one of the cloudy selling points that your facilities will enjoy higher levels of resilience?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Resilience?

Reading my GMail from Occitanie as we speak... Must be sorta resilient?

2. The Basis of everything is...

Not quite.

You pay for cloudy services in a selected zone or region, depending on the service

If you want more resilience, you pay for cloudy services in multiple zones and regions, at a multiple of the cost.

And if a service goes pop, you'll get a a few dollars back for that particular service. If everything else is up but not actually usable you'll still be paying full price for that.

Which I'm sure is great consolation if you've just lost hundreds of dollars in lost business, disruption etc.

3. Androgynous Cow Herd

Absolutely.

If you divide all the customers Google has by the number of customers that were actually impacted, it is a higher level of resiliency than you can possibly get out of a single tenant on prem data center.

That's how the cloud gets all those "9s" of availability while sometimes being as stable as an epileptic rollerblader in a discotheque.

4. OnlyMee

Depends on the point of comparison. Compared to a professional colocation site, there isn't much difference. Compared to one of these onsite office racks hosted in old cleaning closed, I would claim you get more resilience.

Now one of the sales promises of the cloud is this global resilience, but honestly, most people don't end up doing it because 1. duplicating clusters across many locations is hard 2. It costs money.

2. -tim
    Facepalm

So someone else forgot the first rule of data centers

Water will get into your data center. If there isn't a plan to get rid of it, it will do damage and Murphy's laws says the water will find the place to do the most damage.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
    Facepalm

Cloud? Water?

Who would have thought there was a connection?

4. Korev Silver badge
    Flame

So OVH in Strasboug had a "Thermal Event" and now the Google datacentre in Paris too. I think the conclusion is don't run your DCs in France or else they'll go up in flames...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the plus side, you will at least not be surprised by their reaction:

A shrug.

:)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like