back to article SentinelOne sticks generative AI into its stuff because 2023 gotta 2023

SentinelOne is the latest to add machine-learning features to its IT security software. At this week's RSA Conference, the cybersecurity business unveiled a threat-hunting platform that is layered with generative AI features that includes a large-language model (LLM) natural language interface and embedded decision-making …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

2023 tech for 2005 performance

How about AI to make their stupid scanner not intercept the same files in the same app infinitely? It makes IDEs, compilers, and data indexing crawl.

I ran a performance test and it's comparable to losing 15 to 20 years of performance in developer apps. I'm not sure how the bean counters justify the waste of hardware and productivity. There are other options.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: 2023 tech for 2005 performance

We have it as I thought it was good but the amount of false fucking positives is fucking annoying. It will only get worse if they stick AI in it.

AI - "How to I make sure I complete the task of protecting this system from Virus threats. Shall I scan for virus' as I should? No, I'll just lock the system down completely then it can never get infected". Ah, specification gaming, its quite funny when you read about it.

And Robert Miles' video on it, is always good

https://youtu.be/nKJlF-olKmg

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Coat

Am I The Only One

Who read the headline & thought of The Space Sentinels?

MAINTENANCE OPERATOR!

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It's a floor wax and a desert topping!

2016: Hey, how about this "blockchain" stuff? Pretty maximally annoyingly overhyped technology, right?

2023: Hold my beer.

4. EDDISON LEWIS

The threat landscape is enhanced which makes it critical to include Generative Artificial Intelligence in the Cybersecurity Operations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like