back to article Google Fi still kicking, gets third rebrand in less than a decade

Google might have a history of killing useful products, but its Fi mobile service has survived seven years and, as of today, a third rebranding. Beginning life in 2015 as Project Fi, then Google Fi, and now Google Fi Wireless, Google also announced some new services and features for its mobile virtual network (which operates …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"How is Fi still in the fight?"

The author should be a little more confident :)

All the sweet, sweet, data is all the reason that would ever need. I also love how despite showing clear evidence they were billing mobile data rates while delivering the data over over back-haul they built of someone else's WiFi network, the state left it to a private citizen to plead in civil court.

I'd prefer it if they had gone the wire fraud route, and it's not like Google would collapse overnight just because the case went to trial. Let a jury decide if they were being evil or not.

2. Orv Silver badge

I know a couple people who have this and are happy with it. I looked into it, but network switching isn't supported on my phone, so for me it would just be T-Mobile with extra steps.

3. NapTime ForTruth

I've had Google Fi service since 2016 (then Project Fi), following a few years of ludicrous Verizon hell. Fi just works - in the best sense of that phrase. It is clean, retail Android plus the Fi account app, no forced and uninstallable duplicate carrier-specific apps. I get phone service pretty much anywhere there's a tower, and my phone preferentially chooses my approved WiFi sources over cellular bandwidth. And their customer support is typically both knowledgeable and helpful.

If I buy my phone through Fi, I generally get a discount.

For all intents and purposes it is invisible but for the basic function of providing phone service. And it's cheap!

4. cookieMonster Silver badge
    WTF?

Hover-over?

“…..Google said, adding in a hover-over footnote that the plan would begin automatically billing after the end of the trial”

Does that even work on mobile devices ????

I think they are nothing but a bunch of < Insert profanity of choice here >

5. FelixReg
    Thumb Up

If you only use WIFI data, FI is $25 a month

$25 a month is pretty good. The down side? Data is $10 a gig for the first six gig. Zero, thereafter, and throttling way, way thereafter. I've only paid more than about $25 a month when on camping trips, where I use the phone as a hot spot.

Google also has a VOIP phone service. My old house phone gets dial tone from an OBi200 central office that's about 3x3 inches and lays on the floor by my router. The phone is at the number we've had for decades. The monthly price? $00.00.

Don't know whether Google acts on voice call content or "SMS" messages through the house phones, but presume they do.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: If you only use WIFI data, FI is $25 a month

$25/mo with no data and $10 a gig up to six?

I knew mobiles were expensive in the 'states, but by European standards that's pretty awful. There are MVNOs in the UK which offer £5/mo with no data (unlimited calls & texts), a contract minimum term of 1 month and £1/GB. In fact here's one for £5/mo with 4GB included (albeit only for 12 months, after which it reverts to £6/mo for 4GB). Wikipedia adds that Google Fi group plans cost an additional $15 per user - I have a couple of phones on a group plan which gives a 10% discount to each additional user!

M.

6. Random Q Hacker

Still relevant?

I don't see the point anymore, now that Sprint and T-Mobile are merged. If they also included Verizon service, it would significantly increase their coverage. I would buy *that* premium service.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like