back to article Linux kernel 6.3 on track for debut next week after ‘nice uneventful release cycle’

Version 6.3 of the Linux kernel is on track to debut next week after what emperor penguin Linus Torvalds has described a “nice uneventful release cycle’”. Torvalds used the epithet quoted above in his announcement that release candidate seven for version 6.3 of the kernel is now available for testing. The Finnish FOSS boss’s …

1. jake Silver badge
    Pint

"Mämmi emerges from that process as a dark lump that The Register understands is sweet and a little gritty."

It's the first part of the process for making Kalja, which is a type of small beer ... It's an interesting, very old-school brew, and not for everyone's palate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you like it, it'll taste bitter

2. Bartholomew
    Happy

very normal and boring

Great description of a stable kernel.

3. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Trollface

Who is this guy?

And what did he do with the real Linus?

Given the sub in the article, I was expecting a much more escatological and not nearly as wholesome "advice" on what to eat.

4. Zolko Silver badge
    Linux

Watching paint dry

Please wake me up when general userland drivers become available. Or when Linux becomes hard realtime. Or when Linux provides its own init system. Or when Linus swears again.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Watching paint dry

"Please wake me up when general userland drivers become available."

Too dangerous for no real benefit.

"Or when Linux becomes hard realtime."

Wrong horse for that course.

"Or when Linux provides its own init system."

The kernel already has it's own init system. After it runs, it passes control to init (if you are sane) or systemd (if you are not). The init receives the PID of 1 ... but computers count from 0. Did you ever stop to wonder what process had PID 0, and how it starts?

"Or when Linus swears again."

Daily, I'm sure ... he just keeps it out of publicly available print so the namby-pambys and hand-wringing curtain-twitchers have less to bitch about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like