back to article April Patch Tuesday: Ransomware gangs already exploiting this Windows bug

Microsoft patched 97 security flaws today for April's Patch Tuesday including one that has already been found and exploited by miscreants attempting to deploy Nokoyawa ransomware. Redmond deemed seven of the now-patched vulnerabilities "critical" and the rest merely "important." Microsoft, as usual, didn't disclose the extent …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Patch Tuesday when we are once again reminded that Micros~1 products have more holes than a Swiss cheese.

A/C because I have to work with this crap.

1. BOFH in Training

Although am not handling any Windows based devices professionally right now, I probably will have a brief look at the CVEs to make sure nothing in my home is affected. Or needs to be patched.

Don't worry, most IT professionals should at least an idea of wtf is coming out from MS patch Tuesdays. So you are not alone ;)

1. MrDamage Silver badge

>> Don't worry, most IT professionals should at least an idea of wtf is coming out from MS patch Tuesdays. So you are not alone ;)

We do know what's coming out every patch Tuesday. Broken print queues.....again.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
          Facepalm

And missing desktop icons

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That just happens to be the blank Google Chrome icon on the start menu, and Microsoft say they don't play games.

On the lamentable 'plus side' after only 5 years, the patch to clear up the Firefox high CPU usage, does seem to be making a noticeable difference, but yesterday was a cold day, after installing the patch, we'll see.

Maybe, next in line is the high CPU from the crappy Microsoft Photo App, and if you reading Microsoft, if a user clicks 'X' on the Microsoft ClipChamp advert, remove it for good. Don't keep displaying it every time a user opens Photos - Talkie Toaster style, it's bloody annoying.

2. Snake Silver badge

RE: "more holes than Swiss cheese"

When other pieces of software share the same size, market penetration AND legacy support complexity of Windows, let me know how well their systems hold up under constant attack.

It's easy to cheerlead the supposed-security of more modern software when you don't have decades of fluff to retain support for; I, for one, am [still] using a 24 year-old [industry specific] program to process all transactions.

1. original_rwg

Re: RE: "more holes than Swiss cheese"

Er, F.Y.I. I didn't make any comparison with the supposed security of any other software or cheer lead for it. Yeah, sure I get that Micros~1 have a dominant market position and have lots of "legacy fluff" to support so it's their bed but most of us have to sleep in it.

More holes than a Swiss cheese is IMHO an appropriate description when amongst this months 97 CVE's that have been addressed, there are 12 fixes just for print drivers - 12 FFS!

Down vote now... D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. :)

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: RE: "more holes than Swiss cheese"

Still, I notice how...quiet...the replies are to today's story about Linux kernel's Spectre problems.

Some double standard? Nah...

2. Kev99 Silver badge

But, but...windows 11 is the most secure mictosoft OS ever. Oy, gevalt. Himl helf aundz ale.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like