back to article Microsoft tells admins to autoreview your Autopatch alerts or autolose the service

Microsoft is updating a service introduced last year that shifts the responsibility of patching Windows devices from IT admins to the vendor itself. Redmond in April 2022 unveiled Windows Autopatch to automate updates to endpoints, but still giving administrators controls to adapt or make changes as needed. When it was first …

1. steamnut

more control?

This initially sounds like a good idea. But, with Microsoft now in control, what could possibly go wrong? Lot's of Register stories will result from this I am sure.

2. KarMann Silver badge
    Flame

Tuesday?

…Microsoft said that "for organizations who select this option, the second Tuesday of every month will be 'just another Tuesday.'"

For you, the day Microsoft graced your village was the most important day of your month. But for me, it was Tuesday.
    Paraphrased from the otherwise-forgettable Street Fighter movie.

1. DownUndaRob

Re: Tuesday?

Except where it is Wednesday by the time Tuesday arrives in MSLand.

2. 43300 Silver badge

Re: Tuesday?

So Bork Wednesday will arrive automatically, without action needed on Patch Tuesday. Well, that's something to look forward to isn't it?

3. heyrick Silver badge

So...

...are they willing to guarantee, with monetary penalties to back it up, that the Tuesday autopatch won't fuck up printing again or networking or....?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Are you kidding ?

Borkzilla is just putting the onus on you to know whether or not you should patch, aka business as usual.

Borkzilla has never put its money where its mouth is. it only ever puts your money where its mouth is.

4. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

AutoPatch: something like ...

(crontab entry): 17 02 * * * (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade)

But neither one lets you test the patches before they're installed. "Testing, schmesting ... G'wan, idd'l be fiiiiiiine." /s

1. KarMann Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: AutoPatch: something like ...

It'll be funnier if you try something like:

17 02 8-14 * 2 (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade)

to try to get it to run on the second Tuesday as 'expected'.

Hint: It won't. I wish they would just fix that, even if it might break some weird, unholy crontabs that should never have been created that way in the first place.

1. brotherelf

Go on, use systemd-timers instead :-/

(I'm surprised they don't accept RFC5445 "iCalendar" for the events.)

But yeah, the semantics of cron are one of the weird corners of the toolchest, along with the output format of at being invalid input format for at.

2. david 12 Silver badge

Actually, autopatch (which is an enterprise tool), lets you put test machines in the test group, to test the patch before the patch is applied to the machines you've put in the user group.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
        Joke

The “test group”, you mean marketing, don’t you?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Marketing? Nah, the executive suite. They love bleeding edge stuff!

Well, until they have to use it and get all bloody...

5. DownUndaRob
    FAIL

on an unrelated note

And yet still no way to see, at a glance in the Office365 Admin console, when a user's password will expire

6. MachDiamond Silver badge

Automatic fail

Way back just after the KT boundary formed, I used to be brave enough to install 0-day updates. These days I'd like a solid week to go by to check how others have gotten on after applying the updates before I'll subject myself. I don't have the time to be down and I can't stay up all night troubleshooting like I used to. Mostly this is because I'm self-employed and not getting massive amounts of OT I can use to buy the ever increasing amounts of espresso it would take.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge

Re: Automatic fail

Upvoted, I’ve done some crazy shit during the half century or more I’ve been on this planet, but never had the balls to apply a Microsoft patch on the same day it was made available.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

I have to a bleeding edge test group. Interestingly, my boss insisted upon being part of that test group.

I put my own machine in the production test group, if the bleeding edge didn't exsanguinate, we'd then test in the broader production test group. We put those in place after a much too small test group had some ill behaved patches trigger reboots in the middle of the day - including the installation commander during a briefing to his general.

Which is precisely what generated the KT boundary in the first place.

Given that DISA tests updates before releasing them broadly, then organizations test them further in their production network test groups, this should prove an interesting subject of conversation between the US DoD and Microsoft at contract time.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Facepalm

If you are not applying a Microsoft patch on the same day that it is made available does this mean you have to use a printer at work a lot?

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"If you are not applying a Microsoft patch on the same day that it is made available does this mean you have to use a printer at work a lot?"

Not as much these days, but I would like to have that option.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

oblig

You will obey

When you don't

Exterminate, Exterminate

{grandson has been watching old Dr Who episodes that feature Daleks while he gets over Chicken Pox}

In other news, a female colleague joked that 'Patch Tuesday' was the software version of a Period. An event that can muck you up for days, one that cannot be ignored and like a bad kebab, keeps on repeating.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think by now, what with Microsoft's life time of experience in developing software, it was now expert in releasing software that was bug free in the first place so a patch Tuesday was something only inexperienced software development companies did.

Perhaps when they fire the 10% (it is still 10% isn't it?) each year they are firing the wrong 10%.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like