back to article It's official: Ubuntu Cinnamon remix has been voted in

Ubuntu's Technical Board has voted and passed the motion: as of Ubuntu 23.04, Ubuntu Cinnamon will become the ninth official flavor. The youngest member of the Ubuntu family will become official as of the next release: Ubuntu Cinnamon 23.04 will be an authorised option, joining the existing eight others. It's not the only one …

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

It supports Canonical's Snap packaging format ...

But does it need it for anything important? Because if so, that's a great big nooooooooooooooooooope from me.

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

[Author here]

> But does it need it for anything important?

It's an Ubuntu flavour. So it has Snap Firefox, same as all the other Ubuntu flavours.

If you don't want that, you can remove it and install the natively-packaged version. The `deb-get` tool is a very easy way to do this.

1. Install deb-get

2. Remove Firefox snap.

3. Use deb-get to install the native one.

4. Remove each other Snap, replace with natively packaged app.

5. When all snaps are gone, remove snapd.

Job done.

Does that sound too much work? Fair enough: use Mint then.

1. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

Does that sound too much work? Fair enough: use Mint then.

Or Debian if you don't need Mint's bells and whistles. The Cinnamon desktop was a bit poorly packaged when it first appeared as an option in Debian, but is now as polished as the other options.

[Author here]

> Or Debian if you don't need Mint's bells and whistles.

Well, yes, true enough.

It is yet to be seen if Debian 12's inclusion of `non-free` drivers and firmware on the installation media will make it significantly easier to get started.

I suspect it will remain a more challenging option for most non-technical users, TBH. There is nothing wrong with Debian but it's aiming at a different sort of user than Ubuntu and perhaps even more to the point Mint are.

1. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

Debian has had links on their own pages to install media with "non-free" firmware for years, and I've usually found myself needing them - probably because I tend to favour previous generation Macbooks that I can buy second hand, and they inevitably require such firmware. I can only assume that the Debian folk have been tracking the popularity of that semi-official install media and the change in policy for version 12 is a consequence of that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll stick with fedora Cinnamon and carry on using flathub when I need to

I'll stick with fedora Cinnamon and carry on using flathub when I need to

Re: I'll stick with fedora Cinnamon and carry on using flathub when I need to

[Author here]

> I'll stick with fedora Cinnamon and carry on using flathub when I need to

Fair enough. You do whatever works for you.

I am not a big fan of Cinnamon (although it's better than GNOME IMHO). If I wanted the latest and greatest Cinnamon, I'd just run Mint.

1. bofh1961

Re: I'll stick with fedora Cinnamon and carry on using flathub when I need to

For those of us who want both pipewire and Cinnamon, I think Fedora is still the best way to go.

3. Andy Non Silver badge
    Happy

Linux Mint Cinnamon

does everything I need, and has done so for many years, so no need to consider changing.

1. Wyrdness

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon

Same here. Or, at least, until recently. Now I need ARM Linux (work reasons) and Mint sadly doesn't support ARM. So I'm forced to use Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed.

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Childcatcher

edubuntu

Suggestions...

ubuntu-edu-secondary: Maths Geezer says - geogebra, a decent graph plotting program, some kind of skills based flash-card proggy, desktop logo/snap/turtle thing [See Brian Harvey's home page]. Octave and an algebra package such as maxima for the A level Maths people.

A lot of lessons online now in video form with handouts [e.g. https://corbettmaths.com/] so not sure what the USP of edubuntu is these days.

Best of luck

Re: edubuntu

[Author here]

> edubuntu Suggestions...

Interesting. I have no skin in this game just yet -- my daughter is not yet in primary school -- but I encourage you to join the Ubuntu Discourse, if you are not already there, and suggest this to them.

5. TVU Silver badge

"And it looks like educational flavor Edubuntu is returning, too"

That's excellent news and I wish the Eickmeyers all the best with this educational venture.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Not familiar with US school system

>Amy is a 16-year veteran of Early Childhood Education

Does that mean she isn't very good at passing exams ?

1. lamp

Re: Not familiar with US school system

Well , she is actually. She achieved high honours...

7. pPPPP

When I got my latest laptop (a bloody awful Dell XPS13+) I decided to give Ubuntu a shot because they were the only distro seemingly supporting the camera (getting it working in my usual Manjaro seemed too much of a faff). 22.04 with standard Gnome. I mostly liked it although I wasn't a big fan of the Snaps.

Then I stupidly upgraded to 22.10 which made a complete mess of things. Applications failing all over the place. Evolution constantly telling me it could no longer connect to my Gmail accounts. Eventually I flipped and installed Mint with Cinnamon. And I've been really happy with it. The only thing I'm not so keen on is the titlebars as I really prefer the titlebarless look. I tend to run all windows full screen so I have little need for them.

Nemo's pretty decent nowadays. Integrates well with SMB, my Nextcloud instance and all my Google shares (which I rarely use from Nemo TBH).

I might give this version of Ubuntu a shot, but honestly I've had a much better experience with Mint.

8. amacater

Debian Cinnamon works fine.

Debian and Cinnamon is a decent compromise - all the apps (and maintainers behind them) from Debian and a fairly vanilla Cinnamon. And no need for flatpak or snapd unless you want to install them.

As the universal operating system, our priorities are our users and Free software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like