back to article Journalist hurt by exploding USB bomb drive

Police in Ecuador are investigating attacks on media organizations across the country after a journalist was injured by an exploding USB flash drive. In a press conference on Monday, Xavier Chango Llerena, chief of criminal investigations for the National Police of Ecuador, said authorities had found envelopes containing …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Yet another reason

...to never plug in an unknown USB.

20 years on yet many people seem to have not learned this.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Yet another reason

Some companies have a special computer dedicated to handling potentially hostile media. Much like a fax, not everything arrives in the format you'd like. It looks like a blast shield needs to be added to the equipment list.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

USB extender cable. Put socket from that behind the blast shield. Plug suspect USB into it, then plug the other end into the computer at a safe distance. Listen for bang.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How about a mat guarding against static discharges? Could the discharge be enough to trigger the igniter?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Given that the first part of its journey is in an envelope that may be subjected to rough treatment I'd hope not, but OTOH I don't think the criminals who cook up these things would be particularly mindful of ESD protection. It really is an evil idea.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              Mushroom

"It really is an evil idea."

On the other hand, people have clearly STILL not learned to plug in unsolicited devices. Maybe if enough people learn that plugging it in might cause an explosion, they might think twice at plugging in the random USB pendrive "helpfully dropped" in the car park by your local friendly h4xx0rs.

I'd not wish anyone to come to harm, but this is exactly the sort of "security scare" many users need to be made aware of. Of course, even then, the "it won't happen to me", or "it only happens in far off countries" mentality soon kicks in.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge

That was my first thought actually.

2. Bebu Silver badge

"blast shield needs to be added to the equipment list."

Inside a fume cabinet.

I think it could be quite possible to pack an indecent quantity of a truly lethal gas inside a usb stick.

I was under the impression from last century's terrorism that C4/Semtex was pretty much undetectable or at least unsniffable.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Mushroom

I do see potential here for use in a security awareness campaign. It's not that I want to injure, let alone kill somebody. That is, unless they plug in an unknown USB drive.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

So instead of exploding it works like a novelty greetings card which plays a tune on opening?

1. ravenviz Silver badge
          Angel

We had a Cliff Richard greetings card that sang Congratulations when you opened it. Except if you closed it and opened it repeatedly and quickly it just said, “Cun’, Cun’, Cun’, Cun’, Cun’” for as long as you still found it to be funny. Which was quite a long time!

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Joke

to never plug in an unknown USB.

Thanks to the cost of living crisis I now have a small army of subser staff to plug my USB drives in, do all the risky things I want to avoid, who lick my arse when I tell them to. I'm living it up like a "Real Elon". Thanks Brexit.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Stuxnet: the Second Generation

One would think that by now people would NOT stick random USB drives in computers. Apparently this is still not the case.

3. TheMaskedMan Silver badge

Unfortunate for the poor bugger on the wrong end of the bang, of course, but I bet he never plugs in an unknown USB device ever again.

I can think of a few folks who could benefit from learning that.

4. sanmigueelbeer
    Coat

When the provider said, "Here, I have some explosive material you could use" they were not joking.

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
      Flame

Check sources

And now they got burned.

5. that one in the corner Silver badge

Random USB devices can usually be handled safely[1]

and as, of course, journalists are going to get unknown USB sticks from sources unknown and need to access the contents, I'd've hoped that news outlets would provide the necessary basics and training to do so[2].

Sending exploding devices can only be condemned, of course, but hopefully the journalists won't be cowed by such tactics and will just respond by taking obvious extra precautions - a long extension lead and sand bucket for a start.

[1] as you all well know: use a cheap copier machine, preferably one without a complex OS, always have autorun disabled all the time, virus scan after copying to trusted medium but before opening, disable macros in Excel etc; hardly earth-shaking stuff.

[2] ever the optimist, but come on, this should be mandatory basic stuff, like fire drills: it's negligent not to provide it.

1. trindflo Bronze badge

Re: Random USB devices can usually be handled safely[1]

I prefer no hard disk and a bootable DVD for possible software bombs. As for actual explosives, a USB charger at the end of a long extension cord should be a cheap and effective test.

2. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Or:

* create freshly imaged Linux server (or a fresh Linux VM with USB passthrough, if physical proximity isn't an issue)

* mount USB filesystem read-only inside Linux server

* fetch files using sftp/scp (or Samba if you value convenience more than security - but there are perfectly fine Windows sftp/scp clients)

For physical safety, I guess a USB extender with relays to allow remote activation.

1. NXM Silver badge

I'd reckon it had nothing to detect a usb master, just needed power.

So a charger brick would be enough to set it off, no OS required.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"For physical safety, I guess a USB extender with relays to allow remote activation."

Relays? Just don't plug the extender in until after the device is plugged in and placed behind the blast shield. Then plug the extender cable into a power source, or if feeling brave, a computer.

6. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

If you really have to ...

... use a USB extension cable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you really have to ...

USB 3.0 allows up 3 meters without active repeaters. I guess you can do it with a blast shield then.

1. DS999 Silver badge

You can go much longer than 3 meters if you are only concerned about delivering power to the device, which is what triggered the detonation.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

It's only slightly more complex to trigger when the device enumerates as a keyboard or other off-the-shelf USB device chipset.

Better to do a proper sniffer test for explosives (and other dangerous things) in the mailroom.

It's not the first time someone has tried to murder a journalist using explosives, and sadly it probably won't be the last.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

And that 3 metres is only the recommended limit to assure a working connection. Odds are in many cases greater than 3 metres will work too.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

At one office, we had to connect a computer to a printer (probably USB2), but on opposite sides of a walkway between cubes. H&S rules said no cables on the floor, so we got a long USB extension and ran it up from the computer (on a desk), across the aisle above the ceiling tiles, and then back down again. Well over 3 metres; I think it was a 15 foot cable. Worked fine.

7. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Facepalm

We need a bigger kaboom.

South America ... got to love the place. It's actually a worse hellhole than South Africa.

==== Here you get shot in the head =====================>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We need a bigger kaboom.

You are FAR more likely to be shot in many South American countries than you are in South Africa. South Africa only comes in at number 34 on the list of gun death by country with a gun death rate of 5.98 / 100k population.

Of the countries above it, all except 5 are in the Americas. Top 3 are Venezuela (36.75/100k), El Salvador (36.34/100k), Guatemala (33.06/100k). US is 22nd (10.89/100k).

The 5 countries above SA that are not in the Americas are Iraq (24th 9.72/100k), Eritrea (25th 9.44/100k), Philippines (28th 7.9/100k), Lesotho (29th 7.81/100k), Somalia (30th 7.24/100k).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It *was* number 34. Recently there have been lots of shootings. There was one yesterday near Muizenberg. Involving cops and 3 perps.

South Africa is a strong contender for shit hole of the year this year.

1. sanmigueelbeer

Flamethrower now an option on S. African cars

Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction

More adult question: How do you want your cajones cooked, rare or crispy?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

...and the era of Mad Max gets closer :-(

8. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Joke

Other explanation…….

Other option is that it did not contain explosives, just the latest Microsoft updates.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Other explanation…….

Or a fork bomb?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant. Now we're never going to stop hearing about uber nerds having plexiglass boxes around their stainless steel USB hubs inside their chicken wire boxes in their mums basements.

1. Sp1z

Not entirely sure why you're calling out "uber nerds" here.

Which website do you *think* you're on?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think I'm on El Reg...the last outpost of aging techno dads that seem to hate change because they can't keep up anymore.

2. MisterHappy
      Black Helicopters

Mum's Basement?

I have told everyone, sooooooooo many times, it's not mum's basement, it's..

MY FORTRESS OF POWER!!!!!!

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Mum's Basement?

I think you mean Fortress Of Solitude.....

10. Martin Summers Silver badge

This is presumably the BOFH method of penetration/security testing with staff...

11. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Targeting journalists?

That means all US media organizations are safe. We haven't had any actual journalists since 1968.

12. Bitbeisser

In the US of A (and probably a lot of EU countries) this isn't likely to work. As all mail (unless it is kind of hand delivered by courier) and AFAIK also small packages via UPS, FedEx, DHL are being send through a scanner at the sorting facilities these days that will detect explosives (specially RDX, C4, Semtex), as well as things like Anthrax, so it wouldn't actually reach the intended target in the first place.

13. Luiz Abdala
    Alert

CBRN* checks on the USB payload

Yeah, a vacuum-sealed container filled with boron sand lined with lead and kevlar and with an USB extension cord is a good idea.

Altough a usb stick can carry its own battery and detect the leads being connected to trigger a detonation, even without a USB 5v power, or detection current.

I would suggest some form of rail guide and a relay to push the drive into said USB extension cord port, then powering it up.

*Chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear (CBRN) weapons

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like